Moabrubi's Rubicon - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Moabrubi's Rubicon

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and50" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 04-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #121
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got the winch in place ready to bolt in, I just need to buy some longer bolts. All I have to say about this project is what a PITA! If you are considering doing this I suggest you get the smallest winch body you can find and have at least a 1.25" body lift.

I have no idea how Stu's winch fit with only minor clearancing. I have the same model winch he used and mine hit all along the inner fender. I sunk the plate down as low as I could with countersunk bolts and all. After an hour or two of whacking and grinding I was able to slide the plate and winch in.

Here's the inner fender. There used to be a ridge there but it's pretty flat now. The black line is from where I had considered just cutting it, but just decided to grab a bigger hammer instead.

The winch in place. You can see the bungs there in the corner. I meant to take more pictures and do a write up, but oh well.

So I just need to bolt it all in, wire it all up, and drill some new holes so I can actually put my airbox back on. Hopefully this was the hard part . I don't expect the pulley and frameside attachment to give me too much grief.

Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #122
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Got the winch in place ready to bolt in, I just need to buy some longer bolts. All I have to say about this project is what a PITA! If you are considering doing this I suggest you get the smallest winch body you can find and have at least a 1.25" body lift.

I have no idea how Stu's winch fit with only minor clearancing. I have the same model winch he used and mine hit all along the inner fender. I sunk the plate down as low as I could with countersunk bolts and all. After an hour or two of whacking and grinding I was able to slide the plate and winch in.

Here's the inner fender. There used to be a ridge there but it's pretty flat now. The black line is from where I had considered just cutting it, but just decided to grab a bigger hammer instead.

The winch in place. You can see the bungs there in the corner. I meant to take more pictures and do a write up, but oh well.

So I just need to bolt it all in, wire it all up, and drill some new holes so I can actually put my airbox back on. Hopefully this was the hard part . I don't expect the pulley and frameside attachment to give me too much grief.
Harbor freight atv winch is smaller, but slow as sin.
Instead of building a bolt in plate I just welded a plate to the side of the upper spring mount, gave me a bit more room.
In the end it's worth it though

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #123
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good job man. Yeah the hard part is over. The pulley and driver side was simple. I finished the engine bay wiring and put the rest of the Jeep back together tonight. All I got left is interior wiring.... yippee. It'll all be worth it when you hit that button, trust me.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #124
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Harbor freight atv winch is smaller, but slow as sin.
Instead of building a bolt in plate I just welded a plate to the side of the upper spring mount, gave me a bit more room.
In the end it's worth it though
If I hadn't found this Warn so cheap I would have gone with the HF winch. But considering I've always had good luck with Warn winches, I know I will never need to worry about it.

Hindsight welding the plate like you say would have been easier. Pounding out the fender wasn't too terrible though. I can't wait to climb the steep hill at the Cleghorn powerline and crawl up the ledge at Bullfrog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Good job man. Yeah the hard part is over. The pulley and driver side was simple. I finished the engine bay wiring and put the rest of the Jeep back together tonight. All I got left is interior wiring.... yippee. It'll all be worth it when you hit that button, trust me.
I'm just wondering if I should wait till I have my pinion set where I want it before I install the pulley so I have a straight shot. I know I'm going to need to rotate my axle a bit after the under armor install.

Man your almost done! Wiring is probably the easiest part, I want to make a really nice panel for mine though.
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #125
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You don't really want more than a few degrees of pinion angle in the front man..... You shouldn't have to adjust it for the under armor. It's WAY less sensitive than the rear to you lifting up the T-case. If you get it too high your caster will be off.
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #126
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Caster over rules your pinion angle, not enough caster it will wander all over the place, to much and you will get a bad case of the death wobblies

Unread 04-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #127
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK... Blaine told me the opposite. He said just point the pinion just under the output for the T-case. Caster is what it is. I do believe you guys though, how the heck do I measure for caster? I've read all kinds of different theories. What should my caster angle be?
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #128
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Take a angle meter/ angle finder, you can get those from home depot, set it on top of the upper balljoint and read, do this on a level floor.
Most likely when the pinion points where it needs to be your caster is close to where it needs to be. Shoot for around 3-4 degrees

Unread 04-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #129
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Take a angle meter/ angle finder, you can get those from home depot, set it on top of the upper balljoint and read, do this on a level floor.
Most likely when the pinion points where it needs to be your caster is close to where it needs to be. Shoot for around 3-4 degrees
Easy enough. I've got an angle finder so I'll put it back on the ground and do that. Thanks!

I wonder why Blaine told me pinion is more important? I thought it was kind of odd and might make handling funky.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #130
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Kinda take the middle road, get caster and pinion angle close to where you want it

Unread 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #131
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Kinda take the middle road, get caster and pinion angle close to where you want it
Ill do that. As long as it drives good and I got no vibes I'm happy.
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #132
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ill do that. As long as it drives good and I got no vibes I'm happy.
you basically got a range from 2 to 6 degrees where you can work with

Unread 04-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #133
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you basically got a range from 2 to 6 degrees where you can work with
Less caster = faster return to center correct? Out of curiosity I put the angle finder on and it was at 4-5ish degrees, but it's on jackstands. It's sitting pretty close to ride height so I don't think it's going to change a whole lot when I put it down.
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #134
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You don't want to venture much away from that....... That's a little less than factory specs, which is desirable with the larger than factory tire size. FWIW... I'm at 5.2 according to my recent alignment. My pinion angle is between 2 and 3.... based on my crappy angle finder and crude placement.
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #135
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Less caster = faster return to center correct? Out of curiosity I put the angle finder on and it was at 4-5ish degrees, but it's on jackstands. It's sitting pretty close to ride height so I don't think it's going to change a whole lot when I put it down.
Nope, more caster is a faster return and better straight tracking

Too much and you get prone to death wobble
4-5 is good if need be a degree or 2 less doesn't hurt.
You do not want go higher than 4-5 degrees

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.