Money Pit...AKA - Black Jack (XJ Build) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Money Pit...AKA - Black Jack (XJ Build)

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #61
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing on the build side...just some fun in the snow!

Rabbit Valley, couple miles from the Utah border. Fun trail to run with the family, nothing really difficult but the snow adds a fun element. This is definitely a "stay the trail" area, notice the fence posts in pic 2.

Colorado Jeep Trails
Eggdashure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #62
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

INJECTOR UPGRADE TIME!!!

I bought a nice, really clean set of 784 injectors off Programbo (thanks btw!) for $60 shipped. So far, best money I've spent on my Heep.

Here's some pics:

*Note: The orange and blue wires connected to the injectors are from my E85 conversion kit.

^ Everything pulled off before the fuel rail. Air Box and tubes. Throttle body and connectors.

^ Cleaned up this bad boy since I had it off, IAC motor was quite dirty.

^Yanked the rail off (scariest part, but with some gentle pry bar action...everything came off easy). Cleaned out the holes to be sure no junk fell in.

^ First new one in place...very little gas spilled out, but I was ready for it.

^New (in rail) vs. Old, new have 4 holes for better atomization...or so I'm told.

^ Sexy!!

So after all 6 were in place, I buttoned everything up, started her up (BIG sigh of relief) and checked for any leaks. None that I could see.

Then I reset the ECM and it was off for an eagerly anticipated test drive.

Everyone says throttle response is better and they get better MPG. Ok, I'm hoping and praying on the MPG. But I was blown away at how much more pep I had when I stepped on the gas. The idle was very jumpy before. I could be sitting at a stop light and the tach would bounce 200 to 300 RPMS with no forward movement. The idle now has dropped quite a bit and does not jump around like before. Could be just clean injectors though!

Anyways, I will report back with MPG gains after a tank. Usually takes a month to run through a tank for me. Only 4 miles each way to work each day!

Colorado Jeep Trails
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #63
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Haven't posted here in a while and it's time to post up some pics and a couple vids of my first Moab experience.

I still can't believe I'm only an hour and a half from Moab and I have only wheeled there this one time. For sure will be going back...just not during June!!! Temps were very near 100 degrees...poor Heep was running warm most of the trip. Slow speeds and a Black Jeep with AC full bore really took it's toll.

Anyways, on to the good stuff!

The pics below were taken from inside Arches NP on the "Tower Arch" trail. It took almost the full day to make this trek, it starts just after Sand Dunes Arch and follows a washboard laden road out into the desert about 7 miles before the fun begins.

The trail down to Tower Arch was precarious, there were a lot of off camber areas that me a little nervous since we were going it alone. We made it Tower Arch...but it was easily 100 degrees outside and buggy. So I snapped some quick pics and we were on our way.

The trail back to Balanced Rock was fun...but very long...over 9 miles of slow going twist, turns, sand dunes and rock. This trail was fun to do once, but I doubt I would run it again.

On the build side, I've mainly just been picking up the pieces of past projects. I finally finished the E-brake setup...I just cut some spring off of the cable and wrapped around the disc pull lever, then secured it with a mini u-bolt.

I managed to score a ZJ Proportioning valve finally! It doesn't make much difference around town with normal braking, but I really noticed it on Fins n' Things when I needed to hold the vehicle on a steep incline.

In the mail is a set of HD Engineering Shackle Relocation Brackets for the leaf springs. Hopefully this will complete my suspension build for a while. I still need an adjustable track bar, but I figure I'll wear out the stock one first.

And a couple POV videos on Fins.

Colorado Jeep Trails
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #64
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Shackle Relocation Brackets are on...verdict is in...
Ride quality improved just slightly, this is most likely due to the fact that I'm running thick bastard packs that are pretty much flat. They do not extend when compressed so these brackets make only a marginal difference in ride quality. If / when I move to a better leaf spring pack I may notice it there.

They do however offer a lot more droop! I haven't been on a ramp or anything, but the quick trip I took to the dunes showed a lot of promise.

Some pics of the install:

They do drop the shackles down a bit which makes them more prone to rock attacks. But my hitch will hit before the shackles...ask me how I know!

Shackle ended up at a 48 degree angle and ended up with a half inch more lift. Works for me!

Colorado Jeep Trails
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #65
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Scored a good deal on eBay! Rough Country Adjustable Track Bar for $51.46 with free shipping no less!

Sure it's a TRE "end", but I can always toss on a Heim for a double shear setup when I'm ready. For $50 brand new, can't complain...feels pretty stout too! It will hopefully make it on tonight or sometime this weekend. I have to drill out the lower end to accompany the 7/16ths bolt I'm running axle end...that's always an adventure!

Colorado Jeep Trails
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #66
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Croikee, I'm sore! That was not supposed to be that difficult!
All I needed to do was drop the old bar, drill out the new Track Bar's bottom hole and install...sounds simple enough, right?!

I have even had the old bar out before, so I wasn't expecting such a battle. A word to the wise, pull off the drivers front tire and pound on it from that side. Eventually fell off from this angle...from the front of the Jeep I think there was enough leverage on one side of the TRE end to keep it from letting go.

Then came time to drill out the lower hole...the drill locked in the hole and swung the bar out from under my foot and around to my other shin. Eventually finished that up...but with a healthy bruise. (Can't make this stuff up!!)

Then the last part...adjusting the bar. Apparently the threads didn't go far enough down or had some metal chunks left over inside, because getting the end to move in past a certain point was nearly impossible! I had to attach the track bar to my hitch and get a pry bar and large wrench to eventually turn it to the correct position.

Anyways...here it is installed:

A lot less slop in the front end and way more clearance on the axle side. For a lot of hassle and $50 I'm happy.

Colorado Jeep Trails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.