MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 67 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #991
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

No worries Brad, I needed another welding project! My welder has been unplugged for a couple months since the cage was finished and junk is beginning to pile up around it. I'm planning a lot more fab work soon though after this end of June wheeling trip.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #992
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Freshened up the D30 a little today. Repainted the axle housing and the diff cover. Also straightened up my passenger UCA mount and reinforced it a little as it looked like it was starting to get tweaked slightly.

New U-joints came and I installed those.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #993
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice. i will go ahead and pull the front axle when i pull the back and work on it also and to the same thing with the upper mounts.
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #994
mikes_muse

For the upper mount on my other jeep's front axle, I welded in a square piece of tubing, like 1.5"x1.5" or whatever fits in the mount nice and tight. Then I did as you have and welded a piece on the front too. I figured there would be no way for it to cave in at all, it had already started to before I decided to beef it up, with the square tube in there to keep it shaped.
mikes_muse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #995
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Very nice. i will go ahead and pull the front axle when i pull the back and work on it also and to the same thing with the upper mounts.
Sounds good man. I'v had the axles out from under my jeep so much it almost just seems like routine maintenance . I didn't even need to pull it this time but I didn't feel like drilling and tapping the spring pads under the jeep and it only takes like a half hour with air tools to have the entire axle out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_muse View Post
For the upper mount on my other jeep's front axle, I welded in a square piece of tubing, like 1.5"x1.5" or whatever fits in the mount nice and tight. Then I did as you have and welded a piece on the front too. I figured there would be no way for it to cave in at all, it had already started to before I decided to beef it up, with the square tube in there to keep it shaped.
Yea, that's the same thing that was happening with mine. It had started to partially collapse on the front side. So I spread it back apart and welded that piece of 3/16 in there, should keep it from happening again and give the mount a little more strength.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #996
mikes_muse

Yeah, mine had tacoed in pretty good. I wasn't sure it would bend back right, but it worked like a champ. You should be good to go.
mikes_muse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #997
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

While I'm waiting for things to finish up the front, I got to work on relocating the rear spring perches and swapping the 4" Fabtech springs for the 2.5" RC coils I have.

RC 2.5" on the left, Fabtech 4" on the right. Like I'v heard, the RC coil is every bit as long as the 4" coil extended.

Removed the coil buckets and cleaned up the frame

Nice good contact with the bump pad

The more I dig into the suspension and modify/replace the Fabtech lift I originally purchased 3 years ago, the more I regret wasting the money on it. When I started working on the coil bucket relocation I came to discover that the shocks that came with the kit are reaching full compression before the bump stops that came with the kit make contact with the bump pad. I'd like to know what they were thinking when they designed the kit

I was actually hoping to remove some bump in the rear because I have tons of room in the wheel well for more stuff but my current shocks are too long. They are 25" extended, 16" collapsed, 9" stroke. For now I'm just going to have to run it as-is since I'm not ordering new shocks till I get the 4 link finished, outboard and figure out what shocks I want for that. I thought about relocating shock mounts or something to get this to work but it's not worth the time since I'll be re-doing the suspension very soon anyway...

With the shocks at full compression, bumps still 1/4-3/8" from even making contact

Still room for more stuff at bump

Whatever, I got both sides done and springs in. This isn't ride height but with some weight on the springs things look good Looking at that exhaust makes me feel like chopping it off before the rocks tear it off...

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #998
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hoping to have the jeep back on all 4 tires by sometime tomorrow
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #999
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Those springs look perrty! You will like RC's progressive 2.5" coils a lot! They are very flexy / long and provide a really smooth ride on and off road fo sho.

The only complaint I had was with the front 2.5" coils not holding true to 2.5" of lift after settling and adding a heavy front bumper. The rears will gain you about 3" of lift and the fronts about 2". I swapped my fronts for RC 4" coils and now my jeep sits perfectly level.

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #1000
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
The rears will gain you about 3" of lift
I'm hoping for right around 3" in the rear so thats good. I only bought RC coils for the rear. I have 3" BDS coils I'm going to try in the front and see where that puts me.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #1001
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What did you used to move the coils? Grinder, dremel and such? Im doing this while the axle is out this weekend.
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #1002
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
What did you used to move the coils? Grinder, dremel and such? Im doing this while the axle is out this weekend.
Yea pretty much. I cut the welds I could reach and then smacked the mount with a BFH to break the remaining welds. Then I modified the coil bucket to get them to fit the way I wanted and welded them right back on
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #1003
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just built these beefy things

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #1004
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good work on those control arms!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #1005
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Want to make me a pair?

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.