MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #406
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Know-it-all!!! haha
What do you think I'v been doing for the last 3 months of school. I'll give you a hint... not HW

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #407
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Worked for a couple hours more on the BL today before dinner. I made these plates to weld the body mount to and then weld the whole thing to the frame.
These did a few of things:
- Allow me to raise the mount high enough (1.25") and still be able to weld the top of the body mount to something.
- Maintain the same distance for the body mount in relation to the frame because I lost roughly 3/16" cutting the mounts off the frame and then grinding them so they would sit flush again.
- Doing it this way allowed me to weld all the way around the body mount on the bench and then weld the plate too the frame.

The holes are for plug welds just to add extra strength.

I also welded one body mount to the frame 1.25" up from it's original position. That's all I got done for now.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #408
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice welds i useually do crappy welds for myself,,and everyone else gets my good work

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #409
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
nice welds i useually do crappy welds for myself,,and everyone else gets my good work
Thanks

I was going for strength over looks this time but they still turned out pretty good. I just wanted to make sure the body mount was STUCK to the frame and I believe I accomplished that. I still don't enjoy vertical and overhead welding haha.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #410
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I love late night wrenching I was bored and not too tired, so I decided to swap the motor mounts. Who needs sleep

Very impressed with the Brown Dog stuff I'm glad I went this route instead of the budget MML that I planned to do as these are very high quality and nearly indestructible for hardly that much more $$

Here is my stock driver's side mount next to the 1" taller Brown Dog replacement. Notice the crack in my stock mount.

Driver's side mount in place from the top. The biggest pain to getting these in was wrestling the engine around to get everything to line up. I think my engine shifted to the passenger side when I jacked it up which is why I had a little bit of trouble lining things back up again. I got it eventually though

Driver's side mount in place from the bottom.

Anyone that has replaced there motor mounts knows about the passenger side mount. The factory puts the "through bolt" in from the front when assembling the Jeep but then you can't remove the darn thing without pulling the alternator. The solution is to remove the entire engine bracket from the engine block and then flip the bolt when you reassemble everything. I attacked the engine bracket with some extensions from the passenger side wheel well. Here is the engine side motor mount bracket and passenger side motor mount.

Next I threw the engine bracket back in place and re-torqued all the bolts with red loctite

Finally I installed the Passenger side motor mount. Since I had already lined up the Driver's side this one went in much easier

And that was it. Not too bad and I'm glad to have it done so I can continue on with everything else. I felt like I hadn't spent much time on it the last couple days so I needed to catch up haha
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #411
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Installing the Brown Dogs is a fun little project.
Unread 01-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #412
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice welding. Those wont be going anywhere!
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #413
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Help me understand the purpose of what you just did to the TJ?
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #414
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
1" motor mount lift, which aligns the fan with the fan shroud after a body lift is done. Equally as important, it tilts the rear output shaft down an extra degree or two to help with driveline angles. On that note, it's a good thing to do if a "tummy tuck" is done to help keep the factory drivetrain orientation somewhat in check. And it looked like his mounts needed replacing anyway so it was probably a "might as well" situation.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #415
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
1" motor mount lift, which aligns the fan with the fan shroud after a body lift is done. Equally as important, it tilts the rear output shaft down an extra degree or two to help with driveline angles. On that note, it's a good thing to do if a "tummy tuck" ( this in the near future hopefully) is done to help keep the factory drivetrain orientation somewhat in check. And it looked like his mounts needed replacing anyway so it was probably a "might as well" situation.
You pretty much hit the nail smack on the head for the reasons I used one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Imped explained the MML very well but I have a feeling you might have been asking about the body lift I'm doing? Most people understand a MML and the reason for it but you don't always see people relocating their body mounts.
- One of the big reasons I'm doing it and the reason I enjoy fabricating vs. buying aftermarket is because it is unique. Most everyone and their mother slaps a aftermarket BL kit in their and calls it good but why stop there
- By relocating the body mounts I gain 1.25" of clearance under the body mounts. Any added clearance I can get is great. I have hit the body mounts on the trails before
- It also made the cost of my BL much cheaper since Savvy let me purchase 5 pucks vs the whole kit.
The reason for the BL in the first place is because I'm dropping down the suspension to roughly 3" and in the future am planning to build a tummy tuck belly skid and need the clearance under the tub for the t-case/transmission. I wanted to complete the BL before the cage so I could build frame tie-ins for the cage and only do them once (the distance would change if I did the BL after)

Hope that's the information you were looking for

Now, onto what I got done this evening. Pretty much have completed the Driver's side. Hopefully tomorrow I can cut the mounts off the other side and relocate them and finish up the BL. I'm itching to work on the cage now.

Here is a before pic of the mounts before I chopped them off to give you an idea of the clearance gained under the mounts

Finished Driver's side

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #416
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, thats sick ahhaa.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #417
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Wow, thats sick ahhaa.
haha thanks

I really wanna try and knock out the other side tomorrow. I wanna bend some tube lol
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #418
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

God dammit, you're making me want a welder dude haha.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #419
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
God dammit, you're making me want a welder dude haha.
It's probably my single most favorite thing I'v ever purchased. Definitely opens up opportunities to do so much more. I'm not helping am I

Get one
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #420
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My welder at home and at work are my best friends when it comes to making metal my art
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.