MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #481
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiser3 View Post
But for a factory warranty to be voided, they have to prove that the breakage was directly due to any modifications that you've done to the jeep. But I understand that if people are unknowledgeable and/or unwilling to argue a point with a dealership, than this could be a problem as well. IDK, I look at the cost of some of the **** that gets done to my jeep, like changing diff fluid, ****ers charged me ~300 dollars to change my front and rear diff fluid... I could have done that **** for less than $100. I guess my desire to fabricate my own **** as well as do all my own work is based both in a desire to learn about my jeep, and not pay someone else an assload of money to do simple tasks.
In the sense of JK vs. TJ DIY'ers, it's easy.....most JK owners are noobs, most of whom have more dollars than sense. Bolting on parts is hard enough, let alone thinking past that point. Let's be honest, most people are brought up thinking that anything to do with cars should be "left to the pros." In reality, that's a bunch of crap and 99% of the stuff can be done with hand tools and cost MUCH less than the "pros" would charge. Having a true understanding about how the systems in our vehicles works takes a little time and a desire to learn and save money. Unfortunately, that's not too common nowadays. That may be a bit harsh but it's true and evident. There are some solid JKers on here, though and you seem like one of them.

Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #482
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Today's progress...

Rolled the jeep outside. Looking pretty cool with the chop top and single hoop haha

Was able to duplicate the bends on both c-pillars almost perfectly. Loving this Pro-tools bender and Bend-tech software makes it easy.

New saw cutting tube like butter

Started working on fitting one side

Both sides fitted and just sitting in place. still want to work on the fit a little before I tack them in.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #483
65th
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good
Unread 01-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #484
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65th View Post
Looks good
Thanks

It's coming together. Although slower than I would like it to but I don't want to rush to get something like this finished. I'd rather it take months if the quality can be better. At my current rate, I measure and check about 20 times before I make a cut or bend, and then grind a little, check the fit, grind some more, etc. etc...

I think it will pay off though. Plus I only have about 4-5 inches of waste at the moment which is good since DOM isn't cheap.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #485
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good man. I really like the C pillars. and btw 4-5 inches of waste isn't to bad at all. Keep up the good work!
Unread 01-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #486
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's gonna look sick when it's done. The slant cage look on TJs is boss.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #487
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Had no idea you were going to do a fast-back cage. That's gonna look saweeet!
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #488
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Looking good man. I really like the C pillars. and btw 4-5 inches of waste isn't to bad at all. Keep up the good work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
That's gonna look sick when it's done. The slant cage look on TJs is boss.
Thanks fellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Had no idea you were going to do a fast-back cage. That's gonna look saweeet!
Well...

I was planning to do something close to this. This is Gerald's (Savvy) 2003 and I like the line of the cage. That was the plan till today.

Now I'm considering doing something like this but slightly different with my own twist.

So, I guess it comes down to should I keep it fastback like it is now and just add the diagonals or bump it out like the first pic? Space is not an issue. I'm not planning to run a backseat or anything. I also believe both designs are strong structually. I'd like to hear your guys input

I kinda like the fastback look now over my original design...

Edit: I'm only talking about the C-pillar design/bracing, not the rest of those cage designs. I changed the pics to some better ones to show what I'm talking about.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #489
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I like the look of the first one because it is clean and balanced. But the second one is going to suit you a little better. Nothing will penetrate that one... Need more pictures man can't wait
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #490
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I definitely like the fast-back better. It has a nice retro look to it.
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #491
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiser3 View Post
So after reading this build thread as well as flatlander's and jbennett and a few others, I notice a lot more custom work going on with TJs than with any of the JK builds that I've been able to find. Is there a reason for this that i'm missing? I just don't understand why almost everything you see done to a JK is bolt on and purchased... Are there any thoughts to this?
I think it's partially what Imped said, and also the fact that they're just too new at this time.

Just 3 years ago when I joined JF, there was nowhere near this much awesome fab work going on in TJs.

JKs are at the most 4 years old now... so they have just started getting out of their warranties. They still cost quite a bit, and will until the next Jeep revision comes out.

Also it really doesn't help that JKs have so many creature comforts and electronic gizmos(read: TPMS, ABS, traction control, etc) that it takes that much more work to make custom modifications -not- interfere with that crap.

And also, JKs come with a horrible motor(torque-wise... not dependability wise), so if you want a badass JK, you had BETTER plan on swapping out the engine... which is even more money. The 4.0 is plenty fine when geared right.

JKs don't come with a 4cyl because the V6 is slow enough.

I think those are primary contributing factors.

edit: If I got my hands on a JK I would void so much warrantay it would be silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #492
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
edit: If I got my hands on a JK I would void so much warrantay it would be silly.
Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
I definitely like the fast-back better. It has a nice retro look to it.
Quote:
I like the look of the first one because it is clean and balanced. But the second one is going to suit you a little better. Nothing will penetrate that one... Need more pictures man can't wait
Well that's one for keeping the lines of the fastback and kind of one vote for the other design (but maybe fastback because it might "suit [me] better" lol )

Any other opinions or suggestions from you guys? I appreciate input so far
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #493
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since you already started with the same b pillar as the second one.. stay on that route. The more you become familar with the tube bending you might start adding even more supports much like the second one..

Seeing this is tempting me to get a bender myself
Unread 01-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #494
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Since you already started with the same b pillar as the second one.. stay on that route. The more you become familar with the tube bending you might start adding even more supports much like the second one..

Seeing this is tempting me to get a bender myself
Basically I'm just looking at the C pillar designs on those two cages. I am definitely adding a bunch more structural supports throughout the entire cage (I'm a little less than 20ft into the 100ft of DOM I bought ) But I also see what your saying since it might look different being that the one is built A/C-pillar vs. the traditional B-pillar. I personally think the bent B-pillar is stronger which is why I went that direction. Many will argue that either design is strong. I guess it's personal preference really.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #495
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you ever plan on having rear passengers again... If you had CAD you could make different designs. Only access i have to it is at would, and I'm not allowed to do jeep stuff anymore

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.