MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #76
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Re-attached the throttle body, bracket, linkage and throttle return spring next. Interesting thing I found when disassembling was that my secondary throttle return spring wasn't even hooked up. I bent the one end into more of a hook shape and attached it onto the bracket. This did make a slight difference in the feel of my accelerator pedal and i also feel better knowing the back-up throttle return spring is there just in case lol

Routed the outer sleeve for the hand throttle cable through a unused grommet in my firewall that exits above the accelerator pedal under the dash.

Then down under the center console and up through the shift boot.

Here is the hand throttle installed on the shifter. I tried several different positions until i found one i think works best for me. I can work the hand throttle with one finger and it's easily reachable when sitting back in the drivers seat with the transmission in 1st (what i'll be in most of the time when using it)

Last step is to feed the cable through the hand throttle all the way out to the throttle body. Here, the cable loops around the throttle pivot, where the cruise control would hook up if i had one, and crimped shut using one of the supplied aluminum cable crimps. A small clip keeps it from working it's way off and leaves it easily removable if you don't want it hooked up while your on the road.

Thats pretty much all there is to it. Pretty cool little mod that didn't take more than a couple of hours. Looking back i probably could have put something together the same as the RE kit with just a few parts from a bicycle shop. I'v seen several different write ups using bike shifters/derailers that are pretty much the exact same thing as this kit but for $25 for the whole kit i was almost just too lazy to hunt down the parts

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #77
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also gave the jeep a much needed tune up today. When i started tearing into the hand throttle install that turned into cleaning the throttle body and IAC,TPS, etc. While i had the air box and rest of the intake off I cleaned it all out really well and grabbed a new air filter for it. Decided to track down the slight miss I'v been getting so i pulled the distributor cap off and cleaned the cap and rotor contacts.

Then i pulled the spark plugs. Found the reason for my hesitation and slight miss when accelerating. Plugs were worn pretty badly. I could tell immediately that the gap was way off. 3 of the 4 read a gap around .050-.055 and 1 was at .060. Plug gap is suppose to be .035 btw

So, went to wally world and picked up the Autolite AP985's (single platinum) Jerry B recommends for the older 2.5 and 4.0 with a distributor ignition. Checked the gaps to make sure they were all .035 and installed them. Cleaned up and reinstalled the plug wires with some dielectric grease on all connections. Fired her up and took her for a spin. Big difference!! Should have done that a long time ago. Jeep is running better than ever and no more hesitation when accelerating
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #78
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have suggestions for a good CB setup?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #79
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For a good setup to start with go to rightchannelradios.com and look at the Jeep offroad CB packages they have. That's where I got mine, pretty damn good and it comes with all the stuff you need to make it work and a swr meter to tune it. All depends on how much you wanna spend.

If you do go that route though, have them switch the wilson out for a firestik.

My setup is a Uniden 520xl pro with a 3' Firestik and I was talkin to a guy outside the beltway when I was sittin in my driveway. It's compact and doesn't really get in the way. I'm 6'3 and my legs don't touch it when driving.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #80
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks zach. I checked out yours and it's definitely on my list. I'm willing to spend a little for a good setup. If you don't mind me asking, about what did you spend shipped to your door for everything after it was all said and done?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 05-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #81
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I spent about 150 for everything shipped to my door. But I also included a 15-20 dollar PA to the mix so that's why it was around 150. Great company though, awesome CS.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 05-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #82
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
I spent about 150 for everything shipped to my door. But I also included a 15-20 dollar PA to the mix so that's why it was around 150. Great company though, awesome CS.
Thats not bad at all. I'll have to see if they will swap the firestick into the package.

Anyone else have suggestions or would recommend other models? (Cobra vs. Uniden vs. ____) I don't know much about CB radios but would like a good quality setup. What are some useful features to have over the basic functions?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #83
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A few new pics from today after washing and waxing. The old '97 paint still shines up well

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #84
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

wish i could get my top down. Thinking about taking my hi lift roll bar mounts off so i can do so.

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #85
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
wish i could get my top down. Thinking about taking my hi lift roll bar mounts off so i can do so.
Unbolt at the roll bar a lift straight off Mine's stored in the back of the garage somewhere till winter lol
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #86
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A pic for today's purchase. Had to get the jeep in the picture (and test fit it)

Now i just need to sell my old trailer to make up for what i spent today. Any Maryland guys know of someone that might be interested in the white 5x10 enclosed trailer in the background?

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #87
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

nice trailer im looking for a tandem trailer myself for the Jeep (what size is that), anyway you need to clean that sick 4 banger engine compartment, dirty my friend.

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #88
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beichler01 View Post
nice trailer im looking for a tandem trailer myself for the Jeep (what size is that), anyway you need to clean that sick 4 banger engine compartment, dirty my friend.
Haha, I literally cleaned it the next day after I uploaded those pics because i realized just how dirty it was

Trailer is a 16'x82" tandem, 7,000lb with one brake axle. It'll be nice to have a larger trailer for all the stuff i use it for. I needed something bigger for work and hauling junk so having the ability to tow the jeep is really just a plus.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #89
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

dude your jeep is sooooo clean for a 97, can hardly tell that you wheel it!

You down for Greenridge on saturday?

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #90
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
dude your jeep is sooooo clean for a 97, can hardly tell that you wheel it!
Thanks Zach, I guess you could say I'm OCD about detailing my vehicles You've seen how dirty i get it but the next day I start cleaning and won't stop till it's spotless I think of it more as post trip maintenance because i can go over everything, check for damage or worn parts, ect.

Quote:
You down for Greenridge on saturday?
Man, I really wish i could but i'v gotta work saturday I'm going to try an be at the frederick show sunday though
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.