Moabrubi's Rubicon - Page 12 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 825 Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Nice! Kind of fun hitting that button for the first time huh.
Yes it is! I was surprised at that little winch.

I got the wiring 99% done. Right when I was about to put the panel back on the OUT stopped working! . So I need a new switch since something inside broke! Oh well, at least the winch works good!

Moabrubi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #167 of 825 Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 PM
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Yes it is! I was surprised at that little winch.

I got the wiring 99% done. Right when I was about to put the panel back on the OUT stopped working! . So I need a new switch since something inside broke! Oh well, at least the winch works good!
Double check and make sure the underhood wiring for the switch harness didn't come undone. I don't know how yours hooks up and it's funny you say that because mine did the SAME thing. It turned out I pulled a connector loose in my loom while routing the wires, so I had to tear back into the loom and figure it out. I thought it was my switch..... made me nervous because my jeep was stuck in the sucked down position while I figured it out for a while.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gst95dsm is offline  
post #168 of 825 Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Double check and make sure the underhood wiring for the switch harness didn't come undone. I don't know how yours hooks up and it's funny you say that because mine did the SAME thing. It turned out I pulled a connector loose in my loom while routing the wires, so I had to tear back into the loom and figure it out. I thought it was my switch..... made me nervous because my jeep was stuck in the sucked down position while I figured it out for a while.
Yea it's definitely the switch. I jury rigged it so that when I pressed IN it was actually OUT and that worked. The voltage tester confirmed that the out on the switch wasn't working. Also something inside feels broken when I push out. It's weird because it felt and worked fine in that video.

Had the same happen to me with the Jeep sucked down. That was scary .
Moabrubi is offline  
post #169 of 825 Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 AM
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
Just wire it to an aftermarket switch on the dash.

My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
post #170 of 825 Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Just wire it to an aftermarket switch on the dash.
I have one but I like the little switch that came with it. We will see if Warn warranties it
Moabrubi is offline  
post #171 of 825 Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,577
So Warn warrantied my switch, Warn is an awesome company! .

Also, I sold my tires and wheels today! So now I'm going to order my 35's . I'm real picky when it comes to tires and considered them all, but the MTR's appear to have sucky sidewalls and road life, the KM2s run small, and I didn't see any others that caught my eye. So I am going to go with my trusty tire the the Cooper STT. It's got pretty good traction, road life, and strong sidewalls. Funny thing is five 35" tires cost less then my old 32" tires did! It's amazing how wheel size affects the price.

Now these bigger tires mean I need my rear chromos .
Moabrubi is offline  
post #172 of 825 Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 AM
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
I had 33" Cooper stt's not a bad mud tire, was fun with those in the rain on Cleghorn with open diffs. They chunk pretty bad though.
KM2's are pretty close to size for a 35" tires. The MTZ's I had on my Jeep before them were nothing but glorified 33" tires. Not crazy about KM2's but they balance well for street driving, kinda loud, but so are STT's. They are not terribly bad on rocks. MTR's do better there, on some of the rocks MTR's work really well with all the siping on them

My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
post #173 of 825 Old 05-02-2013, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
I had 33" Cooper stt's not a bad mud tire, was fun with those in the rain on Cleghorn with open diffs. They chunk pretty bad though.
KM2's are pretty close to size for a 35" tires. The MTZ's I had on my Jeep before them were nothing but glorified 33" tires. Not crazy about KM2's but they balance well for street driving, kinda loud, but so are STT's. They are not terribly bad on rocks. MTR's do better there, on some of the rocks MTR's work really well with all the siping on them
Only thing that I fear about the MTR's is the road life. I hear some reports of pretty lousy mileage out of them. That and they are more $$ then the STT's.

