Moabrubi's Rubicon - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Moabrubi's Rubicon

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #196
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
what happened to your stock moabs? No offense but I like those better
Sold them. I like them too but they werent worth the cost difference.

I would have needed spacers.Also tires for 16" wheels are way more expensive. IIRC it was $100ish more a tire for a 315/75/16. I actually paid less for these 35s then my old 32" coopers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using JeepForum

Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #197
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hear ya. 16" wheels are way over priced
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #198
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rokmen TT showed up today .

Like all Rokmen products this thing is top notch quality. It only took an hour to install. I'm really happy with this skid and am glad I picked this one.

I had to trim the exhaust hanger. Remember in the LoPro instructions where I had to cut and drill a hole to fit the 2 pieces together? Well it just so happens those dimensions worked absolutely perfect with the Rokmen skid and moved my exhaust away from the passenger UCA mount.

19 1/2" to the belly pan. Not bad.

I highly recommend the Rokmen skid. Sure it's not as flat as some others, but the install was the easiest thing I've done to the Jeep. The skid fit so good that I was able to thread the bolts by hand all the way. All I need to do is paint it and I'm good to go. Engine skid should be shipped in 2-3 weeks. Ordering my TW driveshaft tomorrow too. I have a $100 gift certificate that I won at a rock crawl event last year.

Doing a shakedown run at Gold Mtn. on the 25th. If nothing on the Jeep goes wrong then the plan is to hit John Bull and Holcomb as well. It would be nice to have my engine skid by then to have some peace of mind though.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #199
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

19.5 is nice man, your rig must be sitting pretty high! Is your frame to ground 22?
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #200
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
19.5 is nice man, your rig must be sitting pretty high! Is your frame to ground 22?
Yep. Rokmen skid is 2.5" deep. I expect the rig to settle a little but IMO it's about perfect on 35's right now. I can tell you for a fact that a Jeep with a 5.5" RE lift on 33's sits taller then mine with 4" springs, 1.25"Bl and 35s. Even when it settles a bit, 19" is plenty of ground clearance for what I plan to do with this rig.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #201
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a nice piece! And yeah 19" is what I would have, completely flat at my lift height! So you're doing good as long as you don't feel it's to high and tippy for where your wheeling and what your doing.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #202
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks like a nice piece! And yeah 19" is what I would have, completely flat at my lift height! So you're doing good as long as you don't feel it's to high and tippy for where your wheeling and what your doing.
I don't think it will be. The guys I wheel with regularly are just as tall or taller then me and they never have any issues with being tippy. Taller rigs seem to work better down here, I've talked to a few guys who had the LCG thing going and they ended up throwing some taller springs in. Plus I got the suckdown winch for the steep climbs .
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #203
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
I don't think it will be. The guys I wheel with regularly are just as tall or taller then me and they never have any issues with being tippy. Taller rigs seem to work better down here, I've talked to a few guys who had the LCG thing going and they ended up throwing some taller springs in. Plus I got the suckdown winch for the steep climbs .
Right on, I agree dragging your under belly all over everything isn't really cool. I've ruined myself after all this time being this low, whenever I get in a taller rig I get anxious, but most every rig I wheel with is usually taller than me and it never seems to be an issue. Oh and just one more time.... COME TO MOAB!!!!
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #204
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Right on, I agree dragging your under belly all over everything isn't really cool. I've ruined myself after all this time being this low, whenever I get in a taller rig I get anxious, but most every rig I wheel with is usually taller than me and it never seems to be an issue. Oh and just one more time.... COME TO MOAB!!!!
Haha I wish! My dog is having puppies soon so only day trips for a while.I really want to run some harder trails next time I go though. If there is a Jeepforum Moab wheelin trip in June 2014 I am in for that one .
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #205
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My yellow one has 19" under the belly. 20.5" under the frame at 3.5" of lift and 35" tires. My other one has 23" under the flat belly with 40" tires

