Moabrubi's Rubicon - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Moabrubi's Rubicon

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #331
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well all it needs is one and mine hasn't squeaked yet in the several years that it has been on my Jeep.
I lost the Currie JJ 4 years ago

Unread 08-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #332
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did a lil wheeling on Dishpan and Holcomb. One in the group was there first time doing real wheeling and they had a blast! High centering, strapping, winching, 2 blown beads 20 feet into the trail, bent tie rod, bent side steps and lotsa new dings. Tons of fun.

I will say I'm pretty dissapointed at Holcomb. Even since the last time I ran it the trail has been stacked like crazy and it even looks like people have been moving the big rocks. I don't know why they have to make it easier! If you can't handle the trail then don't go on it.

There's my rant for the day, anyway here's all the pics of the run.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9036891...7635021314224/

My carnage was pretty stupid on my part! Remember that old sway bar bracket I thought I would be fine just trimming the end off? Well the tie rod clamp decided it was going to rub on that and bend the bolt. When I went to take it off it was so hard to get off that it snapped the bolt right in half
Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #333
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

great photos
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #334
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
great photos
Thanks, the others got some more better ones of the waterfall so I'll post those when I get them.
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #335
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Going through old pics.. I want to go back to Moab. Hopefully next year. Trailer it and hit some harder trails this time around.

I've got the mod bug too but no desire to spend any more on the Jeep right now . Here's my list not in any particular order.

Savvy corners/tub rails.
PS cooler
Sleeve front axle
Stronger cage.. Maybe?
Synthetic line
Suspension seats
Down the road I'd like to outboard and correct the rear spring perches.

Maybe if I win the Powerball I'll get all this stuff and then some.
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #336
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You want to play a lil harder, start with the roll cage and some decent corners
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #337
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
You want to p[lay a lil harder start with the roll cage and some decent corners
Yea hopefully this winter I can get out some more then normal for the good wheeling.

Corners are probably next but I've been looking over roll cages. Just not sure yet what I would do if I do anything at all. That and the fact I have never welded tubing like that. At least I got plenty of time.
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #338
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Picked me up one of those Rokmen JJ tools. Does both size JJs all in one. Probably wont need it for quite a while, but its kinda neat and you can never have too many tools!
1377304855376.jpg  
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #339
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So.. cages. I've been looking at a couple options here. Seems like this is what I got.

Option A: Buy the Poly Cage, though it seems to me it has some compromises.

Option B: Fab shop build a custom cage... Expensive?

Option C: Build my own! Seems like this is an expensive route as well. I've been looking at the JD2 model 3 bender. Is that sufficient enough for 1.75" .120 wall tubing? Or will I be wishing I had hydraulic? The dies are pretty pricey too. From what I've been reading, it's pretty difficult to do right without bending software as well. I haven't even started looking at notchers.

I'd really like to build my own, but I fear it would be quite a project. I've never dealt with a cages or tubing before . On the other hand, building it how it should be done, the knowledge gained, the extra tools that I would have, and the satisfaction knowing I did it would be awesome. But, I know building a full blown cage tied into the frame and all is NOT cheap.

Sooo, any thoughts? In over my head? This isn't something I'm doing anytime soon, just brainstorming a bit. I'll be picking up some Corner armor here in a bit first.
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #340
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
So.. cages. I've been looking at a couple options here. Seems like this is what I got.

Option A: Buy the Poly Cage, though it seems to me it has some compromises.

Option B: Fab shop build a custom cage... Expensive?

Option C: Build my own! Seems like this is an expensive route as well. I've been looking at the JD2 model 3 bender. Is that sufficient enough for 1.75" .120 wall tubing? Or will I be wishing I had hydraulic? The dies are pretty pricey too. From what I've been reading, it's pretty difficult to do right without bending software as well. I haven't even started looking at notchers.

I'd really like to build my own, but I fear it would be quite a project. I've never dealt with a cages or tubing before . On the other hand, building it how it should be done, the knowledge gained, the extra tools that I would have, and the satisfaction knowing I did it would be awesome. But, I know building a full blown cage tied into the frame and all is NOT cheap.

