MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 305 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #4561
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

duc202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #4562
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 12-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #4563
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Man I love the way that Jeep looks, making a new bumper?
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #4564
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks clean! Sending you mine

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #4565
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc202 View Post
sick Bike
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #4566
84jeepcj7rock

Jeep is looking great! I'm curious, do you have any bump steer? Your drag link looks steep from that angle. Does the ram assist help keep that to a minimum?
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #4567
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobes View Post
Man I love the way that Jeep looks, making a new bumper?
You can say that I actually never even got around to finishing the bumper last winter. I went ahead and chopped the front tube off because I want to move it forward about 2" and rotate the steering box a bit to fix some issues with my intermediate shaft clearing the frame. Once all that's taken care of I'll get the winch mounted and finish out the front tube work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
sick Bike
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
Jeep is looking great! I'm curious, do you have any bump steer? Your drag link looks steep from that angle. Does the ram assist help keep that to a minimum?
The steepness of the drag link has nothing to do with bump steer. As long as the drag link and track bar are identical lengths and perfectly parallel to one another there won't be any bump steer.

However, pay zero attention to my steering setup in the above pictures. I cut the steering box mount and rotated the steering box which misaligned my drag link and track bar. The Jeep is also sitting roughly 2" higher all around at the moment because I pulled everything from the interior, transmission, transfer case, fuel cell, seats, ect and the extra height is making the angles look much worse than they were.

Moving the steering box around means I will most likely be re-doing the entire draglink and track bar setup but here are some pictures of how it was setup. There was never bump steer because of identical length track bar and drag link and mounted at exactly the same angle.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #4568
84jeepcj7rock

I agree that having equal length and angle trac bar and drag links helps minimize issues but it will still push the entire axle to the passenger side during compression. Now that I think about it more, I guess it doesn't matter. If it were perfectly flat, the axle would move to the driver side during compression or droop.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #4569
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree that having equal length and angle trac bar and drag links helps minimize issues but it will still push the entire axle to the passenger side during compression. Now that I think about it more, I guess it doesn't matter. If it were perfectly flat, the axle would move to the driver side during compression or droop.
As long as the track bar pushes the entire axle the same as the drag link would push the knuckle throughout the suspension travel (same length and parallel), bump steer is non existent. If the angles are really steep and the axle shifts side to side a lot it can cause handling issues but it wouldn't be bump steer technically. I haven't really noticed any strange handling with my setup like it is but while I'm moving things anyway I may try to get mine a little bit flatter at ride height if I can. With 7.5-8" of up travel it's tough to get things flat at ride height and still clear each other at full bump. At full bump right now my drag link and track bar angle very slightly the other direction believe it or not.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 12-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #4570
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

love that last picture
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #4571
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What did you put on the bottom edge of the hood? I just cut mine at that line last week and I've already cut myself twice on it.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #4572
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj
What did you put on the bottom edge of the hood? I just cut mine at that line last week and I've already cut myself twice on it.
Automotive door edge trim. You should be able to find it at most auto parts store chains. I picked mine up at a pep boys or advance auto out in Colorado last year.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #4573
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"Bump steer" is a result of differing arcs between the track bar and drag link. As long as the links travel in the same arcs, there will be no perceived bump steer, regardless of the operating angles of said links.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #4574
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Hmm, that sounds interesting. I don't know if I can swing a huge western journey again next year but I will say that I've been eyeing the Dirt Riot race at Crandon, WI August 2-3, 2014. Looks like it might be a pretty cool event and my girlfriend has family about an hour from the race in Wisconsin. Not sure if that works out with the late August trip you are talking about but maybe we could figure something out where I do a little racing and then some wheeling in the nearby states before heading back East.
From Wisconsin to South Dakota isn't that bad a stretch. I am not set on dates yet, since I haven't bid my vacation weeks yet. We can do some research on trails in the black hills. Can always try to hook up with some Colorado Jeepers on the way home to hit Carnage canyon and the trail near it. It's been quite some time since a big road trip. Have to research a bit, but looks like under 1300 miles and on the way back Colorado isn't to hard to hit up
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #4575
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
we figure something out where I do a little racing and then some wheeling in the nearby states before heading back East.

I'm quoting this for future reference .
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.