MosesYJ's 87 YJ Build: Project Locomotive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MosesYJ's 87 YJ Build: Project Locomotive

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wi

Unread 12-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
MosesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

MosesYJ's 87 YJ Build: Project Locomotive

Heres my build this is gonna be a long drawn out build because of lack of funds (college student) but this thing is my life and i love it
ok so here we go, When i was a little kid i used to go get tomatoes from a friend of the family's house, and every time I went over there the jeep was always under wraps and I had always eyed it up, so fast forward to high school and the family was gracious enough to give the Jeep to me as an early graduation/ project gift at the age of 15. Its a 1987 Jeep YJ 4.2, when I got it i was kinda rough, basically didn't run because of the Carter BBD,it had no doors,and the Peugeot whined like a stuck pig. But a free Jeep is a free Jeep and im not complaining i couldn't have asked for more.

heres how it looked when i got it stuck the first time now it burns when i pee

first thing i did was paint the wheels black and beat the tar out of it

i drove it around like that for a while until christmas came and i got a hi-lift jack and fabbed up some brackets for the hood

then i bedlined the interior with herculiner to keep rust away

and during the winter of 09 i got stuck and blew the BA10-5 out, scored a AX-15, np231J combo off cl, and swapped em out

MosesYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
MosesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

after driving the jeep like that i bought a 2" body lift and installed it in an afternoon, i dont really have any pics of that because a week later i scored some 33x12.5r15 Bfg AT's that were on a set of 15x10 ion alloy 171's, i crammed em under the body lift and luckily they fit and didnt rub, i guess the rims have some major backspacing.
heres a pic with the 33's on a 2" body lift

and i drove it like that until spring break of senior year i tore it apart and did a paint job, i chose rustoleum gloss royal blue because if i scratch it i can just scuff it up and cover it ,
heres some pre, during, and post paintjob pics
stripped

sanded

primed and sanded

first coat

dont have any pics from the second coat but here's the third and final coat

and all back together

the carter BBD was giving me major problems so i purchased a 38/38 from redline and i am loving it

after the paint job i was getting tired of having no articulation at all so i bought some 1 " shackels and put em on

now she had a little bit of travel so i was contempt with that and the search for a welder was on, and just last month sept. 2011 i scored a welder off of cl and got to work on the fab, the first thing i made was some homebrew quick discos

Unread 12-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
MosesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

got some poser shots with em disco'd

then the stinger fab started, i got the tube from a local machine shop

took off and prepared my bumper

cut tube to 50 degrees

and welded it on

then sanded, primed, and painted the whole setup flat black to match my bezels

all installed

after the stinger fab, my lights in my tail lights started going so i ditched em, i like the look of the 4" round led lights so thats what i did,

i really like the idea of an lcg build so hopefully when i start making more money im gonna swap in an 8.8,regear 4.10 or 4.56?, sye,tummy tuck, cut my body lift in half, trim the rear, tube the front, build the d30 up some, some rocker guards, basically whatever i can fab, i hope santa brings me the blue torch fab tubes for me to weld on some tubes up front.
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
MosesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

next thing i got was some cavalier seats from the junkyard and threw em onto the stock sliders there soo much more kind on the a** than the stock ones, i would suggest it to anybody and everybody, its cheap 35 a piece and they bolt to your stock sliders
one of my friends from my jeep club gave me a snorkel to fab a bracket for the carb and that was my next project

homebrew braket

all installed

the basics on the intake is that its a 98 crown vic air intake box connected to some intake hose from advance auto from there its mated to a modified 6" pipe cap
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
MosesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my plastic valve cover cracked so i updated and bought an aluminum one and intalled it, had to tap the holes where it would usually have placement nug on the plastic one

so the typical fix one part and another one brakes happened, after finally getting to drive around without having to call the epa for an oil spill, the frickin radiator blew a core and spewed all my anitfreeze out about a mile from home so i took it slow and got home and one of my friends who is doing a frame off sold me his used radiator that is in very good condition on the cheap

heres a pic of the old ratty leaky one that came out

and the inside of it

picked up a used one from a friend and dropped it in

also tackled some rust today i hit everything with the slag hammer and then went over with a wire wheel
before

after some major grinding and undercoating

after several months of messing with the engine and most of the other components on the engine i have been noticing an excessive amount of blow by coming from the valve cover breather, last winter i did a seafoam and it seemed to help the smoke a little but recently it has come back with a vengeance, today was REALLY BAD!!.
After reading about what causes this online and doing every other fix it could be i have come to the conclusion that its either my piston rings or a need a valve job she is blowing by real bad towards third gear i had a guy roll the window down and tell me how bad it was today,ive checked and replaced my pcv, ive done several oil changes including one today im pretty sure this is what it is and thats NO FUN!!!
i have been noticing the smoke gradually getting worse and ive noticed my oil pressure running super high lately like 70-75 psi range
tomorrow im gonna do a compression check on each cylinder and then drop a teaspoon of oil in each and do it again to see if it is indeed the rings, i hope its only the valves really dont want to have to fully replace the engine after all the time and money ive put in it,i know i can have it bored but that about as expensive as a whole nother 4.2 so ill see whats what tomorrow and hopefully not find too much more bad news