Sooo, any thoughts? In over my head? This isn't something I'm doing anytime soon, just brainstorming a bit. I'll be picking up some Corner armor here in a bit first.
I've been thinking along these lines lately also.... but I keep coming back to realizing that YES the aftermarket cages available do compromise.... but they also will provide MUCH better protection than the factory cage for a ONE time incident. If you are looking to build a cage that you can roll or even flop HARD and not have to throw away and start over you are probably over your head because you'd have to do something like Mike or Art has done. And at that point you are compromising other things. The Poly cage is about as good as it gets, and should allow you to wheel with confidence knowing that you've done a reasonable amount of reinforcing if you have an incident..... and you just have to not get cocky and realize that you shouldn't be hauling ***, or putting yourself in a situation where speed is a factor off road, along with the possibility for multiple rolls or wheeling any harder just because you think you'll be fine if you roll..... that will expose those compromises immediately. That's my line of thought on it right now.
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #341
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I've been thinking along these lines lately also.... but I keep coming back to realizing that YES the aftermarket cages available do compromise.... but they also will provide MUCH better protection than the factory cage for a ONE time incident. If you are looking to build a cage that you can roll or even flop HARD and not have to throw away and start over you are probably over your head because you'd have to do something like Mike or Art has done. And at that point you are compromising other things. The Poly cage is about as good as it gets, and should allow you to wheel with confidence knowing that you've done a reasonable amount of reinforcing if you have an incident..... and you just have to not get cocky and realize that you shouldn't be hauling ***, or putting yourself in a situation where speed is a factor off road, along with the possibility for multiple rolls or wheeling any harder just because you think you'll be fine if you roll..... that will expose those compromises immediately. That's my line of thought on it right now.
I just want something that will keep me safe in the unfortunate/unexpected event of a rollover, Whether it be on the trail or getting there. It definitely won't change my wheeling style and I'm not going to try something I wouldn't normally just because I have a cage. After a roll any Jeep is going to be trashed anyways, so I'm not looking to roll it 5 times then push it over on its wheels and keep going

From the little understanding of cages I have, it seems like the Poly cage is pretty good that's why it's my option A at the moment. Maybe add a windshield V, tie it to the frame and add a little more triangulation in the back?

I'm not sure an "X" across the B pillar behind the seats or running doors bars would be very practical.
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #342
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think Lu has a good setup, his is even a little more than I'm looking for. I personally don't like the diagonal bars or a harness bar if there will be passengers, you don't want any tube that you can easily smack your head on in an incident. That's my personal opinion, I know people do it and have other thoughts on it. I get that belief from being into road and drag racing before Jeeps.... its a big no no in that world.
Unread 09-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #343
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think Lu has a good setup, his is even a little more than I'm looking for. I personally don't like the diagonal bars or a harness bar if there will be passengers, you don't want any tube that you can easily smack your head on in an incident. That's my personal opinion, I know people do it and have other thoughts on it. I get that belief from being into road and drag racing before Jeeps.... its a big no no in that world.
You want the tubes over your head as far away from them as you can if you look at the stock top you can actually raise them up quite a bit higher than the tube that holds the door surrounds. Some kinda triangulation on the top is good otherwise the cage will kitty corner in a flop or roll and tweek the whole tub. If you do not carry passengers in the rear some kinda cross or triangulation of the B pillar is good. Cage tie ins for the A and C pillar is a good thing also.
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #344
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No passengers here, so that's not a real concern of mine. I just need it to be somewhat practical and work with the soft top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
You want the tubes over your head as far away from them as you can if you look at the stock top you can actually raise them up quite a bit higher than the tube that holds the door surrounds. Some kinda triangulation on the top is good otherwise the cage will kitty corner in a flop or roll and tweek the whole tub. If you do not carry passengers in the rear some kinda cross or triangulation of the B pillar is good. Cage tie ins for the A and C pillar is a good thing also.
If I'm understanding right, it looks like the Poly lacks triangulation overhead. If you land hard on the side, the door surround bar area (for lack of a better term) is going to cave in a lot easier.

Triangulated overhead bars.

Another thing I notice with the Poly kit is it seems like it has a lot of unnecessary bends?

Doing a cross/triangulated B pillar seems like it's pretty much impossible in the stock location.

Here's my thoughts as of right now... Driving like you have no cage is the best cage. You can put in a compromised version of a cage, but don't rely on it to keep you safe. Honestly after reading the TJ cage thread, I'm not sure what I want

I think the stock ones staying for a while.
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #345
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
No passengers here, so that's not a real concern of mine. I just need it to be somewhat practical and work with the soft top.

If I'm understanding right, it looks like the Poly lacks triangulation overhead. If you land hard on the side, the door surround bar area (for lack of a better term) is going to cave in a lot easier.

Triangulated overhead bars.

Another thing I notice with the Poly kit is it seems like it has a lot of unnecessary bends?

Doing a cross/triangulated B pillar seems like it's pretty much impossible in the stock location.

Here's my thoughts as of right now... Driving like you have no cage is the best cage. You can put in a compromised version of a cage, but don't rely on it to keep you safe. Honestly after reading the TJ cage thread, I'm not sure what I want

I think the stock ones staying for a while.
Well at the very least... get some kind of A pillar bar in there. Every flop or roll I see with out one, the windshield is instantly demolished and usually caving in towards the passenger compartment.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.