MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 274 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #4096
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Unless you have a shifter like this.

You can pretty much obtain the "Stock Rockgate" on a normal auto jeep setup with a little help from a Dremel.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #4097
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finally made it home! Pretty exhausted from driving nearly 1700 miles in 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
How fast did you get it up to while you were out there?
How ever fast redline in 3rd gear is, I didn't have guages this trip

When I took Lu for a ride after Metal Masher we were moving a long pretty good (I'm guessing 50-55). According to him we were taking bumps that shook his up pretty good over 20 mph faster and the suspension just ate it up like it was nothing. It will be a blast once I get more HP and an actual tune on the shocks. I couldn't be happier with the way it felt at speed though. It's super tight with hardly any body roll which I wasn't expecting, very predictable, and didn't have any weird or strange handling characteristics. Even hitting the bumps pretty hard and catching a little air it just felt stable and controlled enough to keep your foot in it as it didn't kick the rear up or toss the jeep funny. The steering is flat out awesome at speed. I can blast through the rough stuff with one finger on the wheel which is pretty cool and I couldn't detect any lag or sluggishness from the hydro assist.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #4098
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another angle from the Helldorado waterfall. Man, I wish I could have tried it a few more times

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #4099
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeremey's wife came up with some cool shots and angles didn't see?
Good to see you made it home in one piece. Time to chill for awhile buddy
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #4100
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you made it home safe Mike, get some rest buddy. You deserve some!
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #4101
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A nice week of sleep lol. Glad to hear you made it home safely

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/chesters-tj-build-1420405/"][COLOR="Green"]Chester TJ build[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/rubicon-trail-august-9th-11th-2014-a-1550022/"][COLOR="Blue"]2014 JF RUBICON TRIP[/COLOR][/URL]
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #4102
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I see you have an OBA system now? What are the specs
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #4103
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Glad you made it home safe Mike, get some rest buddy. You deserve some!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
A nice week of sleep lol. Glad to hear you made it home safely
Haha, I wish! I've been getting up early ever morning to work all day. Fist morning back I had to head right out into the garage to do some fab and welding. Had a transfer tank of my buddies that I promised to get done for him before his vacation tomorrow. He needed it modified to fit his short bed truck.

Piece cut

Folded up

All welded up and leak tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
I see you have an OBA system now? What are the specs
Honestly, I'm not sure on all the specs. It's a small cheap compressor I use to have on my tow rig to power air horns, a 2 or 1.5 gallon tank (don't remember) and a pressure switch set to come on at 80 and switch off at 110. It's just to power my air locker in the rear and honestly might just pick up an ARB compressor to stick somewhere. I did an extremely quick mounting and wiring job there in the back because I could not figure out a good mounting solution for the tank and compressor in such a short period of time.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #4104
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I've had a few days to kind of relax a little so I think it's time to recap what has happened in the past few weeks. I had to disappear from JF in the couple weeks leading up to the trip because every single second I had available was spent in the garage working on the Jeep. It was extremely hectic trying to get the Jeep running in such a short period of time. I basically looked at my to do list and axed everything that wasn't essential to the running and driving function

I worked all day and late into the night most nights and didn't sleep at all for 48 hrs leading up to the drive out to Denver. It was exhausting and added more stress to the trip because of the tension is was creating between my girl, my family and I as I put all my time and effort into making the trip. Looking back, I was a mad man doing what I did, but i was determined not to give up (even though it crossed my mind every day before the trip). "I have to make this trip" I kept telling myself. If I didn't make it I don't think it would have been good for my sanity or for the Jeep build. I would have felt defeated and motivation to finish the project would have been hard to come by for months. I would have felt pretty defeated if I had missed this trip that I had been looking forward to for over 6 months.

I also have to put a BIG thanks out to quite a few people that helped make the trip even possible for me. My buddy Lu (AngryTJ) was a huge help in keeping me motivated to get mine running in time. Knowing what I still had left to do to the jeep to make the trip, I feared not having any time to prepare for the week ahead and that alone almost had me calling it quits. I never like to feel unprepared on such a big trip. Camping supplies, tools, ect. hadn't even crossed my mind as I struggled to get the mess of Jeep parts bolted together into something that resembled a Jeep Lu stepped up and assured me that he was bringing just about everything we could need and not to worry about that stuff, "just get the jeep done!" he told me. For that I have to send a big thank you your way bud. That took a lot of stress off of making the trip and thank you again for the use of your tools throughout the week

Also, to Mike (gspup), thank you a bunch for the use of the shop to finish up our Jeeps after we got to Denver and for the place to stay both weekends. I still can't believe I drove all the way to Denver before I even test drove the Jeep and even more shocked that it all actually worked What an insane amount of driving to do for a shakedown run And I guess the police didn't think test driving a Jeep with no lights or muffler at 2am in an industrial complex was as good of an idea as we did

Finally, big thanks to all the guys we met out in Moab for putting up with the sounds of the Angry Tractor and offering help all week. I really did try to get a muffler on it somewhere but sleep deprivation and trying to construct a leak free exhaust at 2am the night before leaving was a huge failure. It was actually worse if you can believe it before Mike (gspup) welded up the huge gaping holes I missed in the down pipe when we got to Denver. I'm pretty much going to have to re-do the entire exhaust I think because it was hacked together with several pieces of the old setup and I need to fit a muffler in there somewhere.

