Mountain Unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Mountain Unlimited

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Mountain Unlimited

I traded my 1999 TJ SE that I have had since I was 16 on a 2005 Unlimited. It was a vast improvement, but I will miss the old TJ. I've got a lot of ideas from watching people's builds so I wanted to share my progress. I worked a deal with the TJ trade that I could keep most of the things I wanted. The only things that I didn't get to take off my TJ were the Savvy front bumper and Hella 1000's. The focus of the LJ is going to be daily driver and trail rig. I want to keep things looking as if they came from the factory.

2005 LJ Unlimited
58xxx miles
6 Speed
D30 Front / D44 Rear
2" RE Budget Boost with OME Nitrocharger Shocks
Xenon 4" Flat Fender Flares
AEV Bridger wheels (different spare)
285/75/16 BFG KM2's
ARB lockers front and rear
4.56 gears
GR8 Tops Swing away tire carrier
Currie Anti-Rok
Rampage frameless top
OR-Fab cage with frame tie in.

Stock:

How she sits now:

It came with a chrome grill overlay. You can see where it messed the paint up on the grill.

Two tone dash and two tone seats.

The old TJ:

Last edited by JeepinAaron; 03-21-2012 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: To add stock pictures
JeepinAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

My rampage top strap broke within a week of having the Jeep.

The actual strap broke, not the stitching to the top. Also the stitching along the rear window ripped. Rampage is working to fix the problem, I will have updates to follow.

I installed the GR8 tops tire carrier, I like it. The tire doesn't vibrate or rattle while driving. The tailgate doesn't drop when its open. It closes nice and solid.

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

The Jeep came with a chrome grill overlay. I thought it looked ok, a nice break between the silver and the black. But my long time Jeep friend came over and said "I don't think so" and before I knew it he had the chrome off.

The aftermath:

Painted the chrome and reinstalled:
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Fingers
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good so far!! I to have thought about getting rid of the tj for an lj
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You sir. Have fantastic taste
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Looks good so far!! I to have thought about getting rid of the tj for an lj
Do it, don't look back.
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

So I've had a wobble/vibration that first was mainly in my steering wheel. I noticed my tires were cupped a little. I rotated the two cupped tires to the back. My old Jeep probably had loose steering or bad alignment. When I moved the tires to the back is made whole Jeep wobble. I use dynabeads for balancing and thought adding some more would fix my wobble.

Dynabeads:

The beads helped. The vibration previously began at about 60 mph and now it starts at 70mph, which I don't run that fast much to begin with.

I also learned that my Jeep has disk rear brakes. I was stoked to see this, as I hate working on drums. Is this a D44 thing or unlimited?

Unread 03-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Some shots of my ARB stuff:

I have since added a quick release for airing up tires.

The compressor switch is on the left side on steering wheel and wired so the compressor has to be on for the lockers to be activated.

Antirock!
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

So I ordered rocker protection. I wanted frame mounted protection because I couldn't bring myself to drilling lots of holes in my shiny tub. Also I was thinking that at some point I may want to add AEV highline fenders and didn't want to make modifications to something. So, that said I bought Body Armor rock rails. I liked them in theory because they were bolt on and required no drilling to the frame. I thought they would be like Jeeperman rails and clamp onto the frame but I was wrong. They bolt to the body mounts.

Do I run a huge risk in ripping off the body mounts? I guess that only time will tell if that mounting location will be solid. Anyone running these?

Last edited by JeepinAaron; 03-16-2012 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

yes, you do run a very large risk. i would ditch them personally. body mounted is the best rout.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #11
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
yes, you do run a very large risk. i would ditch them personally. body mounted is the best rout.
Yea I am going to pack them up and send them back. The metal is very thin also. I am not going to be running the hammers or anything but I occasionally like to wheel my Jeep hard.
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I donno what your budget is, but look at Savvy Offroad's rockers. You literally cannot beat them

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I love how the framless tops look on the LJs and I want one bad too bad your having troubles . I have yet to see one in person , where are you in N.C.? When are you going back to run the Golden Spike ? Great trail and one of my favorites out there .
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
abandonedship
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent start. I currently have a TJ and wish I would have gone with a Rubicon LJ.

Those wheels look awesome. I'll keep an eye on this one.

looking for a complete SYE and driveshaft if the price is right.
abandonedship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I love how the framless tops look on the LJs and I want one bad too bad your having troubles . I have yet to see one in person , where are you in N.C.? When are you going back to run the Golden Spike ? Great trail and one of my favorites out there .
I'm in western NC, mountains. I am going to post a update on my top as Rampage warrantied the top for me even though I wasn't the original owner. Stay tuned. I probably won't make it back this year, my wheeling buddy's wife is pregnant.

Now to take those POS body armor rock rails back to 4wheelparts in Charlotte.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.