Moabrubi's Rubicon - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Moabrubi's Rubicon

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #61
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I made some progress on the front suspension. Springs, shocks, trackbars, and ACOS have been removed. Now working on getting the good stuff in.

First order of business was to remove this sucker.

Working the edges.

Now it's getting really ugly.

And out! The air hammer knocked this thing right out. I like air hammers .

JJ pressed in. This went in relatively easy with a BFH.

The difference between the crap stock arm and the Savvy double adjustable arms is amazing.

Upper arm installed. Going to adjust everything once I have it all on.

Up next is the passenger side JJ.

Whacked 2.5" above the axle tube.

Here it is mocked up. I'm going to drill the back of the mount out and add a plug weld for added strength along with all the other welds. Going to weld it in, put the trackbar in, put the bumpstops in, and cycle the suspension.

That's all for now, hoping to have the front done by this weekend. .

I've decided on the Savvy Modular under armor for ease of installation and being that it's a little cheaper. When it's in stock I'm going to go get it. Living so close to Savvy costs me way too much money!

Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #62
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

More stuff done.

Pushed welding the JJ housing kit back a little bit, did some other stuff instead. Bumpstops drilled and tapped, but Currie sent me the wrong length bolt for the lower bumpstop. No biggie.

Old vs new lower control arm. JJ washers and big azz wrench for the jam nuts on the Savvy arm.

Lower arm installed. I highly recommend the JJ washers to anyone running JJ's. Centering the JJ is super easy and you don't have to worry as much about wallowing out the hole due to a loose bolt.

I also drilled the frame side trackbar mount to 5/8" for the new TJJ trackbar. Next I'm going to install the trackbar, put the bumpstops and shocks in, tack the JJ housing and cycle the suspension to check for clearances/binding. Then weld it in, put the extended brakelines on, fix the electrical connector I broke, weld mini skids on, springs in, and center the axle since it's nowhere near it needs to be.

I think that's all for the front, Anyways I just can't wait to go wheel this thing. I just hope the under armor gets back in stock before then.
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #63
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Get those axle JJ's in , we want to see the finished pictures !
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #64
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also drilled the frame side trackbar mount to 5/8" for the new TJJ trackbar. Next I'm going to install the trackbar, put the bumpstops and shocks in, tack the JJ housing and cycle the suspension to check for clearances/binding. Then weld it in, put the extended brakelines on, fix the electrical connector I broke, weld mini skids on, springs in, and center the axle since it's nowhere near it needs to be.

Tighten the snot out of that 5/8" bolt and check it regularly, that bolt likes to work loose
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #65
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post

Tighten the snot out of that 5/8" bolt and check it regularly, that bolt likes to work loose
Yea I thought the same. Its pretty loosey goosey in there. Almost makes me wish i hadn't drilled it out that big? Im going to torque that snot it and be sure to carry sockets for it. In the next year or 2 i'm going to whack that trackbar bracket and put a double shear bracket anyways.
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #66
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Get those axle JJ's in , we want to see the finished pictures !
I want to see the finished pictures too! . I miss wheeling already! .
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #67
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Love the build you use quality parts man, I want a Novak shifter bad my linkage is so loud and clunky and its a pain to get into 4low.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #68
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade88 View Post
Love the build you use quality parts man, I want a Novak shifter bad my linkage is so loud and clunky and its a pain to get into 4low.
Thanks! Buy quality cry once!

I havent had a chance to use the Novak wheeling yet but it is so much smoother in the garage. I expect no more grinding/yanking to get into 4low.
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #69
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Yea I thought the same. Its pretty loosey goosey in there. Almost makes me wish i hadn't drilled it out that big? Im going to torque that snot it and be sure to carry sockets for it. In the next year or 2 i'm going to whack that trackbar bracket and put a double shear bracket anyways.
On my yellow Jeep I cut the jj end of the trackbar of a long time ago and welded a bung on it used a heim, mounted it double shear after I braced the cracked trackbar mount. Did I say the Hammers was a bit rough on my lil Jeep.

Pretty nice goodies by the way, you'll like those
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #70
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet build, where in rancho are you?
I'm in Ontario off the 60 close to the 15 also
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #71
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
On my yellow Jeep I cut the jj end of the trackbar of a long time ago and welded a bung on it used a heim, mounted it double shear after I braced the cracked trackbar mount. Did I say the Hammers was a bit rough on my lil Jeep.

Pretty nice goodies by the way, you'll like those
I was interested in the Poly trackbar bracket but it looks like I need to use a different rod end. Aside from making my own, do you know of any double shear brackets that will work with my trackbar as it sits? The poly one looks like it has a pretty big drop too, I would like to avoid using a drop pitman arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorres018 View Post
Sweet build, where in rancho are you?
I'm in Ontario off the 60 close to the 15 also
I'm around the 15/210 so we are pretty close by.
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #72
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure I could read and find the answer but... What bumpstops are you using? And how do you like them?
LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #73
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
I'm sure I could read and find the answer but... What bumpstops are you using? And how do you like them?
They are Currie bumpstops. Haven't really used them yet but they are nice. I only have experience with the stock stuff though.
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #74
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
I was interested in the Poly trackbar bracket but it looks like I need to use a different rod end. Aside from making my own, do you know of any double shear brackets that will work with my trackbar as it sits? The poly one looks like it has a pretty big drop too, I would like to avoid using a drop pitman arm.

I'm around the 15/210 so we are pretty close by.
Post a few pics of your current trackbar setup
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #75
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I haven't touched it for a couple days but more progress has been made. I honestly didn't think it would take this long. Sorry for the sucky pictures, my camera doesn't do so good in the poorly lit garage.

Goodridge 4" lift stainless steel brakelines installed. Not much to it.

Then the JJ housing kit is on. Yea yea I know the welds aren't stack of dimes quality.

I put a plug weld in the back for added strength.

Mini skids installed. I really like these things. I didn't see a point in welding them to the housing so I didn't bother with that.

Lastly dealing with the wobbly frame side track bar bracket. Got a little creative and made this:

5/8" ID, .755 OD bushing made out of a .308 barrel . Drilled the mount out to 3/4 and it was a nice press fit with some light taps from a hammer. No more wobbly frame side trackbar bolt to worry about .

So all that's left is to put the springs/shocks on, center the axle and set the pinion then the front is done. The bolts for my Currie bumpstops arrived so I put those on as well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.