MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #766
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used 7 cans just on my hood alone.

Unread 03-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #767
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari View Post
Mike stop into tractor supply and get some Valscar tractor paint in which ever color you paint, I bought a gallon of black. Then get an el-cheapo paint gun (TSC or Walmart). It will work out alot cheaper than buying cans and I found that paint is very forgiving and doesn't create a lot of runs.
I'v thought about doing that. I actually have a pretty decent craftsman spray gun (well I think it's pretty decent but I haven't ever used it). It can't be much worse than a el-cheapo spray gun from Walmart right?

Do you remember what a gallon of black cost you Mike?
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #768
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use some much paint on my stuff its insane. I think buying it in bulk(Gallons) and a sprayer would save me ALOT of money.
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #769
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't remember, I want to say like $30 but I could be completely wrong. I want to say you could even get away with a qaurt because I had a ton left over. Get some thinner too so you can thin it out to spray. I used either a 50/50 or 25/75 ratio of thinner to paint. I use it on pretty much all the cages and crap I build now. They sell it by the can as well to make touch ups and painting the underside of stuff easy if the gun can't get to it.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #770
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #771
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't remember, I want to say like $30 but I could be completely wrong. I want to say you could even get away with a qaurt because I had a ton left over. Get some thinner too so you can thin it out to spray. I used either a 50/50 or 25/75 ratio of thinner to paint. I use it on pretty much all the cages and crap I build now. They sell it by the can as well to make touch ups and painting the underside of stuff easy if the gun can't get to it.
Okay. I'm going to look into it. Do you know if they sell satin black? or is just gloss?

I don't think my cage would look bad in gloss but I want my corners and stuff to match the bumpers, rockers, and flares that are already satin black. I figured the cage would look good in satin black too.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #772
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah they have tons of colors.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #773
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah they have tons of colors.
Thanks Mike. I'll have to go shopping soon for painting supplies.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #774
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remember, that girl doesn't come with the bulk buy of paint.
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #775
Blue02

Nice build, I enjoyed the read and I will be crawling the thread. You have me thinking, along with everyone else about learning to weld You're pretty close too (live in Northern VA and grew up in Harford County, MD), maybe have you help me out with a mod I wanna do to mine and teach me in the process. Keep it up man!
Blue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #776
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the lack of updates and pictures the last few days guys. Had some family issues come up over the weekend but all is good now. I have been getting some work done on the jeep and spent today getting some stuff finished.

A-pillar tie-ins are done

I'm going to flip the sandwich plate bolts around during final installation so they are not as vulnerable to the rock.

Passenger side

Removed the tailgate and started mocking up the armor and installing nutserts, drilling holes, ect.

Looks like I'll need to trim some more of the tub for my LED tail lights to fit again.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #777
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice man, its coming together, you still down for Big dogs at the end of April?
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #778
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also made the harness bars for the shoulder harnesses.

The Corbeau 4 point harnesses are universal fit for many vehicles and once I started mocking them up I realized there was going to be a issue with the length of the shoulder belts. They are designed to be long enough so that anyone installing these belts into their car can bolt the harness down to the C-pillar or rear deck behind the back seat. The way Corbeau stitches the harness to the 3 bar slide gives you very limited adjustability and the length just wasn't going to work for my application. So looking around I came up with a solution.

Here is the belt before modification. The belt goes through the 3 bar slide, through the mounting point and then is stitched to the 3 bar slide. This only allows you to have super long shoulder belts or long shoulder belts

Now, I looked at how the majority of racing harnesses are done and read Billavista's tech article on harnesses and decided I can easily convert this harness into a wrap around with a 3 bar slide that would better suit my needs (short shoulder belts mounted directly behind the seats)

Cut the loop off that's stitched to the 3 bar slide and singe the end of the belt to keep it from fraying.

Belt goes up and over the middle bar and back down through the 3 bar slide.

I'll use the bolt on piece for now but this is where it will wrap around my harness bar. So around the bar and then back up and through the 3 bar slide

Then back down through the 3 bar slide

Then the wrap back over the 3 bar slide and tucked back through it.

Then pulled tight. This is how it should look. From my reading I found that it is also important to keep the 3 bar slide as close to the harness bar as possible. This allows complete adjustability of the harness and now I can use it the way I planned to mount it in the first place.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #779
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Nice man, its coming together, you still down for Big dogs at the end of April?
Possibly, I can't say for sure yet. Are you still thinking about doing the Crozet run?

I'm thinking that I'm going to try and wrap up the cage tomorrow, paint everything wednesday and then get the Jeep back into wheeling shape by this weekend. I know I'm not going to be able to complete my list of everything but I just want to get the cage done now and the Jeep back together. I'm starting to feel like I have too many little projects going all at the same time and I really just need to finish the one I started first (the cage) and the armor. I can knock out the rest another time and maybe after some wheeling lol. I'm starting to get that itch
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #780
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So nice!

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.