Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
764K views 7K replies 261 participants last post by  Hendrix 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a better update to this build. There is a ton of pages of banter in this build so I figured a condensed version will help newcomers to the forum.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/flop-project-cliff-notes-edition-1272067/

I started with a piece of junk I purchased off Craigslist.

After the complete paint job and 33s

I wanted a solid DD built to drive to and from the trail. I put the Jeep on 33s, then quickly sold them to go to 35s, Just days after I finished the build all but the rear D44 and the HP30. I was hit by a careless driver and flopped the Jeep on its side. Then there was a new plan to build a Jeep on 37s with a 104" WB. The rest in history dumped somewhere in the next 400+ pages.

Then the DD almost done:

The Flop that help fun phase 2 of the build:

Taken today: 11/7/2010

See less See more
#679 ·
For heims, contact rod end supply, I got some heims from ballistic also, but for whatever reason they take forever to ship those. Rod end supply has pretty much anything you want in stock and is not expensive.
here is their link Rod End Supply - We Don't Just Sell Em, We Race Em!
Just down load their catalog and find what you want or just call the guy.
He has some rod ends in stock that take Ballistic and Genright weeks to order

#680 ·
That is a pretty sweet blue. Your Jeep will really pop with that bright color (like it doesn't already with the red :laugh:)

#681 ·
I dig that fuel cell cradle. That's pretty badass. Have you figured out how much the fuel cell set-up with all the fixins will be?

#682 ·
RCI cell. 245.00

Lines and fittings Jegs. 110.00

K.O.R.E fuel pump rings 100.00

Jimmys 4x4 cradle 270.00

Bling factor of killer dimple die cradle= Priceless

Yeah, I could have put a stretch tank in my Junk cheaper, But I would not have been able to stay with my short arms and have a 103.5 inch wheelbase with a Killer exit angle.:duhrock::duhrock:

#684 ·
That set up would be good ,but the set up I am currently running is good for me. I have already spent the money for the Rokmen Arms and the TnT rear truss. I will just put in the fuel cell and the 10 inch piece of steel in the frame rails. I will check on getting that outboard kit from panda though.

#686 ·
That looks like some great flex. One of these days I will step up to long arms and coil overs But not in the near future.

I removed the front and rear bumpers today. Cleaned them up and Posted them for-sale.

I really like the look of no bumper, I am going to really like the Rokmen rear crossmember. Also I have a L-TJ Rokmen front bumper winch plate coming I cannot wait to get this on either.

I am going to take the idle time to clean up the frame a little and paint.

I will also run my wires for my electric fan,front and rear lockers.

I also think I will clean the hell out of the interior and dye the dash,console and door panels. This is also a great time to run those wires. And spray the inside Tub with some Bedliner.

"If" I can remove the cage I will weld in a rear spreader and paint the wimpy factory cage.

I also found a Local race shop that has Heims and Links already made. The Links are already cut to standard lenths and threaded for Heims. I just have to take my measurements down there and shop. They have Chromoly,Aluminum, and DOM.

Looks like I got myself a busy week. My axles will be here on Monday or Tuesday of next week. :duhrock:

#2,406 ·
I also think I will clean the hell out of the interior and dye the dash,console and door panels. This is also a great time to run those wires. And spray the inside Tub with some Bedliner.
Hey man I have been reading over your thread. This is from a WHILE ago. I bought my jeep a couple of months ago and the retard that had it spray painted my dash black. I don't mind the dash but it is looking like crap. Can you tell me what you did to your so it would turn out like it did. Or another way that someone with little painting skill could do to make it look good. Thanks.

#689 ·
Thanks for trying. I have them purchased. He said he may get them down to the dock today. If not Thursday at the latest. :rtft:

Yes I will be at the next INDY barn burning. :rofl: We had so much fun on the trail and at the camp who could miss out on doing it all over again.:cheers2:

#690 ·
I don't know If I ever posted this or not.

Here goes. I used to have a problem with the 32rh puking trans fluid after I installed the 4.88 gears. I recently installed a deep pan and checked all my lines. I had my external cooler running back into my radiators tranny cooler. I now have no problems with the trans puking fluid at Hwy speeds. :D

I used to have a wet trans skid and transfercase skid. Now they are bone dry after 1200 miles.

