My 06 Unlimited Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 06 Unlimited Build

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 05-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
dangerz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My 06 Unlimited Build

My end goal of this build is to find a comfortable middle between trail and road use. We originally purchased the Jeep so we can go camping in harder to reach spots, but the mod bug has hit me and we all know how that is.

Here's how it stood the day I got it:

~29,000 miles. 6 speed I6. 4 inch budget lift. Dick Cepek Crusher tires. Banks Monster exhaust. Interior and body are in great condition.

Here's the latest:

First thing I needed to address was the speedometer. The previous owner did the lift, but never updated the speedo gear. That was an easy change.

Electronic Mod List
Tinted Turn Signals w/ HALO Headlights | Jeep Computer 1 | Upgraded Headlight Harness and CB Install | Jeep Computer 2 | Waterproofing Headlight Harness

Mechanical Mod List
PSC Hood Louvers | eAutoGrills Front / Rear Bumper + Tire Carrier install

Warn xd9000i Rebuild
Initial Major Cleaning | Part 2, Primer | Part 2a, Paint Done | Part 2b, In-Cab Control Parts | Part 3, Before/After | Part 4, Solenoid Wiring | Part 5, In-Cab Control Install

Misc List
Black Stickers | Diff Fluid Change

Wheeling
Bridgeport, TX | Bridgeport, TX 7.14.12 | Tolar, TX 9.15.12

dangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
dangerz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Next thing I did was paint the headlight covers black. I don't like chrome stuff and this was a rather simple mod, so I took care of it.

I still have these chrome sidesteps that I really don't like, but I'll have to live with those for a while. My birthday is in a month and the wife has told me to expect Jeeper stuff. No problem with that.

Speaking of, here's her and the Jeep on go topless day:

It was our first time riding with the doors off. Our last car was a vette and she wasn't a big fan of having the roof off, so I wasn't sure how she'd take this. She seemed to really like it though so it worked out.
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
dangerz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nothing special today.. I took off the nerf bars to try it out. I like the way it looks, but functionally it is a pain to get in and out of the Jeep. I'm going to keep it like this for a few days so I can get used to it.

I also finally got my registration and OHV stickers. I didn't realize I had such a small windshield until I tried to find a spot for these stickers. I hate stickers but unfortunately I don't have a choice with these.

Next on the list of things to order is Currie AntiSway bars. I'm going wheeling this weekend. That should give me an idea of the direction I really want to go.
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice clean LJ , and a smiling wife in the passenger seat is a good sign

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
02crewcab

nice jeep man. if you dont like the step bars, but like having it as a step to get into the tj, why not buy/build a set of rock sliders with a hoop on the outside. itll be smaller and better looking that nerf bars, have more functionality, and you could still use it as step into the jeep. just my .2 cents
02crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
WildBlue
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What part of FW you from? I live on the SW side...I have a 97 TJ....you might have seen me around? Where you going wheeling, if you don't mind me asking? I have been all over this area, Clayton, Katemcy, Gilmer...etc.
WildBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
dangerz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Nice clean LJ , and a smiling wife in the passenger seat is a good sign
I totally agree :]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02crewcab View Post
nice jeep man. if you dont like the step bars, but like having it as a step to get into the tj, why not buy/build a set of rock sliders with a hoop on the outside. itll be smaller and better looking that nerf bars, have more functionality, and you could still use it as step into the jeep. just my .2 cents
Thanks dude. That's actually the plan for going forward. I'm hoping I can sell these nerf bars and use that money towards a set of rock sliders. I'd love to build a set, but my experience is in software and hardware/electronics development, not this type of building. I could solder many small wires to a microprocessor and then program it to do stuff, but I'm not sure how much of that translates into metal working :]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
What part of FW you from? I live on the SW side...I have a 97 TJ....you might have seen me around? Where you going wheeling, if you don't mind me asking? I have been all over this area, Clayton, Katemcy, Gilmer...etc.
I live in Wedgwood which is South Fort Worth (next to the Hulen mall). I haven't done wheeling much yet but this weekend I'm going up to Bridgeport with a bunch of guys from the lone star jeep club. I just started getting into this stuff so I don't know any real good spots yet.
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I see you took the milk jugs off the bumpers. Good move.

That's a sweet lookin' jeep.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
WildBlue
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dude I live right around the corner, I live in Overton Park...small world. Yeah I know about LSJC, I knew most of the members back when they were JNT(Jeeps of North Texas) before they were forced to change their name. I haven't made it up to Bridgeport yet...I have heard a lot about it though. I already have plans this weekend. I used to run with the guys from FWD-FWD but haven't been out in a long while. When you get ready for steering upgrades PSC is about 10 mins down I-20 west, and I know a bunch of guys at 4 Wheel Parts over off Camp Bowie. If you stop in there tell Kendall I said ["Hi". LOL if you need any help let me know...I could stop by and help turn a wrench sometime.

