Moabrubi's Rubicon - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Moabrubi's Rubicon

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #271
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well looks like my winchline is toast from that. This thing only has 7 or so pulls on it and I always took care of it. Now I just need to decide, Steel or synthetic.

\

Warn pulled like a champ. Steel winch cable and Optima battery didn't handle it so well

Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #272
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Synthetic

Hands down

Want to head back to bear next weekend anyone? I have been wanting to start the day coming up deep creek. Do Holcomb. Then head to John bull and run it the harder way

Nuff said...[/CENTER]
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #273
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Well looks like my winchline is toast from that. This thing only has 7 or so pulls on it and I always took care of it. Now I just need to decide, Steel or synthetic.

\

Warn pulled like a champ. Steel winch cable and Optima battery didn't handle it so well

Cable is fine, you didn't spool it correctly. One hard pull should take care of it. Or buy another steel cable from somebody, that just has to have a synthetic winch line. I haven't seen a good reason to replace either steel cable on my winches yet. Both been used hard quite a few times.
Don't get me wrong a quality synthetic winch line is nice, but they have a terribly bad habit of getting bound up on the winch drum, makes it hard to spool out. Steel has worked well for me to date. Synthetic is nice when it breaks, just falls to the ground and yes I have seen them break when they shouldn't have. winch line was rated higher than the 9000 lbs winch yet it snapped without pulling real hard. Was a quality brand winch line too
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #274
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
Synthetic

Hands down

Want to head back to bear next weekend anyone? I have been wanting to start the day coming up deep creek. Do Holcomb. Then head to John bull and run it the harder way
And the great debate starts. I'm a little torn which way to go still.

I'm thinking of going back and hitting Dishpan/Holcomb and maybe another trail if there is time. I was planning to hit Holcomb yesterday but that second obstacle really held us up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Cable is fine, you didn't spool it correctly. One hard pull should take care of it. Or buy another steel cable from somebody, that just has to have a synthetic winch line. I haven't seen a good reason to replace either steel cable on my winches yet. Both been used hard quite a few times.
Don't get me wrong a quality synthetic winch line is nice, but they have a terribly bad habit of getting bound up on the winch drum, makes it hard to spool out. Steel has worked well for me to date. Synthetic is nice when it breaks, just falls to the ground and yes I have seen them break when they shouldn't have. winch line was rated higher than the 9000 lbs winch yet it snapped without pulling real hard. Was a quality brand winch line too
I dunno, I spool it in properly every time. I make sure right before I winch that it is in there correctly as well. Yesterday at the end of the winching session i didn't spool it in correctly but I just left it loose.

Being able to drag it over rocks and stuff is nice, but steel can just be a pain in the butt sometimes.

Hmm.
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #275
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And the great debate starts. I'm a little torn which way to go still.

I'm thinking of going back and hitting Dishpan/Holcomb and maybe another trail if there is time. I was planning to hit Holcomb yesterday but that second obstacle really held us up.

I dunno, I spool it in properly every time. I make sure right before I winch that it is in there correctly as well. Yesterday at the end of the winching session i didn't spool it in correctly but I just left it loose.

Being able to drag it over rocks and stuff is nice, but steel can just be a pain in the butt sometimes.

Hmm.
Pros and cons for both. If I can ged my redlabels sold I'll buy some more 37's and come out and play. Has been a while since I have done some Big Bear trails
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #276
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Alright more pictures have arrived.

Coming up the Gatekeeper

Here is where that LJ was stuck on the right side. He had no winch to pull himself up.

So I had to try climbing the left to get up above him and winch him up.

Pretty sweet picture of me bumping it.

My passenger rear tire is trying to climb up a 3 foot ledge with limited traction.

I kept sliding off the rock and ended up here.

For timesake I decided to winch. I probably could have made it with some persistence.

I really like this one as well.

Fun day, No pictures of me winching the group up. I want to go back before the summer is over and try that again.
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #277
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can climb the left side, just got to go way high to the point it almost wants to flop and it will walk up
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #278
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
You can climb the left side, just got to go way high to the point it almost wants to flop and it will walk up
I think I know the line your talking about. I tried that and just slid to the right.
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #279
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

looks like fun

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #280
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Synthetic all the way for safety reasons alone

If you have ever seen a cable snap under tension you won't hesitate to go with synthetic

The weight savings and non hand cutting wire is just a bonus

Nuff said...[/CENTER]
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #281
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
Synthetic all the way for safety reasons alone

If you have ever seen a cable snap under tension you won't hesitate to go with synthetic

The weight savings and non hand cutting wire is just a bonus
I would have probably ordered the Viking line already if I had an extra $400 sitting around right now. You know how that goes.

For the time being I had an extra cable sitting in the corner of the garage so I just threw that on there.
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #282
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can look into someplace like this

http://www.reddenmarine.com/samson-r...blue-foot.html

You can buy it by the foot. Just need to splice it yourself but its worth learning
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #283
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KONG_ View Post
You can look into someplace like this

http://www.reddenmarine.com/samson-r...blue-foot.html

You can buy it by the foot. Just need to splice it yourself but its worth learning
Thats a lot more reasonably priced and learning to splice it would be a must anyway IMO. I will save that link for when the time comes.

I'd also like to add a safety thimble to this as well. I like it a lot better then hooks.
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #284
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats a lot more reasonably priced and learning to splice it would be a must anyway IMO. I will save that link for when the time comes.

I'd also like to add a safety thimble to this as well. I like it a lot better then hooks.
That is my plan as well. I was watching a few youtube videos and it seems pretty straightforward
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #285
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KONG_ View Post
That is my plan as well. I was watching a few youtube videos and it seems pretty straightforward
Thanks for all the info, I just watched a couple Youtube videos and splicing is pretty simple. I added up the cost and it looks like I'd save around $80 buying the Sampson Amsteel with a safety thimble and 8' rock guard vs just buying the Viking setup.

I'd like to learn to splice so when I do get a rope I'll probably put it together myself. I'm really liking this synthetic stuff .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.