Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My 1977 CJ5 Build

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  notforsale 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I had my old build thread deleted so I could start fresh and clean things up a little.
Thanks for checking out my build! Here goes...
My 1977 Jeep CJ5 was given to me by my grandfather around November of 2008. Right away we began working to make the Jeep road ready as it would be my first daily driver. After things like a new fuel tank, carb rebuild, steering gearbox rebuild (didnt do a dang thing), tires, etc I started into the more cosmetic things like new hinges, seats, started working on a new bumper, console, etc etc.I saved enough money to have it painted about the time we decided to move back to our hometown. It sat in my uncles airplane hangar for a couple months before I brought it to our new home. During that time I had sorta lost interest. However recently I started into it again. It has some minor issues with the brakes I am looking into right now, put a new master cyl in a few days ago, and am now trying to spot a leak somewhere on the front drivers side caliper. Anyways, I love my Jeep, always said I'd never sell it and after numerous offers and oppourtunities I never did. My Jeep has very special memories and meaning to me. JF and its members have always been very helpful and inspiring. I hope you guys stick around to see the finished product, and enjoy it as much as I do.

Plans:
4" (or so) of lift with either 33s or 35s (probably 33s opinions welcome)
Bedlined Tub
New trans
New axles
New motor (another undecided)
Home fabbed rock sliders
Warn winch
A soft top would be nice for winter
Wheels
etc, etc...the normal

I had alot of pictures to sort so I picked a few to start with. Little by little I'll try to get them all uploaded and in order, but this will do for now. Some dates are incorrect on the pictures.

Arrival:

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Cleaning up/painting hubs etc, installing new tires.

Just a picture of the motor not long after the Jeep was brought home.

Cleaned up and road ready. (soft top came off same day)

New seats

Home made console to house my new radio and speakers.

Back seat installed

Cleaned up some rust/ rough spots and sprayed with primer.

Getting ready for paint

After paint. A stage I was very excited about!

As it sits

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#4 ·
We got some time saturday night to mess with the Jeep some since we got it back in the shop. Calipers are ordered and on the way, master cylinder is installed. We took some random parts off like the trailer hitch bar, console, and started back on the bumper. Got the top plate welded in and the welds ground down some. Still alot to do with the bumper.

Abigail, my fiance and sidekick.

Progress is still slow. Trying to get the ball rolling but its slowly speeding up as we go!

#7 ·
Thank you very much. I have been working on my bumper mostly as of right now. I figured I would just be simple and show the progress from now forward since I cant remember details anyway. Until I get the bumper finished this is all I have. Lots of welding, grinding, welding, grinding...you get it :)
Anyways thanks for the reply. I will have more pics of the bumper soon. Still deciding on bending some tubing for a hoop on top or welding shackle mounts and leaving it as is.
Again thank you for your reply :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.