More than a CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > More than a CJ

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Smoked Style Hood Air DeflectorIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
WarDamnCJ
1982 CJ5 

More than a CJ

I recently lost my uncle. I don't want to get into the logistics, but it was hard on the whole family and an emptiness was left. One of my earliest memories is riding around in his CJ-5. When I was 15, he taught me how to drive a stick in the CJ. Some of my favorite memories with my uncle was in this Jeep, and he left it to me. It has been sitting for a few years now, much due to the fact he was unable to drive it and work on it. Now, I get the chance to rebuild, and keep those memories alive.

I am in no way, any sort of a gear head. I know how to open up a Chilton manual and get frustrated, but I am going to get this thing running. I almost feel like he left it to me because he knew I wouldn't let it sit, and in the long run, will learn something that he never got the chance to teach me by breaking this CJ apart. I am away from home at college, so what I can do is very limited. From what I've seen on this website, this is a great community of support, knowledge, and motivation.

So I come here to ask y'all this. Where do I begin? I plan on flushing out the radiator to see if it's rusted and replacing it if it is. New hoses, because I'm certain they're all dry-rotted. New oil and filter in the engine. New oil in the trannie. Make sure the fuel tank is in usable condition. New tires.

What initial steps should I take to get this thing in working order? What are some good resources to go to and websites/stores I can get parts through? What are some issues I'm more than likely going to run into? Really, anything anyone has to offer is extremely helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story guys, and wish me luck!

Last edited by WarDamnCJ; 03-20-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: image link missing
WarDamnCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.