Moabrubi's Rubicon - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Moabrubi's Rubicon

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #436
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Thanks for all the info. Being able to switch from SOA and SUA is something I wanted to do in case something changes later so that is noted. I believe I was quoted $250 OTD for a ready to rock axle built to my specs, brakes and all.

Now I just need to figure out the specs
The brakes kind of worry me on something this light... off road I see the brake controller absolutely freaking out. And I don't know if you'd be able to turn it down enough with a light trailer.... just thinking out loud here. It would be nice piece of mind towing down the highway though.

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #437
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
The brakes kind of worry me on something this light... off road I see the brake controller absolutely freaking out. And I don't know if you'd be able to turn it down enough with a light trailer.... just thinking out loud here. It would be nice piece of mind towing down the highway though.
Not sure what brake system he is using, but I've never heard of anyone having issues with brakes on small off-road trailers. I know some can be turned-off with the flip of a switch when you hit the trail.
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #438
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Im not sure what system im using but whatever it ends up being it will be able to be turned off. I dont think brakes would give any problems on the trail though?
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #439
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Im not sure what system im using but whatever it ends up being it will be able to be turned off. I dont think brakes would give any problems on the trail though?
I don't see any issues on the trail with brakes on trails either. If anything you'll like it for steep descents and ledges. Those are about the only times I wish I had brakes on my trailer.
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #440
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking an inertia based controller would freak out on the trail with all the bouncing around.
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #441
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was thinking an inertia based controller would freak out on the trail with all the bouncing around.
There is an old school fix for that, find an old fashioned controller that senses of brake hydraulic pressure and that problem is solved
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #442
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Back from PVD 2013. Man, what a great run! We ran Isham, Cummins Cutoff, and pleasant canyon. Isham was definitely the hardest wheeling I've done to date. Took us 9 hours to do like 2 miles. One guy turned around, we had a flop, ripped soft tops, cracked hardtop and a bunch of other little things.

My carnage for the weekend wasn't too bad considering. the can carrier that I put back on is now mangled, My rear shock got hit by a rock and something came apart (no idea what it is, I think its the dust wiper) bent the front passenger fender and bent something in my steering. Other then that the Jeep survived OK.

I have 600 pictures of the entire group but those will take a while to upload so heres some of me I uploaded really quick
Isham..

I managed to get away with just a scuff on this one.

Between a rock and a hard place.

Cummins cutoff.

Between a rock and a hard place.. again LOL.

Unread 11-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #443
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome. I thought about wheeling this weekend.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #444
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Damn that looks awesome!
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #445
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Those are some intense wheeling shots. Looks like a real good time though! Glad you made it home in mostly one piece. Do you know yet what in your steering got damaged?
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #446
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Awesome. I thought about wheeling this weekend.
Well shoulda drove on out!

Quote:
Damn that looks awesome!
It was! Pics don't even show how steep some of those obstacles are. You will LOVE that trail buddy, You will even get to drive like an east coaster! On the last hill ( really loose rocks/sand) I was dam near flooring it in 2nd gear low range locked up and barely made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
Those are some intense wheeling shots. Looks like a real good time though! Glad you made it home in mostly one piece. Do you know yet what in your steering got damaged?
It was a awesome time, I'm not sure yet since nothing looks bent but I'm thinking a TRE since I smacked the tie rod real hard. My wheel is sitting at 2 o clock on the highway.

Here's a couple more I liked.

Unread 11-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #447
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That flop had to suck....how does it look now?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #448
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Look a few pics back at the red CJ, windshield frame tweeked, glass gone.
Top probably messed up
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #449
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Look a few pics back at the red CJ, windshield frame tweeked, glass gone.
Top probably messed up
Yep it sucked. He was actually winching to me but the guy controlling the winch pulled him too hard making him flop. After this trip an in cab winch control is on the list. Art is spot on, The windshield fell out in one piece and survived but it broke on the drive back to camp. Windshield frame bent, torn soft top and dented corner. It was a hard flop so he was pretty lucky.

Unread 11-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #450
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

In cab winch control is easy to make and well worth it. Not the first time stuff happened during PVD because of crappy spotting and what not. Just ask the guy with the pretty red Rubicon (Kevin) They got him into a serious pickle last year when trying to climb the waterfall on Isham

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.