I will not be updating my build daily I am getting bored.

I will only post pictures as things change. Later.

#693 ·
Confused. I guess you are talking about my Antirock? And yes it is great. I had worn swaybar bushings and orfab disconects. So the antirock was a huge improvement.

I guess my addiction is worse than my Dr. pepper addiction. I purchased the steel for my stretch today. It will be ready monday. They are also going to bend me new wheel house tubs for the tub.

#698 · (Edited)
Todays progress will be finish dyeing the interior.
Before:

After:

I have to prep the Jeep for my axle swap. I can not get any motivation. It is so hot out side. I need to make a list this way it will motivate me to do something.

I need to stretch the rear next Saturday.
I will have everything needed by Tuesday of this week.

Problem is I will have to wait to have my DS lenthend on Monday or Tuesday the following week.
  1. relocate the gas tank to the tub for now.
  2. order the conversion yokes from tom woods for the JK's.
  3. cut the front shock towers and weld in the Ford towers.
  4. order my fuel fittings from Summit racing.
  5. I could go ahead and Comp cut the rear.
  6. wire the front and rear lockers to my daystar switch panel
  7. wire the electric fan to my daystar switche panel
  8. intstall new cd player and sound bar speakers
There is more to do but I am overwhelmed now.

#699 ·
There is more to do but I am overwhelmed now.
I hear ya man, Just try not to think too far ahead, keep your eyes on the project in front of you, and eyes on the prize, try not to think about everything in between.

#700 · (Edited)
Got the interior shot today. Going out to put everything back in pictures to follow.

I got to replace the steering wheel now for sure.

Cut off my exhaust today also. Going to do a turn down and out sometime this week. It was hitting the upper control arm at full bump.

Also found out the rear spring on the passenger side is hitting the track bar bolt. It will be fixed when the rear axle goes in and the spring buckets are relocated.

#701 ·
More pictures of dash.

I have to put some bedliner in there now definatly. And some seats.

Anyone know where I should get power for my lockers? I really do not have a clue if they just need 12v or should I put a relay in line? This is next on the list so I can put the Cd player back in.

#702 ·
It looks much fresher, but almost too dark. What made you dye them rather than paint? I think it looks great still.

#703 ·
Intresting that you ask. Dye would be a technical term for painting. Because it was just recently they started manufacturing a "paint " that would stick to plastic panels without and adhesion problems. I used Fusion satin black paint. The color is a little to dark I agree. I hope with theblack bed liner in and the black carpet from a JF member and new seats it will bring it all together.

My Rig is a 97 with lots of "Mudding trips" The guy I purchased It from loved to get muddy. He used 4 Low, 36" baja belted tires and 3.07 gears. Real rocket scientist he was. :rofl::rofl:

#704 ·
Ah... Ok. I see, you were just being more technical. There is a paint shop in town that has something like 100 different Chrysler plastic OEM paint colors (all various grays). The Agate color is nice because it isn't too dark.

The bed liner should really help with mud and insulation. If you decide to leave the carpet out, it will match pretty well too.

#705 ·
Once you start screwing with a Jeep, it just never ends does it?
I would use 2 relay's for the lockers.
I know your pain about building up a Jeep, my tinker toy has a long way to go yet. Was a hot and sweaty day but got a fair amount done

#706 ·
Jon, the locker needs a relay and inline fuse, also, it's 12v. Any 12v switch will work.

#711 ·
Subliminal Message that you missed... read it again and look carefully.

#712 · (Edited)
Im a dork. I know. But i still can not do links like that. Not really using Monstaliner. Got some stuff made by SEM. It looks superb. And I have used it before. :thumbsup:

Today, I will run the wires for the lockers, Clean the tub. I have to remove some sound deadening pads some one installed years ago. The sand and prep for bed liner.

Also thinking I may go back to a engine mounted Fan. I am tired of the noise that mine makes it sounds like a Hurricane is coming.

#714 ·
To do a link like that, you write what you want, highlight it, then click the link button.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.