MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 02-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #31
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinatj906 View Post
how do you like the pro comp mts? its on my list of tires im considering getting
They seem to be doing alright. I havn't been stuck yet but i have not done any serious wheeling with them. It's hard to say because i'v only put about 3,000 miles on them but they appear to be wearing pretty quickly. I don't mind as the deal i got on them was great. I got them during procomps buy 3 get 1 free deal and also got 20% off on the wheels and tires so i payed very little for 4 with black steelies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ATony View Post
Nice Jeep, top notch welds too.Nice job.
Thanks man! Means a lot as those where my first projects. I'm looking forward to making some pretty cool things for my jeep

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #32
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well the locker didnt come in the mail this weekend but we did get close to 30 inches of snow here in MD Wheeled in it all day saturday and got a few pics!

Also fedex should be delivering my locker tomorrow afternoon so i'm hoping to have it installed sometime friday or saturday. I know it won't be ideal for the snowy conditions we've been getting lately but it can't be to bad

There also calling for around 8-12 inches tomorrow night now, on top of what we already have!

Snow wheelin pics

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 02-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #33
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well saturday i finally got around to installing my Aussie locker in the D30. Install went pretty smoothly and i didn't encounter any significant problems other than it being frickin' cold in my garage The little electric heater i have barely helps so i'm really hoping spring is right around the corner

Here is my step-by-step of the Aussie install. I took a lot of pics while i was doing it and figured i'd just put them all together into a little write-up. I apologize if some of the pics came out a little blury. My camera was acting a little funny and lighting wasn't all that good

First step is to raise and support the front of the Jeep and pull the tires off.

Next I pulled the drivers side TRE loose from the steering knuckle to allow better access to the D30 housing when pulling the carrier. Since i have 4.88 gears, the cross shaft will not clear the ring gear. So, i must pull the carrier and remove the ring gear to remove the spider gears and install the aussie locker. To do this, remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the TRE ball stud. I like to tread an old nut on almost flush with the stud and then tap on that carefully with a hammer to knock the joint loose and avoid damaging the threads. A tie rod end/ball joint separator would work better.

Time to drain the fluid and remove the cover. Remove all the cover bolts leaving the very top one loosely in place. Now, with a drain pan placed underneath, pry the cover open at the bottom and let the fluid drain into the pan

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 02-15-2010 at 09:15 PM..
Unread 02-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #34
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Once thats mostly drained you can go ahead and remove the cover completely and set it aside. Now onto pulling the axle shafts. First order of business is to remove the 2 bolts retaining the brake calipers and then zip tie the calipers to the frame, up out of your way. Then there are 3 bolts on each knuckle holding the unit bearing and axle shaft in place. They are 1/2" 12 point bolts and you can't miss them. Once you remove them your axle shafts and unit bearings should be free to come out but may take a little persuasion with a mallet if they have been stuck in there for awhile (mine were pretty stuck but i eventually freed them up with a few carefully placed blows). You can then pull the short shaft on the driver side

and the long shaft on the passenger side

Now its time to pull the carrier. First thing to do is to mark your bearing caps with a paint marker so you know which side is right and left and which way is top and bottom. You do not want to mix up the orientation of the carrier bearing caps as they are machined to fit the housing one way.

With them marked you can remove the caps and set them safely on a clean rag out of the way. This leaves you with the carrier held in by carrier bearing pre load alone.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 02-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #35
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Now you can remove the carrier. One way you can do this is to place a rag between the pinion and the ring gear and turn the yoke with a wrench forcing the carrier out. You can also carefully pry the carrier out making sure to use a rag or something so you don't mar up the housing gasket surface. It's important to keep a hand on the carrier when doing either because you absolutely do not want to have the carrier and ring gear fall out onto the hard concrete or whatever surface your working on, possibly damaging the carrier bearings, ring gear or carrier. Also very important is to not allow the carrier bearing races fall out onto the floor becoming damaged or mixed up (keep track of which side is which so you can install them with the same bearing they came off of).

Now is a good time to go ahead and clean up the housing of old gasket, gunk and grease. I like to try and keep everything i'm working on clean as possible and i can also go over everything visually to check for any damage.

Next step is to remove the ring gear from the carrier. Use your paint pen or sharpie and mark the orientation of the ring gear to the carrier so that they can be reinstalled in the exact same position. Then you can secure the carrier to your bench top and remove the ring gear bolts

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 02-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #36
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Now that the ring gear is finally out of the way you can remove the cross shaft and pull out the stock spider gears. On the D30 there is a small roll pin holding the cross shaft in place. Tap it out through the hole with an appropriate sized punch. Then tap out the cross shaft and remove the spider gears. There is thrust washers on the backs of each of the spider gears and side gears. The thrust washers on the side gears will be re-used with the aussie locker, so pull those off and set them aside.

Now, with a clean work space and the carrier cleaned up, lay out the parts for the aussie locker. Including the 2 thrust washers from the stock side gears (provided they are in good condition).