<----this is an old picture of my junk, it has different seats and different wheels and tires now. This photo is circa 2005 and is at the Hooters up there off Hulen-ish area. If you see me on Hulen, honk and wave.
WildBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
dangerz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Heh ya, you're 5 mins away. We have friends that live right around you. I'll keep an eye out for you. Let me know if you ever go out somewhere. We lived in Benbrook for a few years, but then I moved out to Florida for a job at the Cape. Just got back in Texas a few months ago and it's good to be back with real BBQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
I see you took the milk jugs off the bumpers. Good move.

That's a sweet lookin' jeep.
Thanks brother.. and ya, that was the first thing to go. They look like weird bubbles.
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerz View Post
I haven't done wheeling much yet but this weekend I'm going up to Bridgeport with a bunch of guys from the lone star jeep club.
I meet some of the lone star jeep club member a few weeks ago at superlift park. They are a great bunch of guys.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
dangerz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I got an early bday gift from the wifey. It is a set of tinted parking lights and halo headlights. The headlights are a little dimmer than the normal headlights, but I'll run them for a bit and see how I like them. The halo effect looks kinda cool.

Here's how it looks when they're on. You can barely tell they're there when there's any light around. It's only when it's dark that you can see them.

So I'm going on my first wheeling adventure tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. This'll be a good baseline for the Jeep. Now when I add stuff, I can reference back to when it was "stock".
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
dangerz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Some cool shots from wheeling today.

I had a blast out there. After I got home, I claybarred and waxed the Jeep. I love wheeling but I hate having a dirty car :/
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
dangerz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Small update to the build. This is a little bit of a different type of update in that nothing's been added to the Jeep yet. I'm actually working on a little Jeep computer. Some of the things I want out of it are:

- Tilt display
- Garage Door Control
- Lock/Unlock the center console. I hate when it's locked and I turn the car on, only to have to turn the car off to unlock it.
- Turn lights on/off
- Display GPS waypoint information
- Record my GPS trail

.. and that's just some of the ideas that I have for it so far. Here's a quick picture I took of some of the supplies for it:

Tonight I got the tilt sensor part working. I have an 8x8 LED Matrix but I'm only using 7x7 of it (thought I might use one of the leftover rows to show g-force, but seeing as how this is the Jeep I doubt I'll get anymore than 1 or 2 bars). When the Jeep is flat, the center LED is lit. When it's tilted either forward or to the side, the LED moves to show just how tilted I am. It's more of a pretty light show than anything else since the easiest way to tell how tilted you are is to simply look out the window. Anyway, here's a video showing the functionality. The actual degrees will be output to a screen.

Anyway, that's just the beginning of it. Next step is to build a menu system and hook up a keypad so I can passcode protect it all. Then I'm going to hook up the relays and start connecting them to things. I also need to figure out how I'm going to mount everything in the Jeep. The Arduino will be mounted in the center console since it's waterproof-ish. Everything else can have cables reaching out to wherever it needs to be.
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
dangerz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Had a whole bunch of stuff come in for the Jeep today. It's my 30th birthday on Friday, so my wife picked up a CB for me with a Firestick 4' antenna. The antenna hasn't come in yet, but a whole bunch of other stuff did.

I got brighter H4 bulbs. I'm going to upgrade the wiring harness before I install them using this tutorial. Hopefully I can do that before the weekend.

I also got replacement stickers. I don't like shiny stickers on vehicles, so I ordered a set of flat black Jeep stickers and a "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" sticker. This little cosmetic mod was surprisingly easy. Here's the before shot:

I decided I didn't want the Unlimited sticker either, so the first step was removing that:

Next I took off the Jeep sticker and applied the flat black one. Here's the final shot:

It's very subtle. You can tell it's there but it's not all in your face. Fortunately I ordered 2 sets because the first 2 I put on were crooked.

After that, I applied the other sticker in the back. Again, flat black:

I'll get some better shots during the day. I love how the look came out. With these stickers removed, I think I'm finally rid of all the shinyness on the outside of the vehicle. No more chrome and no more shiny silver stickers. The next sticker (and probably final) I have on order is this:

I'm really proud of where I work and while I don't like to really advertise that I work here, this is subtle enough to support my group but not in your face. Still not sure where I'm going to place it since it hasn't arrived yet (that picture is from the seller).

Anyway, that's all for tonight. Plans for this weekend are to install the CB and at the end of the month, I'll probably order the Currie Anti-Sway bars. Can't wait for that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.