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #206
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
My yellow one has 19" under the belly. 20.5" under the frame at 3.5" of lift and 35" tires. My other one has 23" under the flat belly with 40" tires
Your running a Teraflex skid on the yellow one right? Or did you build that one?
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #207
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Modified terraflex skid, bought used one for a older TJ years ago for 100 bucks and made it work after I braced it up

Unread 05-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #208
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Alright guys, more newbie questions here. So I needed to pull my springs to center my tires at full bump. So I pulled the springs and installed my bumpstops and shocks to center the tire in the wheel well. In doing so I found I have some other issues. I really didn't think to check any of this putting it all together. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

So here is the problem. I am going to bottom out the shock before I reach full bump:

Here's how far I am away from full bump.

Here's how close I am to the gas tank with the shock bottoming out where it is.

Here's the tire in the wheelwell. This is with the shock fully collapsed and the bumpstops as you see above.

So I pulled the shocks to get to actual full bump. Diff cover hit the gas tank. However, even if my shocks worked with this setup, wouldn't I get coil bind? The bumpstops seem awful short. I thought this was supposed to work together as a kit. Guess that's what I get for assuming.

Fat diff cover hitting the gas tank at full bump with shocks not installed. I know to fix this I just need to shorten my wheelbase, but the question is can the springs even compress this much without getting coil bind?

Also my control arms are set really long, I probably have over 2" of thread showing between both JJ's on the lowers and quite a bit on the uppers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a bit stumped as this is my first time doing anything like this. Do I need longer bumpstops? I don't think longer bumpstops are the answer since you can see how far I am away from stuffing that tire in the wheelwell. Think i need different shocks? Do I need both?

I hate having to ask, but I can't find any real solutions. . At least I got the front dialed in without any issues.
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #209
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Alright guys, more newbie questions here. So I needed to pull my springs to center my tires at full bump. So I pulled the springs and installed my bumpstops and shocks to center the tire in the wheel well. In doing so I found I have some other issues. I really didn't think to check any of this putting it all together. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

So here is the problem. I am going to bottom out the shock before I reach full bump:

Here's how far I am away from full bump.

Here's how close I am to the gas tank with the shock bottoming out where it is.

Here's the tire in the wheelwell. This is with the shock fully collapsed and the bumpstops as you see above.

So I pulled the shocks to get to actual full bump. Diff cover hit the gas tank. However, even if my shocks worked with this setup, wouldn't I get coil bind? The bumpstops seem awful short. I thought this was supposed to work together as a kit. Guess that's what I get for assuming.

Fat diff cover hitting the gas tank at full bump with shocks not installed. I know to fix this I just need to shorten my wheelbase, but the question is can the springs even compress this much without getting coil bind?

Also my control arms are set really long, I probably have over 2" of thread showing between both JJ's on the lowers and quite a bit on the uppers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a bit stumped as this is my first time doing anything like this. Do I need longer bumpstops? I don't think longer bumpstops are the answer since you can see how far I am away from stuffing that tire in the wheelwell. Think i need different shocks? Do I need both?

I hate having to ask, but I can't find any real solutions. . At least I got the front dialed in without any issues.
Shorter shocks or outboarding them seems to be the answer. On the springs the only way to find out if they will bind is to try and fully compress them by flexing the suspension. Do you have a cherry picker?

Also loosing the shock bracket extenders and trimming the lower spring bucket will help since it will extend the shock a bit more

Unread 05-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #210
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Shorter shocks or outboarding them seems to be the answer. On the springs the only way to find out if they will bind is to try and fully compress them by flexing the suspension. Do you have a cherry picker?

Also loosing the shock bracket extenders and trimming the lower spring bucket will help since it will extend the shock a bit more
I'm 2.5" away from touching the bumpstops. So I would need some pretty short shocks and lose quite a bit of downtravel correct? I really don't want to do that, but I didn't want to spend the $ on outboarding either. I guess I got the wrong shocks, although on the box they say TJ 4" lift.

Don't have a cherry picker or any means to flex the suspension with the springs installed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.