Moabrubi's Rubicon - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Moabrubi's Rubicon

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #151
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Suckdown winch project is almost done. Winch is bolted into place, pulley and frameside attachment are in. Welding the frame side attachment in was a real pain in the butt. Lying on your back, trying to hold the piece steady and weld it at the same time was pretty difficult. Weld's aren't pretty, but it got good penetration which is all that matters.

The finished winch mount. I used that other half of the clevis as a little hawse fairlead. Without it the cable was rubbing pretty hard on the edge of the bracket and would have frayed it. With the nice round edge it works much better.

Winch in place for the final time. You can see the little fairlead helps keep the cable away from the frame too.

The pulley. It took a few attempts to get it lined up perfectly right, but the cable lines up absolutely perfect in the roller.

Lastly the pain in the butt frame side attachment. This is one of those times where it would be nice to have 5 tiny hands. Holding the piece and gun steady was a bit difficult.

All it needs is paint and wiring and I can cross it off the list. Also, I think I win the award for slowest build on short arms ever . I don't ever think this Under Armor is going to be in stock. Tom Woods told me I can order the driveshaft 1/2" or so longer then it sits now to compensate for the UA. That way I can drive it until it's in stock. I may have to go that route....

Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #152
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work.....did you run a test yet on the suckdown???? Post up the vid!
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #153
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. Why not get something different than the UFC skid? They are not the only ones making belly ups and theirs aren't the greatest for strength either
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #154
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Nice work.....did you run a test yet on the suckdown???? Post up the vid!
Not yet, but tomorrow I will wire it up and do that .
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #155
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Looks good. Why not get something different than the UFC skid? They are not the only ones making belly ups and theirs aren't the greatest for strength either
I was waiting for the Savvy TT.

But whose do you suggest besides them? I had a terrible experience with the UCF skid already.
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #156
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

With your fab skills.... how about a Barnes skid? Can't beat the price....
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #157
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
With your fab skills.... how about a Barnes skid? Can't beat the price....
I do like the price, but that skid seems like a lot of extra work. I don't have any hardcore fab skills but drilling the holes for the tranny mount is no big deal. I would need a lower profile trans mount. Not even sure where I would start, maybe build a cross member similar to Savvy's?

Also I sold my engine skid I had since I was getting a new one with the Savvy package . So I would need another one of those.
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #158
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Make both of them yourself, the Savvy skid is actually pretty nice. It isn't terribly hard to built a crossmember and a strong belly and engine skid
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #159
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Make both of them yourself, the Savvy skid is actually pretty nice. It isn't terribly hard to built a crossmember and a strong belly and engine skid
I am still leaning toward the Savvy skid for easiness. Although it would be a lot cooler to build my own .

I really wouldn't even know where to start though. I know the end result of mine would be nowhere near as clean as the Savvy one either.
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #160
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

What issues did you have with the UCF skid? I seemed to have missed that
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #161
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
What issues did you have with the UCF skid? I seemed to have missed that
None of the holes for the frame were drilled correctly. I called UCF and he just said it was my Jeep, even though there are several threads out there with the same issue. That and some other past experiences led me to just sell the whole UCF package and go a different route.

I really wish it would have worked though, because my Jeep would be back on the road by now.
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #162
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
I do like the price, but that skid seems like a lot of extra work. I don't have any hardcore fab skills but drilling the holes for the tranny mount is no big deal. I would need a lower profile trans mount. Not even sure where I would start, maybe build a cross member similar to Savvy's?

Also I sold my engine skid I had since I was getting a new one with the Savvy package . So I would need another one of those.
I have the Savvy UA and it was worth the wait to me . When it got delayed I considered making my own . I could have figured something out but the engineering behind the UA is far more elegant than what I would have come up with .
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #163
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I have the Savvy UA and it was worth the wait to me . When it got delayed I considered making my own . I could have figured something out but the engineering behind the UA is far more elegant than what I would have come up with .
That's what I'm thinking at this point. Any armor I build would get the job done, but it wouldn't look as good as the Savvy UA.

I'll probably just wait for it.
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #164
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the video of the suckdown winch in action! It's got pretty good power, and the brake works awesome. The winch can easily suck it down to full bump and hold it there. During the test I confirmed that my Antirock clears with room to spare!

Unread 04-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #165
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! Kind of fun hitting that button for the first time huh.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.