MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #91
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a couple of pics from Greenridge today. Had a few friends that kept bugging me for a jeepin' trip and today was the day. I have a lot better pics that i need to get off my friends camera.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #92
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh damn man, didn't know ya went out. Looks like you had a good time! Jeep looks great as always

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #93
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Oh damn man, didn't know ya went out. Looks like you had a good time! Jeep looks great as always
Haha, yea we just decided to head up there this morning for a random trip. I needed to get offroad again
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #94
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You and me both. I was so desperate the other day I flexed out my jeep in my ditch to "check for bumpstop clearance"

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 06-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #95
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think i have some really great flex pics on my friends camera. Front tire completely stuffed on the left and rear tire completely stuffed on the right. I was hoping they were taken with mine but i only took about 3 pics

Gotta love driveway flexing though. Those bump stops won't check themselves
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #96
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some more pics of greenridge from monday off my friends camera

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #97
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good stuff mike. She flexes nice

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 06-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #98
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Good stuff mike. She flexes nice
what do mean quite? just curious

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #99
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, so here is what i'v been debating over and over again for quite some time now. Probably since i built the front bumper in december

My question is, do i build a traditional swingout tire carrier/bumper for the rear like every other jeep out there, Or.......

try and build something very similar to the T&T customs replacement rear crossmember and fab a custom tub mounted tire carrier.
Pros: Better departure angle, less added weight possibly, and it doesn't look like every other rear bumper on every jeep going down the road.

Cons: Will definitely be a little harder to fabricate, Have to figure out how to mount the gas tank skid as well as the body mounts since the stock rear crossmember serves both those purposes.

T&T replacement crossmember

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #100
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

For the tire carrier i have several ideas in mind. Going off of the design from Or-Fab and Trek tire carriers i would plate the hinge area of the swingout and then sandwich the tub with a bracket inside that would attach to the roll bar, strengthening the hinge area. Same deal for the latch on the other side of the tub.

Here are some pics of the ORF tire carrier. For mine i would not leave space for gerry cans. My goal is to move the spare up and in close to the tub and with a replacement crossmember bumper and have very little overhang in the rear. Better departure angle and a cleaner looking rear end

Let me know what you all think might look best as i just can't make up my mind. One is certainly easier to fabricate but I'm up for a challenge as well
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #101
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Something similar to the T&T one would look nice, can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Good looking Jeep btw.
[COLOR="darkgreen"]My Build:[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/dirty-jeep-boy-tj-build-w-pics-1054939/"]Dirty Jeep Boy -TJ Build w/ Pics[/URL]
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
DirtyJeepBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #102
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeepBoy View Post
Something similar to the T&T one would look nice, can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Good looking Jeep btw.

Thanks

Yea, i'm still throwing ideas around in my head. I wish i knew someone with the T&T so i could really take a look at it and check a few things out. Figuring out the mount for the GTS and body mounts is the only thing i'm worried about.

Other thing I could do is just build a bumper flush to the existing crossmember. That would only hang 2" farther out. I think I might still build the tub mounted carrier regardless

Family vacation next week but I'm hoping to get started on this project in the next couple weeks. We'll see what happens
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #103
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Family vacation next week but I'm hoping to get started on this project in the next couple weeks. We'll see what happens
Well this is what happened.... I apologize for the long story/rant

Some good and some bad. So the day before i leave for vacation all last week, my Silverado starts squealing like crazy on my way back home from work. I suspected brakes but had no time to mess with them until after vacation. Got back yesterday after a relaxing week and then today got to work. Sure enough, rear pads were wearing funny due to bad slides and pads and rotors needed to be replaced.

This is where my bad luck starts I'v got the rear brakes torn apart on my truck and figure i'll take the jeep out to pick up parts. I get about half way to the auto parts store and come to a stop light. When i leave the stop light my jeep was sluggish and felt like it took a little more pedal to get moving. Now i'm trying to figure out whats up with my jeep. Then i start smelling what smells like burning brakes or clutch as i pull into the store and get out. Check around underneath the jeep but nothing catastrophic or anything. Get the brakes for my truck and head home. On the way as i approach a stop light it turns yellow and i had to brake relatively hard to make the stop, Jeep pulled so hard to the right it looked like i was changing lanes and i had a pretty good oh **** moment. Trying to repair the brakes on my truck and now my jeeps brakes are messed up, WTF

Got home taking it slow and being careful with the brakes, took my temp. gun and checked my brakes. Sure enough, front drivers side rotor maxed out my heat gun at something over 500* while the rest where a mere 140*. My guess is the caliper piston froze up and started dragging at that first stop light and once it heated up i lost braking performance on the left, causing the scary pull to the right feeling. Pads and rotors are roughly 5,000 miles old as they were new when i purchased the jeep. Anyway, i'll be pulling my brakes apart on the jeep too in the next couple days. Bummed to be dumping money into brakes unexpectedly on BOTH my vehicles.

Time for the Good
I ordered a Currie Anti-rock for the front
also the brake controller and axle straps i needed to tow the jeep on the trailer.

This was ofcoarse hours before i found out my jeep's brakes had a problem too. I'll have to see what it turns out i need for the jeep when i have some time to work on it. Right now it feels like my wallet has been punched in the gut

I also was planning on making some measurements and ordering some steel for my rear bumper/crossmember this weekend but I'll wait till i investigate the jeep's current issue before spending more money.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 07-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #104
jeepdog5
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey man, just read through your build. really nice. the aussie install was sweet; definitely learned a lot.
I'm over in Leesburg. If you ever head over this way hit me up. I'm trying to get a Crozet trip planned sometime this summer.
jeepdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #105
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdog5 View Post
Hey man, just read through your build. really nice. the aussie install was sweet; definitely learned a lot.
I'm over in Leesburg. If you ever head over this way hit me up. I'm trying to get a Crozet trip planned sometime this summer.
Thanks man, I'm glad the aussie install could help someone
This is actually the first i'v heard of Crozet. Just did a quick search and it looks like a pretty nice park. I may be interested to go if you put a trip together so let me know.

As for my Jeep,
about to go out in the garage and start pulling the front brakes apart. I'm hoping it's just a quick (cheap) fix...
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.