ok ran the compression check and it confirmed my thinking of bad valves so im gonna start my tear down now and catch it early before i need to rebuild the whole motor, heres the readings
1 2 3 4 5 6
D 175 65 145 105 165 175
W 180 65 155 115 175 175

demolition is going along smoothly should have it ready to yank the head tonight really sucks having to take the valve cover and gasket off AGAIN this will be the 4th time so ive got it down like a pit crew, next will be loosen rocker arms and pull out the push rods then hopefully ill be able to pull everything and get to the machine shop for rebuilding... i guess the positive is i will have a new top end when completed... gotta think positive

ok got the motor ready for head removal tomorrow, here is what ive stripped

intake
intake manifold
exhaust manifold
exhaust
antifreeze drained
valve cover
all hoses marked and removed
all wires detached and named
not bad for one afternoon if ya ask me, tomorrow im gonna loosen the rocker arms and pull the push rods and hopefully pull the head and get it ready to go to the machine shop for rebuilding, while im at it im gonna check my bottom end and make sure the cylinder walls aren't scored or anything else scary, wish me luck
here are some pics of the demolition, here is where i started
heres where i started

empty engine bay

cylinder wall looked great didnt feel any scoring so im taking the head to the machine shop for a head job

the parts table is growing

so ive talked it over with my dad deciding on a game plan for the motor. weve established that it is going to cost about 200 or so to have the head redone, i was considering pulling everything and doing a complete rebuild while im in here, but i dont have the time or the funds right now, cylinder 2 scares me a little there is an extremely marginal score and when i say extremely marginal i mean we over looked it several times so my game plan is that im going go get the head redone and reassemble everything and see how it runs, if it runs great then good for me, and if it still has blow by then i still have a redone head and im only out like 30 for gaskets, if it does turn out to be rings im gonna drive the freight train till summer when i can get money together to do a complete rebuild, cuz when i rebuild im gonna do it right bored 30 or 60 over, new balanced crank, mild cam and that takes a lot of money
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
MosesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

while im waiting for the machine shop i figure ill do some repairs on any and all rust on the heep

first bothersome rust was in the pocket between the tc skid an the frame so i dropped the skid and fixed both sides with a new wire tool i found at lowes and then went over with undercoating, this attachment is a beast and i recommend it to everyone

heres the part under the skid before

and after wire wheeling and undercoating

and when i took my battery out i found some rust under there too so i hit it with the wire thingy and undercoated that too
before

ok i got the head back yesterday around 4 pm and i worked in the garage until 2 am today lol, i managed to completely reassemble it and fired it up with open headers , bad news is i still have a little bit of blowby so the head job didnt fix as much as i wanted it to fix but im not smoking like a freight train anymore either. so im gonna drive it like this till i can do a whole rebuild cuz when i do im going deep, .60over, mild cam, headers, roller rockers the whole shabang

prepped block

head sat in place

valves and rocker arms installed

still got some major blowby so it confirmed my suspicion of bad rings, so im gonnna drive it like a smokin locomotive till i can get the funds together for a full rebuild and a little hi-performance work
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
cwsluggers1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with the rebuild!! How has the paint held up?
cwsluggers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
MosesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsluggers1 View Post
Good luck with the rebuild!! How has the paint held up?
aside from me scrubbing it on trees its held up great plus its easy and cheap to do touch up cuz its just rustoleum
Unread 12-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
cwsluggers1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesYJ

aside from me scrubbing it on trees its held up great plus its easy and cheap to do touch up cuz its just rustoleum
Yeah I've been wanting to re-paint my 89 but I'm afraid that it won't hold up to the weather
Unread 12-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
MosesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Go for it man just remember 10 mins of prep can save hours of paint time, check out my rustoleum paintjob thread it spells out everything i did
Unread 12-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
cwsluggers1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesYJ
Go for it man just remember 10 mins of prep can save hours of paint time, check out my rustoleum paintjob thread it spells out everything i did
Yeah it's all in the prep now I just gotta convince my dad that it's okay
Unread 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

cool build bro. sucks about the motor but it gets newer on part at a time..
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
WesTexToolman
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin good, nice build, that's kinda how I've built my YJ up as well. I'm thinking about doing RustOleum Gloss Black on mine for the same reason, easy to fix scratches.
WesTexToolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
MosesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTexToolman View Post
Lookin good, nice build, that's kinda how I've built my YJ up as well. I'm thinking about doing RustOleum Gloss Black on mine for the same reason, easy to fix scratches.
thanks alot, i actually painted doors gloss black rustoleum for a friend and they have held up really well and like u said very easy to fix, good luck
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
WesTexToolman
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesYJ View Post
thanks alot, i actually painted doors gloss black rustoleum for a friend and they have held up really well and like u said very easy to fix, good luck
Thanks, I appreciate the info on the Black Rustoleum. Good luck on the rest of your build
94 Jeep YJ Wrangler Sport / 4.0L I-6 Engine with AX-15 5 speed Manual Transmission --- D30 Front / D35 Rear with 4.10 Gears & Limited Slip Differential --- 4" Suspension Lift Kit with 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/albatross-story-my-jeep-1311987/"]My Jeep's Story[/URL]
WesTexToolman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.