Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
764K views 7K replies 261 participants last post by  Hendrix 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a better update to this build. There is a ton of pages of banter in this build so I figured a condensed version will help newcomers to the forum.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/flop-project-cliff-notes-edition-1272067/

I started with a piece of junk I purchased off Craigslist.

After the complete paint job and 33s

I wanted a solid DD built to drive to and from the trail. I put the Jeep on 33s, then quickly sold them to go to 35s, Just days after I finished the build all but the rear D44 and the HP30. I was hit by a careless driver and flopped the Jeep on its side. Then there was a new plan to build a Jeep on 37s with a 104" WB. The rest in history dumped somewhere in the next 400+ pages.

Then the DD almost done:

The Flop that help fun phase 2 of the build:

Taken today: 11/7/2010

See less See more
#644 ·
Ok, one last question about that safari top...

Drill in header? or what?

**** it, how about a part number?

#646 ·
Ok, one last question about that safari top...

Drill in header? or what?

**** it, how about a part number?
The part number is at home. and yes a no drill header is what i have. you can pick those up cheap on CL or JF classifieds. I got my original one for 65 with the no drill header.

#649 ·
I'm thinking about the same thing...

Although it gets mighty cold here so I might have to keep my soft top around.

#650 ·
A friend of mine has them under his 4 door JK and does some pretty gnarly stuff with them. It;s supercharged and he either runs 37 nitto grapplers or 39" military tires with them. He has taken that thing on several hammer trails and has also broken the front chromo axles. He is a very good wheeler that is not heavy on the gas pedal but does pick fairly exotic lines. Nobody said they are bad axles.
Just for the amount of work involved it's not that big a step up from a tj or xk dana 44 or a 8.8 for that matter. For the front it does make sense if you want to run 5.13 gears or 5.38s.

#651 ·

5.13s, 37" MT/Rs...and not a nice person to it.

It's for sale, he's moving onto his next project...

I'm not arguing that you CAN'T break a JK44...but it is a venerable option to about 39-40" tires...chromo shafts and a truss being needed at the end of that.

#652 ·
Alrighty people who give a dam. I just sent the guy money for the axles. I just gave in I am tired of searching for a set of axles. So they will be shipped Tuesday through yellow freight. I cannot build to fully locked front and rears for 2700 . I will now have to sell the parts in my classified ad to finish this build. So come on people get you some gently used quality parts before someone else does. Thanks for all tge offers to go get the axles. In the end it will only cost 300 or so to ship. They just had me freaked out that I would have to pay a cod charge for the difference when they get to the dock. So pictures from the loading dock to come. :rtft:

#660 ·
Glad to hear they are on thier way Jonboy. Do yourself a favor and track down what year they are before you take all the stickers off.

#663 · (Edited)
They give you some urethane bushings, I cut mine out and welded some Currie 2" Johny joints in it definitely helps the flex. Just buy 2 of the 2" joints not the TJ upgrade kit

Johnny Joint®
Thanks those will work. I will have JJ s on all ends of my links with those. I talked to Rod at TnT today. The D44 truss I have will work with a small amount of modifications for the JK 44 rear. I think I will be removing everything that is for-sale later on this week. Have a happy 4th everyone. Later.

So I just need to press these in the truss then tack weld? I guess It would be better to dissasemble the Joints to weld?

#669 ·
I am currently removing the front and rear Warn bumpers. I have the rear almost off and ran out of day light. They are for a CJ or YJ. I believe they fit a CJ. I modified them to fit my TJ. I could not believe how much the Warn bumper protruded out the front of my frame the way I had to mount it. I will have a much better approach angle now.

I have a new Rokmen front frame cover type front bumper. Also a Rokmen rear cross member bumper that will become my rear cross member and body mounts when I stretch the rear. I talked to Sean on Wednesday. He said my parts will be welded by Jeff later this coming week. They are busy finishing project "Skip Wheat"

The gas tank will come out this week to be moved to the inside of the tub in preperation for the RCI fuel cell. I will be selling the tank and Rokmen gas tank skid.

Jimmys4x4 is making me a Fuel cell mounting cradle for my 15 gallon fuel cell.

Attachments

#670 ·
The rear is the hitch version? How much are you asking?

#674 ·
Talk to Flatlander757 before getting the Ballistic Fab parts. Major issues with premature failure and bad customer service. He even has a better suggestion for a supplier.

#676 · (Edited)
Yeah, I read his thread with the problems he has had with there rod ends for Links. I only need the 3/4 inch ones for steering.

On another note, I will be comp cutting for my stretch. I have talked to -Sean- alot on the phone. He and I agree our Jeeps look to much alike. I will be changing to this color after the stretch is done. Just because I wanted a Blue or White Jeep originally. I do like the way my Red jeep looks but. I can do this for just about $nothing$. Just think about Seans Jeep but this color.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.