Morg's LJ build PROJECT:Kemosabe **Made in USA** - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-20-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
D-Morg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Morg's LJ build PROJECT:Kemosabe

I think I’m going to call this build “Project: Kemosabe.” Kemosabe was what The Lone Ranger called his sidekick Tonto. New LJ = Tonto

After I got out of school I decided I definitely needed a decent rig to tinker with and hopefully take me to new and adventurous locations. With a little luck I won’t finish the build only to turn around and sell it on a whim. I was thinking about getting another JK to start with. I knew I didn’t want a 4 door so I checked out a few 2 doors. The JKs don’t feel right to me. While they may be arguably better built and more capable out of the box, they are too cushy and refined for me…. maybe I just have a soft spot for CJs and TJs? Anyways, I decided I wanted a LJ the same color as my TJ (below)….. and I wanted a low mileage, rust free, and unmodified one also. After about 3 or 4 months I found one that had been slightly modified, but was 100% rust fee and stupid clean. It came from Arizona and I’m thinking a retired guy just tooled around in it, because there are no signs what so ever of off road use.

The old…..

The new….
It came with 33s and a Teraflex lift. The lift looks to be 4” with a 1” body lift. It also came with a hi-lift and a CB radio.

I’m not 100% sure where this build will go, but my main emphasis is just to use the friggin thing. I know I want more power. A lot more. I would like a suspension/drivetrain that works well on the road, on the trail, and can take high speed punishment. I plan on building as much as I can myself….. hopefully more efficiently than before. This time I’ve got some fun machines at my disposal!!

I think this time I’m going to try and keep everything store bought made in the USA (Australia too). This may be a little bit of a chore and I’m sure will cost a bit more, but not using China, Korea, etc made stuff is worth it.

My initial winter/spring list…..
New windshield (just busted it)
New soft top
Half doors/windows
Cut front bumper
Correct body lift
Stereo/Navigation
Build cage and spare mount
Water and fuel storage
Bedline inside
Aux Lights
Rock sliders
Front lunchbox locker
CJ tailgate
On board air

The first thing is was planning on crossing off the list was the trimmed bumper… which I got done, but I decided while I had the sawzall out I may as well trim my fender flares a bit. Two hours later I decided to highline the front. This was not on the list…. And so it starts

I wasn’t happy with my initial measurements. This is the first time I’ve done bodywork with a laser level!

Brainstorming…

I saw that someone had removed the front diff cover. With how well this thing wheeled the few times I’ve been out I wondered if it may have a lunchbox locker. I didn’t find a locker but I did spy about a half a tube of silicone.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-20-2015, 10:05 PM
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Does that have a 30/35?
post #3 of 12 Old 12-20-2015, 11:26 PM
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbond4 View Post
Does that have a 30/35?
Dood,it's an LJ.

You will be hard pressed finding a Khaki color soft top,they quit making them a couple years back.
There is a guy in here that make soft tops for us,I'll try to find his thread.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #4 of 12 Old 12-21-2015, 12:18 AM
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Dood,it's an LJ.

You will be hard pressed finding a Khaki color soft top,they quit making them a couple years back.
Well seeing as how I don't have an lj or know much about them, that would be why I asked. A simple answer would be more helpful than your condescending remark.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-21-2015, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
D-Morg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

LJs have a 30 front and 44 rear. I'm going to run them for a while then hopefully swap them out.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic."
post #6 of 12 Old 12-21-2015, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
D-Morg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Dood,it's an LJ.

Thanks. I'm actually fond of black soft tops on that color.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
D-Morg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

January 2016 Update….
A couple family health issues + the winter holidays = no progress to date. I did, however, get my bender back from a friend. She needed some TLC, so I did some polishing, fixed the cylinder, added some casters and the nastiest paint I could find. Put a steel order in today also. I better get going!!

Damn right. Pittsburg steel.

post #8 of 12 Old 02-07-2016, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
D-Morg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A few miscellaneous parts started streaming in this week.

Hood pin kit

Corner marker lights

CJ-3B turn signals. Some clear lenses should show up for these sometime soon.

I’m going to swap out the halogen bulbs for these amber LED ones.

The previous owner never corrected the speedometer, so I grabbed a 31 tooth speedo gear.

I also lowered the fan shroud by an inch to compensate for the body lift. I’m not a big fan of the quality of the body lift that’s installed, so I have a new Daystar kit on the way. Note the missing body snubbers on the grill. It was just a matter of time before my fan gobbled up some ABS plastic.

I saw this car on the square the other day. Maybe he would sell me the axles from under that?! Haha.

post #9 of 12 Old 02-13-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
D-Morg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I started on the hood pins the other day. First I made these little deals to use as a center punch to transfer the location.

Next I welded these little pads to the bottom of the grill support rods just like the last time. I figured it gave the pins a little more meat to bolt to.

I added these little cables to the lynch pins so I don’t lose one on the trail. I’m not sure if they will stay or not. I don’t want a tree branch catching on the cable and pulling the pin out.

Hood pins and CJ-3B turn signals in but not wired yet….

post #10 of 12 Old 09-05-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
D-Morg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I should update this thing. A few months ago I dumped my kayak on Lake Red Rock and unfortunately was dumb enough to still have my cell phone on me. It died, and so did most of my build pictures.

Getting bent.

I need a plasma cutter!

Sexy template.

I decided to TIG weld the fenders so all of my joints had to be perfect. I don’t think I would do that again. It took forever!

post #11 of 12 Old 09-05-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
D-Morg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not much tire coverage!

This is the point where I lost all of my photos. I ended up scoring a set Walker Evans Racing beadlocks and 37 inch Nittos. They were fairly gross looking, so I decided to rub on them a bit.

I just poof-canned the fenders for now. This winter I’m going to do the bodywork so I can just paint the rest of my armor at the same time.

I relocated my battery using a mount from Artec. I also ended up having to relocate the computer so I could squeeze my battery in as tight as possible. I ordered a K&N air filter element and pre-filter from Summit Racing and just hacked the end off my stock air tube. This will just be temporary until I can get my inner fenders built.

Got the old plates back on!

post #12 of 12 Old 09-07-2016, 10:47 AM
jeepster1407
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome build so far! Great work on the fenders. Also the Walker Evans wheels look great after a little bit of elbow grease...

_________
My Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.