Mountain Unlimited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Mountain Unlimited

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 03-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #16
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAaron View Post
I'm in western NC, mountains. I am going to post a update on my top as Rampage warrantied the top for me even though I wasn't the original owner. Stay tuned. I probably won't make it back this year, my wheeling buddy's wife is pregnant.

Now to take those POS body armor rock rails back to 4wheelparts in Charlotte.
Thats very cool that they warrantied the top for you . Noticed any leaks or other stitching issues ? WNC is nice , we wanted to live farther west but I needed to be closer to RDU for work .

Unread 03-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Well I plan on hitting Uwharrie a few times this year so maybe we will run into each other.

Rampage top: I am impressed with the customer service, jake was easy to deal with. I also like the overal design. I read the installation instructions for the bestop and it seems more difficult, although it is a sunrider. The top is super easy to put on. The middle section is as easy as putting on a safari bikini. The side windows also zip in easy. I was able to fold the center section back to easily access the zippers. On my old bestop I remember fighting the corners to get the zippers started on the side windows. The zippers on the back window could be better. I don't know what it is about them but they are hard to zip, even though the top isn't all that tight. Yesterday was the first time I did a complete top install since it is just now warm enough to take the top off. As far as leaks, I'm not sure. My carpet was wet when I put the top on from a freak storm, and it's been raining since so I haven't been able to dry it out and start over.

And today I took my body armor rockers back to 4wheelparts in Charlotte. What jerks! I drove two hours to make a return, got caught in traffic. I knew I was going to make it on time but close so I called ahead to let them know. Dude said that store hours were store hours. I pull in 2 min before closing and doors are already locked. Guy made a big deal about letting me in. And then apparently a buddy of his came by late to make a purchase and he let him in no problem. So my business will be going else where....

new rockers came in. I went with big daddy offroad because I ran those on my old tj for 10 years with no problems. I picked up the aluminum version to save weight. They came packaged well. The welds are a little messy for the end pieces but I will clean them up. They are 6061 t6 aluminum which from what I've read from Blaine's posts is the way to go, as opposed to the possibly weaker material teraflex uses on there rockers. But on a side note I've read a lot of the jk guys praise their Tera rockers so I almost bought those.

Unread 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Got Big Daddy rocker guards installed. Also had to recently replace my ODPA after reading about the 05-06 problems. My ODPA had a worn gear, and then it started making noise after I messed with it. I replaced it from Jeep for about $160 and seems to be working fine.

Unread 04-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #19
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The rockers look great installed . As to the OPDA , better sooner than later . I swapped mine out , but kept the old one to fogmod and put a new drive gear on at a later date .Did you have any issues swapping yours ?
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #20
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The rockers look great installed . As to the OPDA , better sooner than later . I swapped mine out , but kept the old one to fogmod and put a new drive gear on at a later date .Did you have any issues swapping yours ?
When i took mine out to examine it, I put it back to temporarily drive and I messed up the timing some. I did some Jeepforum research and learned about TDC etc etc. So when I put the new one in I had the holes lined up and it went smooth.
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Uwharrie 4-7-12

Went to Uwharrie today with a buddy. His TJ was on 31's and dual lockers. He has a nice point and shoot driving ability. It was crowded! I don't mind running into fellow Jeepers and other trucks, but I can't stand the ATV's. No trail etiquette. We ran Daniel to Rocky Mount. First obstacle on Daniel and I crunched my driver's side mirror on a tippy spot. Oh well. The Jeep performed well. It didn't flex as much as I would have liked, might have to check out my shocks. I love the ARB lockers, turning them off to turn is awesome. Also the aluminum rockers worked great, I tried them out on Daniel and Rocky Mount.

Onto the pics:

Unread 04-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I havent run Daniel in two years , it looks like it has gotten bad . And I hate to label any one group as all bad , but I havent had good luck with ATV folks at Uwharrie .
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #23
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice rig. Love those wheels.
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #24
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

I had been getting a vibration and wheel shimmy from 45+ miles per hour. I swapped tires with my parent's LJ and the vibration went away so I knew it was the tires. They were 285/75/16 mounted on AEV bridgers. I liked the bridgers, and everyone always says "love the wheels" but they no longer make them and my spare didn't match. I was looking at the probability of a bent wheel since I had balancing beads that on my old TJ worked wonderfully. I thought about getting new wheels and hoping for the best but I came across a good deal. Traded out the metric tires for 33x10.50R15 mounted on stock Ravine wheels. So I traded out the E rated metric tires for these better riding C rated tires. Vibrations are gone! I might paint these wheels an argent color at some point in time.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

And they were already mounted white letters out so don't judge me.

Snapped a picture of my parents LJ Rubicon on 2" RE and 32" BFG AT's while they were at the house today.

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #25
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So what did you do with the AEV's?
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
So what did you do with the AEV's?
Traded. High County 4x4 in NC has them. (the guys that make the Rubitrux)
www.go4x4it.net
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #27
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I hate that the wheels were the trouble , they were awesome looking on your jeep . But if it fixed the problem it was worth it .
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #28
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Not much has been going on with the Unlimited, too much work on the new house, but some new things are on the horizon. Birthday coming up and my parents bought me a JKS tie-rod, wife bought rokmen aluminum trail corners, and in laws got me a stand up craftsman tool box! Also took the Jeep on a family adventure to solidify why we bought the unlimited. Camping equipment and 85 lbs german shepherd fit in the back of the Jeep.

Camping Jeep

Corners:

Toolbox:
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #29
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Where did you end up camping ? And I am pretty sure those corners were supposed to ship to me ...
Unread 06-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #30
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Grayson Highlands VA, its only about an hour from me. Great place clean campground, good trails (near the AT) with an average of 1 mile in length, so you can get more than one in a day.

I almost tagged the driver's side rear corner on Daniel last time I was at Uwharrie so I'm pretty sure the corners were for me.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.