I thought my STT's did pretty good on the rocks. They do chunk but I have 20k miles on my current set and they have 50% tread. They still drive good and aren't hard. I don't really think they are that loud . For the price I think they are pretty hard to beat, I don't know why they are so unpopular though.
Moabrubi is offline  
post #174 of 825 Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 AM
midnight_f150
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: greenbrier
Posts: 1,476
I think my STT are quite for mud tires! They do chunk but that the only thing I dont like about them. But the rocks at Superlift ORV eat up all brands of tires.
midnight_f150 is offline  
post #175 of 825 Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,577
Has anyone run the Genright belly up? 5/16" alum, crossmember and engine skid. Looks nice but is kinda pricey. Don't know if the engine skid works with stock short arms? Ive never seen or heard of it, I just stumbled across it.

At this point I'm thinking of getting the Rokmen skid even though its not the flattest. Its one of the easiest and cheapest options.
Moabrubi is offline  
post #176 of 825 Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 PM
AngryTJ
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,468
Have you considered nitto or toyo tires. I personally haven't ran either but have heard good things.

Also genright skid is way over priced!

Rokmen is a nice skid but it just sits too low for my liking.

Follow me on Instagram @ Tarantula_TJ


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AngryTJ is offline  
post #177 of 825 Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 PM
janesy86
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beverly
Posts: 1,407
The Rokmen does seem like it hangs a bit low, for a tuck. And you leaning this way because the Savvy UA isn't going to be quick? If so have you called Rokmen and know that its in stock ready to ship? I ask because I don't know how quick they will get it to you... Maybe they are back to normal and all set up in the shop, but when I ordered a Antirock from them recently it took a month to get it to me and they had it in stock.

Not trying to bash them in any way, as they do make great stuff, but with their recent move I have heard of a few others with getting orders in a timely manner.

Sucks you had such issues with the UCF skid too... Bet you just want to get this thing back out on the trails!

03' Rubi: 2" BDS, 1.25" BL/MML, Hylined rollin' on 35" MTR's


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
janesy86 is offline  
post #178 of 825 Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Moabrubi
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Have you considered nitto or toyo tires. I personally haven't ran either but have heard good things.

Also genright skid is way over priced!

Rokmen is a nice skid but it just sits too low for my liking.
Last I checked those tires were really heavy and expensive. Ive never seen them on the trails either.

Yea I priced out the whole Genright setup and it was $1100. Ummmm no thanks.

Rokmen does hang lower, but I really don't know of anyone else who makes a good skid.




Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
The Rokmen does seem like it hangs a bit low, for a tuck. And you leaning this way because the Savvy UA isn't going to be quick? If so have you called Rokmen and know that its in stock ready to ship? I ask because I don't know how quick they will get it to you... Maybe they are back to normal and all set up in the shop, but when I ordered a Antirock from them recently it took a month to get it to me and they had it in stock.

Not trying to bash them in any way, as they do make great stuff, but with their recent move I have heard of a few others with getting orders in a timely manner.

Sucks you had such issues with the UCF skid too... Bet you just want to get this thing back out on the trails!
Im leaning that way because Gerald at Savvy doesent even reply to my emails. I've bought plenty of stuff from him and always drive down to the shop to pick it up so I just want to know if I'm on his backorder list. I guess a quick email saying "Yes you are on the backorder list" and letting me know when I can come get it is too much to ask. I've been waiting all this time and I don't even know if im in line.

Last time I ordered from Rokmen shipping was super fast and the product was high quality. So I am considering them for that reason.

I REALLY wish the UCF skid worked. I would be going wheeling this weekend! :banghead: I seem to be having all kinds of problems with vendors over this stupid skid.












Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Moabrubi is offline  
post #179 of 825 Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 PM
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
Here is something to think about, post from another forum

Well right now you can get 35" MTR's at under 200.00 apiece. So you can't beat that.

I went to The Tire Guy and they gave me a price of 232.00. And goodyear has a rebate going on of 160.00 with on interest for 6 months. He also said he would give me the same price as anyone online. So I said I will be back.

My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
post #180 of 825 Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 PM
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,363
Let me just BLOW your mind here.... The Rough country skid I run is 1/4 thick, comes with the tranny mount adaptor, is 2" deep, well under $300 and is serving me just fine and dandy. It seems a little smaller than most other skids as far as total surface area, but this skid along with an oil pan skid....... done deal.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gst95dsm is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome