Mountain Unlimited - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Mountain Unlimited

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #46
Laredo-Alex
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Congrats, nice LJ!!

Unread 05-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #47
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Update proving I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I haven't done much recently to the Jeep, hopefully that will change this spring. This winter pretty much sucked and it has been snowy here from October until April. I don't have a garage at my house so wrenching was difficult. I did manage to get a few things below which I will highlight below.

Jeep this winter:

Rex in our snow cave:
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #48
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Winter time modifications:

Igee Seat Covers (they are worth the money):

Drake Off-road gas cap. My stock one kept loosing pressure. The drake one is billet, locks, and has very positive clicks when you tighten it.

Today I gave her a bath.

Unread 05-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #49
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Glad the snow stayed up on the hill with you ... The LJ looks good , what are the planned summer time mods ?
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #50
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

My most immediate mod will be a tummy tuck. I am planning a UCF aluminum skid with the LoPro transmission mount and the Novak cable shifter for the t-case. I have the funds set aside and I will probably make the purchases soon, but installation probably won't happen until June because may is looking pretty busy for me. Then after that I am probably start replacing control arms, I've been watching the review of the metal cloak bushings....
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #51
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAaron View Post
My most immediate mod will be a tummy tuck. I am planning a UCF aluminum skid with the LoPro transmission mount and the Novak cable shifter for the t-case. I have the funds set aside and I will probably make the purchases soon, but installation probably won't happen until June because may is looking pretty busy for me.
That is a nice parts combo . You will be surprised by how much smoother the Novak shifter is versus the factory linkage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAaron View Post
Then after that I am probably start replacing control arms, I've been watching the review of the metal cloak bushings....
Same here , I was pretty shocked when Imped of all people turned up with the cloaks . Currently I have JKS but I have had a few issues with them.I ended up ordering Savvy arms as the JJs have been around so much longer.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #52
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Finally got a chance to do some Jeep mods instead of just think about doing Jeep mods.

I settled on the nobody lift UCF skid plate. I was going to do the Lopro mount but my Jeep is 90% a road queen and I didn't want the increased idle vibrations. I also threw in the Novak cable shifter as I have already been having some 4WD issues.

My 4WD issues started last winter, it seems 4 Hi didn't want to stay in. 4 Lo was ok, just hard to shift some. My shifting got worse and 4 Hi kicking out got worse. When I installed the Novak I noticed my shifting problems were still there. I ended up following the suggestion of bending my 4WD lever and that aligned my 4WD better. My dash lights don't come on when engaged but it definitely feels in the right spots, my shifts are very positive. took me much longer than expected to get the Novak installed. Also the bracket which attaches to the floor is described as "obviously installs one way due to the bends" Well the bends didn't match up with the bottom of my tub very well and I had to drill out the body holes to align the bolts. Also the Novak is smooth, very smooth. Much better than stock. All in all, the install was harder than expected but the smooth shifting was worth it.

As for the UCF skid plate the install was a no brainer. It seems about half the weight of the stock skid. I gained about 1" of clearance, I'm at 13.75" under the t-case skid with a 2" spacer lift and 33" tires. Only problem now is my cat is shoved up into the heat shield and vibrates some. Time to visit my welding buddy to cut and re-weld the bracket so it drops down some. Also no driveline vibrations with my set up.

The bling:

The result:

Horrible picture of the cable shifter:

Unread 06-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #53
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Very nice ! I agree that it is impossible to get a decent picture of the Novak shifter , but mine fit like a glove ? Either way we both ended up with buttery smooth t case shifting and that is worth the time it takes to install .
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #54
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Yea it was as if the cable shifter was too long. I had to bend the shift lever so that it was angled more towards the back of the Jeep. This gave me more room for the shifter cable. It was still close, the t-case end of the cable was threaded all the way, I even removed that little nut for some extra thread.

Any ideas why the 4WD light doesn't come on, what turns that on, something in the T-case I assume?

What is a good paint to cover rust? The bottom of my body has some surface rust, I sanded it and covered it with under body coating, but the areas of worst rust have pushed through the under coating. Just sanding and rustoleum?
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #55
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I dont know the answer to the 4WD light , but I will say that Rust Oleum Hammered spray paint will cover the rust up and it wont come back . You dont have to go to crazy with prep work , just knock off the loose stuff .
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #56
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Come to thing of it, my 4wd light has not worked since I put the novak on my junk too. I wonder what gives. If I had to guess, I would think the electrical connection towards the rear of the case would be what sends the information to the light on the dash but I don't really know more than that guess.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #57
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Come to thing of it, my 4wd light has not worked since I put the novak on my junk too. I wonder what gives. If I had to guess, I would think the electrical connection towards the rear of the case would be what sends the information to the light on the dash but I don't really know more than that guess.
I guess as long as the t-case is in the correct position who cares. My light stopped working awhile back, when it started to kick out of 4WD. Maybe something in regards to that sensor broke.
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #58
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Got the jeep back from the exhaust shop after they bent some of the exhaust hangers to get the exhaust in a better spot.

Next on my list is a hardtop. With the winters here I really need one. At first I was looking for a black top to go with the silver jeep. I was at my local 4wd shop and they had a grey one. I found some pictures online and wanted to get some opinions.

Example of silver with grey top.

What do u guys think?
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #59
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You could always paint it black later if its a good deal . There was a black one on NC 4x4 for sale last week .
Unread 07-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #60
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

This grey one is actually more expensive than the NC4x4 top. I couldn't decide if I liked the grey or black better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.