Mulvihill64's '02 Blue Obsession - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Mulvihill64's '02 Blue Obsession

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mulvihill64's '02 Blue Obsession

I'll try and keep a current picture up at the top here:

I figured i'll start this thread now, before I start forgetting things, and as hopefully there will be some good stuff coming soon. I bought the jeep in August of 2012, right before my senior year in High School. I had spent months looking for a good deal on a wrangler near me and this one seemed to fit the bill. If only I had known what I knew now... Anyway, here she is the day I bought her, 2002 Wrangler X, 108K Miles.

stock.jpg

I had a great time driving her around stock, but, since the stock tires were balding anyway, I figured it was time to go bigger. I picked 31's because I needed to be able to run them without a lift - or so I thought. I realized soon after I ordered them that I could afford a lift, so i bought and installed teraflex 2" spacer lift.

31s-mounted-.jpg

I went offroading for the first time with some buddies from High School, unfortunately they were pickup owners that were big into mudding.
It was a good time, until I had to clean up the aftermath, and saw the extra wear and tear it inflicts on the jeep. I've since decided to avoid mudding as much as I can.

muddy-ew-.jpg

I picked up some KC driving lights for Christmas
Poser Pic

poser-flex.jpg

In February I flooded my auto transmission, so the rebuild took out a large chunk of my jeep budget for that spring. Luckily however, I found a dana 44 out of a sport being parted out for only $400. When I called the seller, he said he had only posted the ad on craigslist an hour before. I picked it up later that day.

dana-44-dirty.jpg

Cleaned her up that week, and swapped it in the morning after prom, with help from my girlfriend

dana-44-painted.jpg

Next, I pulled the carpet and bedlined the interior. I highly recommend Monstaliner, it is a superior product, and the customer service I received from Magnetman was outstanding. He ensured my order was shipped out in time for use that weekend.

bedliner.jpg

Last week, I cleaned and repainted the entire front suspension and axle. I also ordered a Metalcloak Front Track Bar, which will hopefully be getting here sometime this week.
Nice and Clean

front-suspension-painted.jpg

Well that's got me pretty well caught up, hopefully I'll have some new updates pretty soon.

The Jeep at the end of last summer:

current-picture-1-5-14-.jpg

Im still somewhat undecided on my plan for this summer, I would like to either work towards a built rig on 33's, or run 35's the right way. I'm open to advice or opinions on that decision, ill need all the help I can get

Mulvihill64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up and installed a new tb gasket and mopar gas cap - hopefully this should eliminate the whistling noise and my check engine light.
image-2118720493.jpg

Unread 01-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
d1backwoods
2010 JK Wrangler 

avoiding mud (two thumbs up). very good progress!
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Not jeep related but my project for today:
Getting a 1968 Dodge Polara Running... She's been sitting for 5 years or so so lets see if I get her running today
image-2494427500.jpg

Unread 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Success!
image-3521364487.jpg

Unread 01-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I received my Metalcloak track bar yesterday, and got it installed today. I was very impressed with it's quality upon receiving it. After installing it, I took my jeep for a spin on the highway, and I was blown away with how smooth the handling was. It completely eliminated the shimmy at 50-55 mph, and there is no shaking of the steering wheel anymore. Also, just to add, I am running BDS 2" springs, and found the track bar centered my axle just fine when adjusted as short as it can go.
image-3506026811.jpg

image-1008540225.jpg

Unread 01-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
d1backwoods
2010 JK Wrangler 

sweet!!! Looks great. Probably gonna go with that same trackbar on my JK
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1backwoods
sweet!!! Looks great. Probably gonna go with that same trackbar on my JK
Thanks! I would highly recommend it.
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

While I've been at school I've been working on learning to tig weld. I've only had a few hours of practice, but I'm definitely improving. Hopefully I can be laying some nice beads by the end of the semester!
image-2911901784.jpg

Unread 03-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I may be acquiring a blown 5.3l out of a surburban for free. After a rebuild, do you guys think it would put me ahead in the long run for a swap? Or should I just scrap it. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet and see what the damage is, so I can only assume the worst.

Edit: Upon further inspection, it had a cracked block... so that's a no go on the 5.3
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Chopped the bumper, and took her for a spin today. For a 12 year old jeep, she still looks pretty good... From about 15 feet away
photo-3-.jpg

Unread 03-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been throwing around the idea of making my own font bumper for the last week or so. I drew up roughly what I want in Solidworks, a stubby front bumper with a grill hoop and winch guard.

Here it is with a winch mounted

I based it off of one of the bumpers I had seen in one of the Rokmen builds.
Unread 05-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #13
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered jks 1.25" body lift today and some Brown Dog 1" motor mounts
Unread 05-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #14
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Starting yesterday, I've been noticing a loud popping sound coming from the front suspension when I'm turning sharply or going over bumps. Any ideas? Right now I suspect the axle side upper control arm bushings may be to blame, being they are the factory ones with 125k on them.
Unread 05-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

This showed up today

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.