Moabrubi's Rubicon - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Moabrubi's Rubicon

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 05-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #211
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
I'm 2.5" away from touching the bumpstops. So I would need some pretty short shocks and lose quite a bit of downtravel correct? I really don't want to do that, but I didn't want to spend the $ on outboarding either. I guess I got the wrong shocks, although on the box they say TJ 4" lift.

Don't have a cherry picker or any means to flex the suspension with the springs installed.
When you get it drivable swing by my house or go to Cleghorn, plenty of flex test spots there.

Unread 05-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #212
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
When you get it drivable swing by my house or go to Cleghorn, plenty of flex test spots there.
When I get the shocks all sorted out and everything running I'll probably shoot up to Cleghorn for a test run. I guess I'll check for coil bind there. I emailed Gerald @ Savvy to see about the shocks. But at this point it looks like outboarding might be the way to go.....

Looks like I need a shorter then I originally ordered driveshaft too. Good thing they didn't build it yet.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #213
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I recieved my Tom Woods 1310 Rubicon driveshaft today. Mine doesn't look very nice, The paint is flaking already. Oh well, it's a tool not a jewel right?

I finally go to put it on and fine tune my pinion angle when the U-Joint wont seat into the pinion yoke. So now I have to call TW and see what to do. It sucks because I had a wheeling trip planned this weekend. Guess that's not going to happen. I guess project "Longest build on short arms ever" lives up to it's name . This has taken me wayy too long!
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #214
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The black cloud keeps following me .

I recieved my Tom Woods 1310 Rubicon driveshaft today. Mine doesn't look very nice, The paint is flaking already. Oh well, it's a tool not a jewel right?

I finally go to put it on and fine tune my pinion angle when the U-Joint wont seat into the pinion yoke. So now I have to call TW and see what to do. It sucks because I had a wheeling trip planned this weekend. Guess that's not going to happen. I guess project "Longest build on short arms ever" lives up to it's name . This has taken me wayy too long!
The U joint cups are to big or the U joint is a hair to wide?
The latter is normal a good tap with a hammer on the cup that does not want to seat will settle in place or try to squeeze the cups together with a C clamp
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #215
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The U joint cups are to big or the U joint is a hair to wide?
The latter is normal a good tap with a hammer on the cup that does not want to seat will settle in place or try to squeeze the cups together with a C clamp
I can get one cap fully seated, but the other one is roughly 1/4" away from seating. It doesn't look too wide. The caps look like they will clear the centering lugs but maybe I will try the C clamp and see what happens.
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #216
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you squeezed some grease in there then that's what happend. What did you spec it with? a 1310 or a 1330 U joint? Rubicons normally use a 1330 U joint
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #217
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you squeezed some grease in there then that's what happend. What did you spec it with? a 1310 or a 1330 U joint? Rubicons normally use a 1330 U joint
I didn't squeeze any grease, it came all greased up... With ALOT of grease. I just tried the C clamp and no dice. Couldn't get enough power with the little handle. I guess I will try the hammer method tomorrow and see what happens. I'm still not sure if it's the width of the joint though.

TW reccomended a 1310 U-Joint so I wouldn't get any binding with the steep driveline angle. I believe it still uses 1330's at the double cardan on the T-Case end.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #218
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well a 1310 U joint should fit , those are not as wide as a 1330 U joint. If all else carefully pull the cups off and take some grease out or try taking the grease fitting out so you can squeeze the grease out
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #219
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well a 1310 U joint should fit , those are not as wide as a 1330 U joint. If all else carefully pull the cups off and take some grease out or try taking the grease fitting out so you can squeeze the grease out
I'll probably try that too. But I'm just not 100% sure if the width is the issue. Looks like it will clear just fine .

Tomorrow I'll take a closer look at it. Width of the joint, size of the caps etc. compared to the stock driveshaft. The stock driveshaft slips in with no problems at all.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #220
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

New U joints tend to do that, good wack with a hammer on top of the cup that sticking out generally seats it in the yoke no problem The diam of the cups the same as the stock U joint?
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #221
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
New U joints tend to do that, good wack with a hammer on top of the cup that sticking out generally seats it in the yoke no problem The diam of the cups the same as the stock U joint?
Never mind.. got it! I took it off and got my biggest C clamp. Cranked down on it real good and it went in like butter. Looks like when they greased it the caps popped out a little.

Thanks for all the help Art. This whole Jeep has been a learning experience but I'm glad you are here to help me when I screw something up .

So tomorrow when i get home I am working on this thing until it's driveable! I hope the exhaust shop is open late enough because I still need to get that redone.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #222
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Never mind.. got it! I took it off and got my biggest C clamp. Cranked down on it real good and it went in like butter. Looks like when they greased it the caps popped out a little.

Thanks for all the help Art. This whole Jeep has been a learning experience but I'm glad you are here to help me when I screw something up .

So tomorrow when i get home I am working on this thing until it's driveable! I hope the exhaust shop is open late enough because I still need to get that redone.
You are welcome my friend, glad it's under control
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #223
janesy86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! Better see some pics of it in action this weekend !

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #224
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got it out of the garage. It drove fantastic. Getting the exhaust done now.
1368906323905.jpg  
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #225
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So it drives pretty good. The exhaust shop did an excellent job and the exhaust clears everything with room to spare. They made it so I wouldn't smash the tip on rocks anymore either.Managed to get it to 75mph in the So.Cal traffic with no vibes or anything out of the ordinary. It's got a little less power with the 35's and 4.10s but it's manageable. I can live with these gears for a while.

Drove up to my little poser rock a couple minutes away from my house to get some pics. The front's not at full bump yet in these pics. I also was able to drive through a little wash with lots of rocks, whoops, and dips and was able to go pretty fast. The Fox shocks are really a step up from my old Bilsteins in the rough stuff!

For a mostly bolt on lift. The Savvy/Currie 4" is pretty dang hard to beat. I am very satisfied .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.