Going wheeling in the morning
Round 2 on the steering box mod. Picked up a used steering box from the junkyard for $25. This one is from a mid 90s Grand cherokee I think, it has a little quicker ratio which I think I will like, 3 turns lock to lock vs the 3.5 turns of a TJ box.
Marking the holes to be drilled for the assist. Hit the ports perfectly on the first one I did so tried to match them up as best I could.
Drilling holes. Hit the ports dead center again!
Tapping 1/4" NPT
Cleaned EXTREMELY well this time, definitely think I left shavings in the last one because I got a lot of stuff out of this one until it was spotless. Then I installed the #6 JIC fittings
Painted and reassembled with all new o-rings, teflons, and seals. Hoping this one works for a long time!
For the trip to Moab, I tried making a overflow for the radiator with an aluminum water bottle, some fittings and a filter on tip. I sealed it with JB weld. It held up for half the week until the JB weld cracked, then it started slowly leaking coolant. I took care of that problem by installing a overflow I got from Jegs, much better!
The angry tractor needed something done about the hacked together straight pipe I had horribly constructed at 2am the night before leaving. Re-did the exhaust, welded up all the leaks and added this little mini muffler I got from Jegs. It helped make it not so loud at lower RPMs but the tractor still comes out when I get on it
With the steering box re-installed, I started checking things over and quickly figured out that my steering system was terribly out of adjustment. First, I was toed out about 1"
Then I discovered what might be why my last steering box broke, I never fine tuned the ram and steering box to work together properly after final assembly, I thought I did, but I guess that's what I get for putting the steering together around 4am after nearly 72 hrs of no sleep
It was right during mock up but got messed up during final assembly. The ram was extending about a 1/2" past the boxes limit when steering to the right (remember, my steering box broke when steering hard right!). I think what happen was, when turning hard right, the power piston in the box moves towards the back, between the piston and the rear wall were some shavings from not cleaning the box out well enough. The ram over steered the box, forcing the piston back farther which crushed the shavings and ended up breaking the lip off the piston at the bottom (where the shaving would have settled in the box). Anyway, I should have it fixed now.
The Toe got adjusted from 1" of toe-out to 1/8" of toe-in and the ram and draglink adjusted to get the ram to limit just before the box. After a quick test drive we are looking good and ready to do some wheeling!