modernise an 80 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > modernise an 80 CJ7

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
thatguy310
1990 YJ Wrangler 

modernise an 80 CJ7

I am in the process of building a jeep from ground up. We are basing off an 80 CJ7 golden eagle and the frame and body are going to be pulled from a 97 Jeep TJ. the drive line was pulled from an 80 AMC Eagle all wheel drive Pacer. I know that I am going to have to modify the drive shaft, and in order to use the ac and still have a CJ7 dashboard, I will defiantly have to create entirely new wiring harnesses. The question I have is; am I required to use the title for the 97 since I used that frame, or can I use the original CJ7 title that we already have?

thatguy310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Where I am from whatever the vin is on the tub is the vin that is on the title.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
thatguy310
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The Frame is what is normally titled; although, the title to the 97 is totaled. The frame was rusted to the point where it was about to come apart; however, the frame is being repaired and straightened. Is there any way that I can bring a title back from being totaled? What am I required to do as far as getting it re titled? The Jeep is going to be called "The Mutt" when were done with it, it will have parts from a number of different years and models, we are using parts from a 97 TJ, an 80 CJ7, 90 YJ, 80 AMC Eagle, and others. We were planning on putting the automatic transmission and the all time all wheel drive transfer case from the AMC Eagle; however, we are missing the rear axle and would go through more problems than were looking forward to. I think we would be better off locating a TF999 automatic transmission with the Dana 300 transfer case on the back of that. We are using the 4.2L from the AMC Eagle, it has already been mounted to a Jeep T177 manual transmission with the Dana 300 transfer case. It ran quiet well like that; although, the owner (my father-n-law) is disabled and has a problem using the clutch and his wife (mother-n-law) cannot drive a stick in town, so were going with an automatic.
Unread 06-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy310 View Post
The Frame is what is normally titled; although, the title to the 97 is totaled. The frame was rusted to the point where it was about to come apart; however, the frame is being repaired and straightened. Is there any way that I can bring a title back from being totaled? What am I required to do as far as getting it re titled? The Jeep is going to be called "The Mutt" when were done with it, it will have parts from a number of different years and models, we are using parts from a 97 TJ, an 80 CJ7, 90 YJ, 80 AMC Eagle, and others. We were planning on putting the automatic transmission and the all time all wheel drive transfer case from the AMC Eagle; however, we are missing the rear axle and would go through more problems than were looking forward to. I think we would be better off locating a TF999 automatic transmission with the Dana 300 transfer case on the back of that. We are using the 4.2L from the AMC Eagle, it has already been mounted to a Jeep T177 manual transmission with the Dana 300 transfer case. It ran quiet well like that; although, the owner (my father-n-law) is disabled and has a problem using the clutch and his wife (mother-n-law) cannot drive a stick in town, so were going with an automatic.
Odd. Never heard of the frame but nonetheless to answer your other questions there is no way to bring back a "salvage" or "totaled" title in most states. Some allow you to have a "rebuilt" title and then transfer that title to another state which then becomes normal but that's the only process I've heard of.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler
Odd. Never heard of the frame but nonetheless to answer your other questions there is no way to bring back a "salvage" or "totaled" title in most states. Some allow you to have a "rebuilt" title and then transfer that title to another state which then becomes normal but that's the only process I've heard of.
In SC, you can repair a salvage vehicle, and have it inspected by the DMV which will issue a new title.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
thatguy310
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I know you can in south Carolina, I grew up there. I'm in Florida now and I cannot find any information. I don't quiet have the tittle figured out yet; however, I have decided if I absolutely have to I will take it home to South Carolina or use the 80 CJ7 title.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.