Moabrubi's Rubicon - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Moabrubi's Rubicon

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #106
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did some super ultra hardcore stuff to the Jeep today.These wheels that I got had some bald 35's on them. I was considering paying to get them unmounted but I'm cheap! It's seriously easy without beadlocks like the old Rhino had. When I get beadlocks they will probably be Rock Monster so they will be easier to mount then a normal one.

Figured why not take some pictures.

The terrible rattlecan job that they came with.

Broke the bead with the hi lift on both sides.

Soapy water make it really easy to pop the wheel off.

HF tire tool.

Pull tire off wheel on the front then do the same on the other side with 5 gallon bucket underneath.

Done.

Takes 5 mins per wheel and they wanted $50. I sure wish beadlocks were that easy! Glad I didn't pay for it. Getting them bead/glass blasted then clearcoating them to make them shiney again.

I'm out of stuff to do until my axle tube seals arrive. Maybe if I get bored enough I'll take a look at that suckdown winch again. Maybe build the switch panel?

Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #107
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Moabrubi;15312260]

Molly approves of the new suspension and half doors.

Good looking GSP .
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #108
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

Molly approves of the new suspension and half doors.

Good looking GSP .
Thanks, shes a good dog and loves to terrorize her buddy and be out in the fields. She's having puppies soon and I'm keeping one, going to name her Rubi.
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #109
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wish you werent so far away , I would be down for another GSP . My last one lived to be 14 , and she was crazy til the end ! They are some field dominating beasts! If theres a bird they are on point .
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #110
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Wish you werent so far away , I would be down for another GSP . My last one lived to be 14 , and she was crazy til the end ! They are some field dominating beasts! If theres a bird they are on point .
Yup especially these dogs, they are a line of national champs. One of which is a 5 time National Gun Dog champion. I'm not really into the competing stuff though.

Birds been kinda sucky lately though..
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #111
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got my trial wheel back yesterday. This is after sandblasting and then blasting it with glass beads. I think It came out pretty good , It's a finish that is very similar to Moab wheels with more texture. Some Matte clearcoat and my wheels are good to go.

I can't wheel the Jeep, and there's not much to do since my Under Armor or axle tube seals aren't in. I decided to go ahead and start the suckdown winch.

First up was a trip to my favorite hardware store. Here's almost everything I need, I just need a few miscellaneous bolt and some switches. I really don't have much into this project.

I cut that double clevis in half to get this. Don't worry, it's bigger then it looks in the picture and is rated plenty strong for this application. This is the piece that welds to the frame on the drivers side. It has more then enough weld surface for it to stay.

I deicded to go similar to the Stu method. There's no room on the inside of the framerail to mount the winch.

Winch mocked up. You can see how far away I am from sitting on the plate. I have quite a bit of inner fender clearancing to do.

I got kinda lucky with the steel I used. I had an old winchplate from the old Rhino. It just so happened to have the holes already drilled in it for the bolt pattern of my winch.

Here are the two pieces put together.

Then I welded it all together and painted it. OOPS! As I was typing this I realized I hadn't welded the bungs on the plate for the bolts that go through the shock tower yet. Oh well, I'll just have to grind it back down.

So I need to grind the paint down, weld those bungs on, drill the holes in the shock tower and coil bucket for the mounting holes. Then I need to clearance the inner fender. Once I do all that the winch is mounted. I don't want to install the pulley until I get my pinion set, I don't know how much the axle is going to rotate after the Under Armor. I also don't know if my Antirock is going to clear yet. I am hoping that I can lower it enough so that it doesen't hit the winch. I know Stu's cleared with the Swayloc, so I don't expect issues. The Arc that it travels in avoids the winch for the most part.

Also going to order the Viking Synthetic suckdown winch line. Should be pretty slick.
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #112
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good bro, So that pully you got came with the mounting tabs? That looks perfect. I'll need to get one just like it. Also good idea on the double clevis thingie, I was a little unsure how to accomplish the attachment point on the frame.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #113
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Looking good bro, So that pully you got came with the mounting tabs? That looks perfect. I'll need to get one just like it. Also good idea on the double clevis thingie, I was a little unsure how to accomplish the attachment point on the frame.
I pieced the pulley together with some welding tabs, roller, bushings and a bolt. It came out pretty slick. I'm not sure how much an actual pulley kit costs but I like the way mine fits on the axle tube. The double clevis thing was the best option I could find. I wanted something that wouldn't clank, and that I could easily attach/remove the winch line.

Do you have a Mcfadden Dale industrial supply near you? That's where I got all this stuff, I could send you the parts list.
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #114
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
I pieced the pulley together with some welding tabs, roller, bushings and a bolt. It came out pretty slick. I'm not sure how much an actual pulley kit costs but I like the way mine fits on the axle tube. The double clevis thing was the best option I could find. I wanted something that wouldn't clank, and that I could easily attach/remove the winch line.

Do you have a Mcfadden Dale industrial supply near you? That's where I got all this stuff, I could send you the parts list.
No I don't know of a place named that near here. I think I've seen everything I need at tractor supply though. I'll get it sorted even if I have to make my mounting tabs. I'm sure the pulley itself I'll be able to find.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #115
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Coming along nicely

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #116
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Coming along nicely
Thanks. Did you just use the steel cable? Think the 10' synthethic line is a waste of $$?
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #117
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks. Did you just use the steel cable? Think the 10' synthethic line is a waste of $$?
I used the steel cable, went cheap. You can always use the steel cable first, if you do not care for it, change it. Broke the steel cable once, then just looped it and used cable clamps, has been happy ever since

Unread 04-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #118
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I used the steel cable, went cheap. You can always use the steel cable first, if you do not care for it, change it. Broke the steel cable once, then just looped it and used cable clamps, has been happy ever since
I might change it out, it's only $40.

Also, did you have to clearance your fender out? Mine hits.. Alot. You can see in the pictures above how far I am from the mounting holes.
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #119
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I might change it out, it's only $40.

Also, did you have to clearance your fender out? Mine hits.. Alot. You can see in the pictures above how far I am from the mounting holes.
I have tube fenders with home made inner fenders and yes the cable rubs on it

Just not enough for me to worry about it.

Unread 04-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #120
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have tube fenders with home made inner fenders and yes the cable rubs on it

Just not enough for me to worry about it.
Looks like a BFH will be required then. .

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.