My 2 door jeep cherokee xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 2 door jeep cherokee xj

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 05-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
michel1972
1993 XJ Cherokee 

2 door longarm jeep cherokee xj

Hello,

My name is Michel and i live in the Netherlands and this is my standard cherokee xj as i bought it in 2007

And this is my car as it is today.

Last edited by michel1972; 05-16-2009 at 05:33 AM..
michel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
digitalcox
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is a big XJ. Nice progression photos of the vehicle during a few years. What kind of setup is on it currently?

-Justin
digitalcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

What axles are you running under it?
4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
michel1972
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcox View Post
That is a big XJ. Nice progression photos of the vehicle during a few years. What kind of setup is on it currently?

-Justin

Thanx for looking.

I will post all the details soon.

Last edited by michel1972; 05-16-2009 at 04:55 AM..
Unread 05-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #5
michel1972
1993 XJ Cherokee 

In march 2007 i sold my Grand Cherokee because i was fallen in love for a 2 door cherokee xj which i saw on the internet. I love the 2 doors versions and within 24 hours i was the happy owner off a 2 door cherokee xj from 1993 with 80000 miles on the clock. It's a very simple car with a 5 speed manual gearbox and a airco.

When i got the car and it was standing in my garage i was searching for papers off the previous owners. I found a certificate of title from the previous owner and that was Doug Chandler. The yamaha racing driver. He had this cherokee from 1993 until 2003. Than it was shipped from the states too Holland ( Europe ) I bought it from the driver who had this car until march 2007. Tha car had no rust and no damages and the paint was still in great condition.

After my first offroad trip i found out that it did nice but not that nice offroad. So i decided too change my car in a more capable offroad machine. Just like more other countries we have regulations that tell you what you can and can not do with your car. Every year we must make sure that the car has a new APK ( that is a dutch name for the rules the government made for cars) So the changes you make at your car must still be within the APK rules. If you pass those rules your car will not get a apk approval and you are allowed too restore your car too the apk rules. If that is not possible you can only use your car for offroad trips and that is a problem in Holland bacause when you go offroad you can only drive at special areas and those areas are only allowed when your car has a APK regulation and is insured. So if your car is not APK approved your car is worthless.

So after searching on the internet i decided too buy a complete 6.5 inch suspension lift with the extra options like a SYE , Tom Woods driveshaft , Steering Upgrade and steering box brace. In holland we have a few companies who sell those liftkist and all the extra's but that is not cheap. In Holland the SYE with driveshaft cost 1040 dollars. In the States i had too pay 550 dollars. And shipping it too Holland and paying the taxes will cost me 300 dollars. So it's still cheapier too buy it in the States than here in holland. That is the same with all the other stuff i order in the States. I also bought me some new 32 inch toyo tranpath tires. The tires just fitted without trimming the fenders. After a few offroad trips i decided to get me some bigger tires. I bought 33 inch fedima sirocco tires. They are a copy off the famous simex tires. They dont drive that well on the street but offroad they know how too kick soms dirt! But as you can see on a few pictures , these tires also have their limits. I also found out that i had too do some big trimming too allow those tires under my car.

In april 2008 i decided to go a step further with my cherokee. I was still driving with the standard front dana 30 27 spline axle and the rear 8.25 27 spline axle with a standard 3.07 gear ratio. So i began looking for another gear ratio and heavier axle shafts because i was thinking about buying bigger tires. As i told earlier it's very expensive here in holland too buy and change those axles too make them stronger and better. In the states i found a complete set off 2 axles that were cherokee ready. The front axle was a dana 30 HP with 30 spline axle shafts , full locker and a 4.88 gear ratio. The rear was a dana 44 axle with 33 spline axle shafts , full locker and also a 4.88 gear ratio.

Within one week those axles were shipped too my adres in Holland. Now i got a bigger gear ratio i decided too buy 34 inch superswamper tires. Because 6.5 inches is the limit for normal controll arms. I bought some parts too make myself a long arm suspension system. The springs and leaves were homemade here in holland. I also put a airsnorkel and roofrack on my cherokee xj. I had too adjust the swaybar. The swaybar must be kept on the car. That is just one off those APK rules here in Holland. I am allowed too put some quick disconnects on my cherokee. So i changed the swaybar and put the disconnects on my ride. With the swaybar still locked i can drive with 70 mph without any problems. My lift was allready 10 inches now.

In august 2008 i started again too change my cherokee. I wanted too go higher and put 37 inch superswamper iroks under my cherokee. Also i wanted too get rid off the standard swaybar with disconnect. I bought a secondhand curry antirock swaybar. I also relocated the steering brace and trackbar. That was necessary to get a perfect steering / trackbar angle too avoid the death wobble. My steering linkage and trackbar are now parallel. The springs and leaves again were homemade. The springs gave me a 12 inch lift and the leaves gave me a 10 inch lift. I also had too made a homemade steal shim with a 8 degree angle. That angle is necessary too put my axle and driveshaft in a perfect line. My cherokee is now lifted 13 inches without using blocks. Next month ( april 2009 ) i will test my new springs , leaves and antirock swaybar offroad. And if you ask me is this the end of lifting my ride i can tell you no it isn't.

Last edited by michel1972; 05-16-2009 at 05:26 AM..
Unread 05-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
xBlackBettyx
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How much higher to you want to go? If you go much higher your going to need a ladder to get into the cherokee anymore.
xBlackBettyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

very nice! I have a friend with a jeep that looks like that, except he is only running 9.5in of lift and 35" tires. He could probably fit much larger tires, but tires are expensive. I don't see the need to run 13 inches, that's amazing!
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
TYphoonXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I Love It!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 08-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
deltl1ks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Gawd I wish I had money like that. :cheers
I want to buy that two door Xj now up the road and start what you have done.
deltl1ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
LongArmXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Any updates?
LongArmXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
black96xj
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I want to see a picture of the shims in the rear under the leaves. there is no way you got 13" with just leaves and looks like 2" shackles. so please, post pics of that so we can all see those 11" custom leaf springs you have on that thing.
black96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
black96xj
1988 XJ Cherokee 

oh and just so everyone knows, Im not just talking ****......mine is 11" with 35s and bushwackers, looks similar to his and guess what....i had to use blocks for the extra 2.5 inches.

Unread 11-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
black96xj
1988 XJ Cherokee 

and not to throw salt in the wound.....look at the flex he has in the rear....holy crap!! Now granted, this picture was only 8", but look at the difference, and this is with STOCK flares.

so even when someone has a "super expensive lift kit for 13 inches" if it doesnt flex all the way around, its still garbage. You are the reason the rest of us with big lifts get made fun of.
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
black96xj
1988 XJ Cherokee 

and before someone says, "but he's on 37s", those are brand new 35s, so yes, 37s would have still fit with rubbing......hence the bushwackers.
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wow 96blackxj, you ok there? Need to vent a little? You do realize this thread is nearly 2 years old right?

By the way if you care to look at his second picture, look carefully now, you will see his rear shackles top bolt is BELOW the body. Obviously a lot more than 2" shackles going on there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.