Exploded view of the Aussie locker (minus the springs)

Now, begin by placing a thrust washer on each of the side gears for the aussie and put them into the carrier

Following the directions that come with your locker, continue installing the parts of your locker into your carrier. They recommend using some heavy axle grease to hold the small pins in place as you insert the pieces into the carrier.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 02-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #37
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

last parts of the Aussie locker to go in are the springs. I found that a small flat head screw driver worked best for finessing the springs into place (be careful not to loose them).

You can now rotate the aussie so that you can reinstall the cross shaft. Then drive the roll pin in to hold the cross shaft in place

Installation of the Aussie locker into the carrier is now complete

Now you can reinstall the ring gear. Hopefully you marked the orientation of the ring gear to the carrier before removing it. Make sure its back in place and seated properly before evenly torquing the ring gear bolts to spec in a star pattern (use some red loctite here).

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 02-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #38
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Now, place the carrier bearing races back on the bearing making sure they are on the bearing they came off of (hopefully you didn't mix up the left and right cap). With the carrier squarely in the housing, gently tap the carrier back into place with a rubber mallet. Don't try to beat one side in and then the other. You don't want to damage the bearings or the housing so make sure its lined up correctly and don't just whale on it.

Once you've got the carrier back in the housing reinstall the bearing caps the same way they came out. evenly torque them down to spec. Make sure everything is clean and then clean it all again. You don't want to introduce dirt and/or debris into the bearings or gears. I also just felt the back lash just to make sure nothing screwy happened. Still felt good (very slight movement between the ring and pinion gears). If you were careful there is no reason your gear setup should have changed at all and you should be good to go

Next you can reinstall the axle shafts/ unit bearings. Carefully slide the axle shafts into the housing as to not damage the inner axle seals. You may have to rotate the shaft a hair to get it to slide into the splined portion of the new Aussie locker. Torque your hubs to spec.

Now you can reinstall your rotors and brake calipers. Make sure to hit everything with brake cleaner to clean off any grease.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 02-15-2010 at 01:06 AM..
Unread 02-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #39
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

On to the final steps. With the cover and housing mating surfaces cleaned really well, apply a continuous bead of RTV gasket sealant to the differential cover. Make sure you fully encircle each bolt hole or you may have a leak around one of the cover bolts.

Re-install the differential cover being careful not to over-torque the cover bolts. They just need to be snug (roughly 20 ft-lbs) and you do not want to squeeze out all the silicone sealant. Then i like to let this set up overnight and refill with your flavor of gear oil in the morning.

You can reinstall your TRE, torquing the castle nut to 55 ft-lb and reinsert the cotter pin to hold it in place.

Now your almost done. Reinstall your tires and then remove a jack stand from one side of the axle and lower one tire on the ground. with your transfer case in 2wd and one tire on the ground, rotate the tire in the air by hand. If the Aussie locker is disengaging properly you will be able to turn the tire in the air and hear the locker ratcheting as you turn it.

If it disengages Congrats! You have properly assembled the locker Now you can enjoy extreme amounts of traction and the ability to get into a lot more trouble with your Jeep
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #40
J-B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Spammer!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/e...ammy-j-935630/
J-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #41
cpoulos2

Those welds you made look great. Your jeep reminds me of my first tj. It was the same red as yours and i put a 4" skyjacker lift on it. The lift was red and really popped. I had it all chromed out though and never did more than trail ride. The tj i got now is gonna be strictly off road. Great looking jeep you got tho
cpoulos2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #42
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoulos2 View Post
Those welds you made look great. Your jeep reminds me of my first tj. It was the same red as yours and i put a 4" skyjacker lift on it. The lift was red and really popped. I had it all chromed out though and never did more than trail ride. The tj i got now is gonna be strictly off road. Great looking jeep you got tho
Thanks!

I'm working towards building a capable trail rig on a budget. It's not my DD and i have the rig to tow it with if need be. I'm going to try and make what i can for the jeep to cut down on cost and also its kinda cool when someone ask you where you bought so and so part and you can respond "I made it"
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #43
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Updates have been slow recently but now that I'm on spring break I am finally getting to do a few things on the jeep

Today I pulled my faded stock fenders off and preped them up for a fresh coat of krylon fusion.

Fender-less?

Got the fenders painted but will have to wait till tomorrow to get them back on. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #44
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also, over the weekend I picked up some new rocker guard made by DND products. I found them for a good deal on craigslist in bare metal so i picked them up to replace my large frame mounted sliders/steps. I'll have to try and get them installed soon.

Here they are bare metal

And I also primed and painted them today while doing the fenders. Satin black to match the bumpers and flares

Also pulled out my friend in his YJ. Don't be mistaken by what looks like a little puddle. There was muck above his axles and he was stuck pretty well

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #45
Stoked99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good dude. Those rockers look pretty nice. I also love the tan top. You don't see a lot of them with that color combo, but I really like it.

Vice President - Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club
'98 2.5L - RC 2.5 - 33's - Beach Cruiser

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines" - Enzo Ferrari
Stoked99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.