MOAB or Bust Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MOAB or Bust Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

MOAB or Bust Build

Ok it is time to start documenting my build. I bought my 06 X last may. It came with a 3" BL and 31's. I know I know, just bear with me. I started buying my parts in Feb. to get ready for EJS 2010. That put me in a time crunch, so Idaho Jeep sugested I call my build "MOAB or Bust".

All parts are bought and sitting in my dads shop with the exception of my rear drive shaft. I cannot order it until I finish everything and know what length I will need, and of course the parts already installed.
A special thanks to my Dad (Howdy), and John (JMOX). Without their help it would have ended in a bust instead of MOAB. Thanks again.

This is going to be a 2 stage build since I could not complete the entire build before EJS.

Parts purchased (I may forget some and have to add as I remember):
1) Metal Cloake: Overline fenders, and 6" flares front and rear powder coated black, (()front aluminum bumper with stinger and mini caps), their rocker system with steps, and a set of their bullet led lights.

2) North Ridge 4X4: (Custom D44 with 35 spline chromoly shafts, disc break kit, 4.88 gears, ARB Locker and Riddler cover), (D30 chromoly shafts, ARB Locker, 4.88 gear set, and Riddler cover), the large ARB pump with air up kit, Cobra remote mount CB, 4' firestick, Litedot led tail lights, Liscense plate relocation bracket with 3rd brakelight, and ORO swaylock, sye kit.

3) 4wheel parts: Procomp rock crawler extreme rims, Smittybuilt XRC 10 winch with synthetic line, hard upper doors, 2.5 gallon air tank kit, 6 black .75" shackles, KC slimline 135w driving lights.

4) Genright: Legend extreme stretch coilover kit, rear antirock style swaybar, belly up skid, 1" MM, 1" BL, Chromoly high steer kit with pass knuckle, steering box skid, Aluminum stretch corner gaurds, EXT gas tank and skid, King 2" remote reservor coilovers.

5)LOD: rear expidition bumper and tire carrier.

6) TSC: Hobart mig welder.

7) Pitbull) 35x12.5x15 radial rockers.
Here is what my baby looked like before the build began (go ahead and laugh)

Redarcher89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I did not have time to document or take to many pictures during the first phase of the build. For the trip to Moab I wanted to get the new D44 under the jeep, the front D30 regeared and the locker and new chromoly shafts installed. I also needed to get the new fenders and flares on so I would have enough clearence to run the new 35's. I also wanted the new bumpers and winch installed. Not to mention installing the arb pump, and the Swaylock swaybar. Since I had the rear axle removed I went ahead and installed the Ext gas tank and skid.
This is a shot of all the parts before we started.

Here are a few pics of the jeep all apart and waiting for the new parts to go on.

here is a pic comparing the 3.73 to 4.88 pinion

Last edited by Redarcher89; 04-22-2010 at 09:30 PM..
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here is what the jeep looked like once I finished the 1st stage of the build and drove it 1300 miles to Moab.

Just kidding. I think everyone can figure out who's jeep that is.

Here is mine.

Last edited by Redarcher89; 04-22-2010 at 10:14 PM..
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to go to Howiepaluza at SMORR next weekend, then I will be starting the next phase of the build. This time I plan on updating it as I go from here on out. I will be pulling the axles back out and striping all the brackets off of the frame and axles to be replaced with the new setup. The plan is to stretch the rear 5 inches, and the front 2 inches. Stay tuned for more to come.

Last edited by Redarcher89; 04-22-2010 at 10:20 PM..
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
apfroggy0408
1982 CJ7 

Looks like this one will be interesting.
apfroggy0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to seeing the progression Steve! With that list of parts, this thing is gonna be one mean machine.
Idaho-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good mi amigo!
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Boy has your list changed! I thought you were doing jk axles and tnt's? Either way, it looks good. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know when you want to get together and wheel.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
XJisTHErightWAY
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Very clean build. keep it coming!
Unread 04-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Boy has your list changed! I thought you were doing jk axles and tnt's? Either way, it looks good. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know when you want to get together and wheel.
Yeah, I decided on the metal cloake for the ability to take them off. Getting the JK axles turned out to be a little harder than I thought. I will eventually go to tons. So far I am very happy with my choices. Plus I didn't want to copy Idaho, and u too much. LOL
Unread 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
MisterO

looks real good i like how it came out... whats plans as far as rocker guards? i see you have none..
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJeep04 View Post
looks real good i like how it came out... whats plans as far as rocker guards? i see you have none..
I have the metal cloake rocker system with steps. I like them for the same reason as the flares. My wife is vertically challenged. LOL. I am waiting till I put the new corners on so I can match up the spacing on the rockers better.
Unread 04-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those pit bull tires look NASTY!
AstroZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #14
njjeep93

looks good, cant wait to watch this one
njjeep93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had a guy at work today tell me he liked the new jeeps. I told him they were nice, but I liked mine. He said he was talking about mine. I laughed and told him that it was the same jeep I had when we worked together last year. He couldn't believe I had changed it that much. Now I guess I better get back to work on it. So Wed I will start on the rocker system. I will post up as I go on it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.