My 1988 Jeep YJ build! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 1988 Jeep YJ build!

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 04-27-2015, 01:03 AM   #1
Aproskey
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My 1988 Jeep YJ build!

Hey y'all!

First thread on here but starting in the next few weeks I'm going to start my basically full rebuild on my Jeep!

Few things i have planned right now is:

-Repaint
-Swap rear axle with an ford 8.8 with ARB lockers in them
-Possibly a Dana 44 front end with ARB lockers
-Rebuild my 4.2 inline 6 (just got a brand new ax15 in January)
-Howell fuel injection system
-Rebuild front end and put a 4.5 lift on
-New tires (obviously)
and many more but when I get started I'll be updating with Pictures and all that good stuff!

This is my first jeep and by summer end (and about 6 grand later..) this thing is going to be amazing hopefully

Some suggestions being new to some of this is what Gears should I run if I'm running 34's on this thing.

Keep on the lookout in the next few weeks for the build to start!

This is what she looks like right now!

11037549_918487818203105_5824258235815189494_n.jpg

Roll tide y'all!

Aproskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you have a good plan and great starting point. As far as gears go it really depends your budget, the 8.8 has 4.10s stock so you can save money by keeping that and picking up a stock dana 30 from a 4CYL which has 4.10s. If your going to stay with 34's the dana 30 up front should do just fine. Also is there any reason you wouldn't just pick up a 4.0 out of a 90+? If your going to rebuild the 4.2 and add fuel injection it will be easier/cheaper to just grab a used 4.0 seeing as you already have an ax-15. Just my opinion and I'm by no means an expert, I'm sure smarter people than me will chime in. I'll make sure to follow along and give some input when I can
Unread 04-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
jeep50

Better pics PLEASE
jeep50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
Aproskey
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShwin14 View Post
Looks like you have a good plan and great starting point. As far as gears go it really depends your budget, the 8.8 has 4.10s stock so you can save money by keeping that and picking up a stock dana 30 from a 4CYL which has 4.10s. If your going to stay with 34's the dana 30 up front should do just fine. Also is there any reason you wouldn't just pick up a 4.0 out of a 90+? If your going to rebuild the 4.2 and add fuel injection it will be easier/cheaper to just grab a used 4.0 seeing as you already have an ax-15. Just my opinion and I'm by no means an expert, I'm sure smarter people than me will chime in. I'll make sure to follow along and give some input when I can

Actually, that sounds like a way better idea than putting in all the money to rebuild my 4.2 and then another 1300 for the howell system. This is my first jeep and I love yjs so i figured it would be better to build mine because its basically rust free all around. Did you do the SOA conversion on yours? If so what lift and tires are you running?
Unread 04-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aproskey
Actually, that sounds like a way better idea than putting in all the money to rebuild my 4.2 and then another 1300 for the howell system. This is my first jeep and I love yjs so i figured it would be better to build mine because its basically rust free all around. Did you do the SOA conversion on yours? If so what lift and tires are you running?

I have a 4" lift with 33's to get extra clearance I cut the rear wheel wells and added poison spyder corner guards, also flat fenders up front. Check out my build for some pictures. I'll be doing my 8.8 swap this winter (already have all the stuff) and will be staying spring under
Unread 05-07-2015, 11:37 PM   #6
Aproskey
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Little update! Finally got around to putting a new windshield hinge on. And it was a B**** to do. Next up im getting the bedliner done. My dads bestfriend owns the rinoliner store around here so I'm getting them to do it instead of me!
image-2775457114.jpg

Unread 05-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #7
Aproskey
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep50
Better pics PLEASE
here Ya go
image-2698536494.jpg

Unread 05-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
Aproskey
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So yesterday as I was driving my rear diff blew up so now I'm thinking of just doing the replacement now. Or seeing if it's just the spider gears that blew up and replace those for the time being.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.