Money Pit...AKA - Black Jack (XJ Build) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Money Pit...AKA - Black Jack (XJ Build)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 06-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #16
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggdashure View Post
Thanks. What made it really bad was the fact, that, in my mind...I had "saved" our house, only to see it gutted the next morning. But, our house is updated now and I had some cash left over to do all these mods. So happy ending...kinda.
That's good to hear, happy endings are getting rare. Crawled.

kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
madflyer72
2000 TJ Wrangler 

nice build so far man
madflyer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's good to hear, happy endings are getting rare.
Yea cash for mods is a happy ending and it is rare!

Although my cash is pretty much gone now.

Quote:
nice build so far man
Thanks! Appreciate the kudos!

Colorado Jeep Trails
Eggdashure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thought I would post up some pics of a Jeep excursion!

It's hard to tell from this pic, but I had to jump back into the drivers seat. Pretty steep angle.

Flexy flexin'!

Another flex angle. Surprisingly no rubbing!

I thought this shadow of the Jeep was cool.

Colorado Jeep Trails
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #20
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oh the places a Jeep can take you!
06-26-2010 We took the Jeep over Corkscrew Gulch, California Gulch, down through Animas Forks and out to Silverton. Awesome day trip! Weather was a little iffy, but snow in June...who would'a thunk it!
Keep in mind it was just pellet snow at the very top of California Pass...but still!

Jeep did great, I was really happy with how well everything performed. Rear discs were easily able to hold the Jeep down the steep incline (mind you I was in 4-Lo). Speaking of which, a guy between two of the passes had his brakes go out on him. He noticed before anything got harry, but he had to wait while someone went back to Ouray for some brake fluid and parts. Not my idea of fun! I was also glad to have the extra turning radius from the WJ Control Arms. The switchbacks were easy in one turn, whereas I know I would have had to adjust with the stocker arms. Next mod is going to have to be some hood vents. Jeep ran kinda hot during the hefty climbs.

Colorado Jeep Trails

Last edited by Eggdashure; 06-29-2010 at 01:15 AM..
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:13 AM   #21
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i'm so jealous of you colorado guys

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #22
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

awesome XJ man! I hope i can get my new one soon!

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #23
bluedragon436
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
I fully agree with this guy... We have nothing like that to wheel at, no where to wheel that is near as nice landscape... and not to mention as abundantly available... But either way that is a very nice rig you have there... I can't wait until mine pics up its altitude...
bluedragon436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #24
getgnar
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I am too jealous of those Colorado mountains. Xj looks great.
getgnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #25
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

nice XJ. how did you find KM1's i wanted them so badly
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #26
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's why we live here! Thankfully the Jeep community in CO keeps tabs on each other and enforces Tread Lightly. Keeps a lot more trails open than normal.

Thanks for all the kudos on the Heep! As with any Jeep, work in progress!

I found the BFG's used on Craigslist. 40% tread left, $100.

Colorado Jeep Trails

Last edited by Eggdashure; 07-03-2010 at 11:40 AM..
Unread 07-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #27
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As I previously posted, my Heep was running quite warm up the hills in Ouray. So, to combat this, I cut my own hood vents.

Idea came from here: Hood Vent - Jeep Cherokee Forum

I pulled the hood off my Jeep, seemed easier considering my Jeep is lifted...and I am not!

Then I taped everything up and made my marks. I went smaller than the original creator. I thought that the winter snow may push out the vents, so I figured a slightly smaller opening might hold up better. 7" bottom, 9" center side.

Then I carefully cut the openings using my angle grinder with a cutting wheel. I had to finish the edges with a small metal saw.

Here it is cut out.

Above you can see what I used to make the actual vents. Grillosheets from Lowe's, High Temp RTV Gasket maker, and door edging from AutoZone. All in all it was like $20.

And there you have it, homemade hood vents! I decided against painting the Grillosheets, I thought they looked good as is. I may change my mind later, who knows. Those are cardboard boxes underneath to hold the Grillosheets in place while the RTV dried. I also plan on getting some Dialectic Grease and smudging it all over any electrical connections that prove worry-some.

Note: These vents work great. If my little propane grill ever stops working I can just throw a couple hot dogs on the vents!

Colorado Jeep Trails

Last edited by Eggdashure; 07-11-2010 at 01:36 AM..
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #28
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Some fun coming soon!
Old Man Emu Front 2" Lift Springs. We'll see what happens, these are from a Wrangler so I'm not sure exactly what I will end up with lift wise. Scored these, some shocks (see below) and other parts for $75.

Scored this roof rack at Sam's Club of all places for $97! Woo hoo.

Set of Bilsteins from a Wrangler. Should be just the right length.

Everything will hopefully be installed tomorrow.

Colorado Jeep Trails
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #29
thatcarguy09
1998 XJ Cherokee 

jeep looks awsome man! im about to lift my xj 3 inches! btw the 1st pic of your jeep at the california gulch is now my background on my pc!
thatcarguy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #30
Eggdashure
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
btw the 1st pic of your jeep at the california gulch is now my background on my pc!
Thanks man! Always good to have fans! Keeps the dream alive.

Ok, so I managed to tear out one of my upper shock mounts. I was so tired of dealing with them! First time the bolts broke off, so I drilled and tapped them. This time, the threads pulled right out. Enough was enough! I pulled up the rear cargo area carpet up and drilled through from underneath so I knew where to cut the floor. Then I went about cutting a small rectangle to give access to the welded nuts. I dropped a couple grade 8 bolts down. On the other side, I setup a BPE using an old rear sway bars U-Bolt connection. So I connected it to my "new to me" Bilstein 5100's and attached it to the bolts I ran from above. This is a REALLY solid setup and I can just disconnect the BPE bolt if I need to mess with my shocks again.

After buttoning up the carpet and rear shocks, I moved to the front. Up here I installed the OME 2" Medium weight Wrangler front coils. Gawd, this is ALWAYS a project. My WJ Control Arms were blocking some of my droop and this made fighting the coils that much harder until I figured out the issue. After that everything went smoothly! Sorry for the dark pic, didn't realize how backlight it was.

Then some poser shots with the rack. I need to move it back, but you get the idea.

The results of the TJ OME 2" Coils lent 1.5 inches of lift on my Cherokee. Keep in mind I'm running stock bumpers and stock engine. Might be less depending on weight. But, I was sitting at 21" hub to fender with ZJ V8 Coils and a 2 inch spacer. With the TJ OME 2" Coils I am sitting at 21.5", level with the rear.

Colorado Jeep Trails

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.