My '20 Gauge' Yellow TJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My '20 Gauge' Yellow TJ Build

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher CornersPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 05-25-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My '20 Gauge' Yellow TJ Build

Hey Jeep forum. Thought that i might make a build thread on what ive done to my Jeep. It is a 2001 '20 gauge' yellow TJ that i bought from a Nissan dealership in the summer of 2014. I had had 2 i different craigslist deals fall through before buying this one and realized just how quickly good jeeps can go. Anyway i had saved up all throughout high school working two jobs to pay for my a jeep and was eager to have my very own vehicle. I bought it from the dealership 3 days after it went up on their website. Here is a picture of what it looked like when i brought it home after learning how to drive a stickshift not 30 minutes earlier in a parking lot. (I sure hope the pictures come up)
[URL=http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/sbaum41/media/bringing%20the%20jeep%20home_zpsr7qfcttn.jpg.html]

bringing-jeep-home.jpg

Unread 05-25-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

After I first got it, i did some touch ups such as plasti dip the fenders back to their original black and paint the door handles. All in all it was a very clean jeep when i got it. I think it was female-owned before me, had zero rust (having lived in the south all of its life) and i am pretty sure the doors had never been taken off. The only things aftermarket on it were the American Racing Bajas, a crappy radio and a Bestop Soft top.

Last edited by sbaum41; 05-26-2015 at 07:39 AM..
sbaum41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I got to wheeling it right away. Found out how much fun it is to drive a jeep even in stock form. Most of these pictures are just at local mud holes and power lines. Got stuck bad a few times with those balding street tires and learned the importance of a trail buddy and a tow strap.

Unread 05-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Being naive as i was in my early days of jeep ownership, i thought nothing of driving through some tall grass when me and my friend and my brother were out alone. Unfortunately the jeep hit a wet spot and immediately sunk. We got a four wheeler and my grampa's old Kubota stuck in the process of getting it out and finally requisitioned a neighbor's bobcat to lift the front end of the jeep out. Bent one of those stupid nerf bars somehow too. It was a miserable 4 hours but i am sure everyone has their own horrendous 'gettin stuck' story.
Unread 05-26-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My first trail ride up in the mountains. Went with my dads buddy and his extensively modified cj7. It was an easy trail but helped me learn how drive better offroad.

Unread 05-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #6
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

For Christmas i got some smittybilt trail doors, seat covers and some pro comp explorer lights. I love the LED's, they really light up at night. The trail doors were kind of a pain because we had to shave down the hinges in order to fit inside the TJ door hinges. This is the only picture i have with all the new stuff on it. Lol, when i thought that stock suspension could flex...
Unread 05-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #7
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

For spring break this year, we could not afford to go to the beach or anything, so i convinced the family to go up to Helen for the 2nd annual Boser Wolf Jeep Fest. I had a blast seein' all the sick jeeps. I was going to run the easier parts of the obstacle course but just as my jeep was pullin up to the first obstacle, the engine overheated. I opted out of running the course. Turns out the thermostat went out. Changed it and the radiator hoses when i got home. Had to run around with the heater on full blast the rest of the weekend in 90 degree heat. Still had fun and took alot of pictures.

Unread 05-26-2015, 12:20 AM   #8
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered my BDS 2 inch lift. Unfortunately i would not have enough time to install it before my next trail ride up at Charles Creek. I also removed those stupid nerf bars.

Last edited by sbaum41; 05-26-2015 at 07:13 AM..
sbaum41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #9
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Planned this ride at Charlies Creek for a while, had to cancel once, but finally found a nice day to run the trail. This time my dad's co worker was able to go with his YJ on 35's and a 383 stroker. My jeep was the only one without a V8
Even though i hadn't put the lift on, i still was able to install my JKS quick discos on to run this trail. I had to say that i was impressed with the articulation and performance of the stock suspension. It actually flexed a lot when discoed. Just another testament to how well jeeps were originally designed. Anyway we had a blast running this trail and even ran into some other jeeps too.

Unread 05-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #10
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Saw this cool antique on the side of the highway and thought that it was worth taking a picture of.

Unread 05-26-2015, 06:31 AM   #11
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Painted the headlight bezels black. Not really a fan of chrome.
Unread 05-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #12
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Installed a new radio that i could plug an ipod into and some new Kickers for the sound bar. They sound good and am thinking about just going ahead and changing out all of the speakers.

Unread 05-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So me, my dad and a buddy were able to do install the lift in the garage. Kaughman quoted me $300 for the install but i really just wanted to save the money and do it myself. It took us about 5 hours in all and went on easily. The springs netted me around 2 1/2 inches. I did get minor vibes after the lift was installed. This was due to the rear dana 44's driveshaft being shorter. From what i have read, tj's with factory 44's are more susceptible to vibrations than ones with dana 35s. Any way, i was able to cure the vibes with 4 washers and longer bolts from home depot. Spent alot less than what bds wanted for a tc drop.

Unread 05-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #14
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just some stickers ive put on. Gotta love the infidel one.

Unread 05-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #15
sbaum41
2001 TJ Wrangler 

first time gettin dirty with the new tires. They performed great in the mud. Me and my friend also went and pulled some dudes tahoe out. It was a mess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.