I'm very happy that I made the trip! It was great meeting and wheeling with all of you guys and I had a blast out in Moab testing my Jeep. Having the Jeep at least in a running state will make it a ton easier to work on the rest of the stuff I didn't get a chance to finish before. I can at least wheel it and work on the little stuff 1 project at a time without having the Jeep down for months at a time.

Pics and more coming in a few....
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #4105
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mike, my hat is of to you for getting the Jeep together, running and working as well as it does, in the very short amount of time that it took you. Pretty darn amazing, on top of that it plain kicks @ss.
Was a ton of fun putting around with you
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #4106
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lu described the drive out there very well in his thread. It was tough on both of us due to the storms we encountered in the mid-west. It was especially tough for me after not sleeping more than 4 hrs in 3 days. We didn't do much sleeping during the first few days of driving/wheeling either and by the time we were in Moab we both needed to try and relax.

On to some photos that I shot throughout the trip...

After a late night wrenching on the jeeps, we got up early and met up with quite a few of Mike's buddies from the area to make the drive down to the Independence trail system.

Line of rigs headed down the highway

The very first time my Jeep touched dirt in over 6 months as we unloaded and aired down.

We ran down Liberty trail to test the Jeeps since neither Lu or I had wheeled since the rebuilds. It was fun, technical, but not too difficult. Everything seemed to be working well and functioning correctly. We eventually came to the bottom of Patriot where the rest of the group was making there way up.

I was a little hesitant to run what looked like a fun but very difficult trail being that this was the first run with the Jeep and we still had a week of wheeling ahead of us. I didn't want to tear everything up on the first day not knowing for sure if everything was working correctly. However, I got talked into running it by the rest of the group. In hindsight, it would have been a lot easier if I had turned around and drove back up and out through Liberty with Lu because Patriot turned into an all day effort to get 2 Jeeps with us winched out of the rest of the trail after catastrophic failure.

Making my way through the entrance and first part of the trail. By now I was starting to get an idea of what the Jeep was capable of. It was climbing great and the hydro assist was a huge improvement. I could actually turn in the rocks!

What did become immediately apparent once I hit Patriot though was how severely undergeared I still am. I had struggled on steep and technical trails with my 35s and 4.88 gearing and was hoping the 5.38s and 37s would be a little better. My little 4 banger struggled to find the power in the big rocks on Patriot and you can see quite a bit of clutch smoke in one of the pictures below. I definitely need more gearing in low range but with the plan to buy and Atlas when the V8 goes in, I'm not sure how or if I will address this before that happens.
Also, throwing me off a little was the fact that I had to re-learn driving in the rocks due to the added width. I had become very in-tune with the width before and could easily predict where the passenger tires were riding the rocks on my right but with the newly added width I struggled a bit at first. I got better with it in Moab and will eventually become comfortable with where the passenger side tires are now but it had me struggling at the entrance of this trail.

I eventually made my way to the obstacle they call A-Hole. It was a tough v-notch that was made even more difficult by the offcamber entrance into the hole. The jeep in front of me in this picture got in a bad spot, broke his axle shaft and then SHTF. Trying to winch him out of the top wedged his 37" Krawler into the crack, folding it back over itself and bending the wheel all to hell and broke the shock mount off the axle in the rear. Then his stock battery died trying to winch even with the engine running. It killed the jeep and left him with a dead battery. One of the yota's with us spun around and hooked up and started pulling him again. This just wedged him even farther into the crack and also folded his tie rod in half (stock TR on 37's...). Broken and stuck, we didn't move for almost 2 hrs. Once the TR was repaired with a High lift, we decided we needed to back him up and stack some rocks and then get a second winch on him. The ZJ running the trail with us attempted to turn around and POP, the pinion sheared right in half on his HP44 Now 2 were broken passed the difficult entrance and still had to be winched through the rest of the trail and out a very difficult exit. Lu and I had planned to hit the road for Moab by 3-4pm at the latest. It was about 2pm already and we knew we were in for a long afternoon.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #4107
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Mike, my hat is of to you for getting the Jeep together, running and working as well as it does, in the very short amount of time that it took you. Pretty darn amazing, on top of that it plain kicks @ss.
Was a ton of fun putting around with you
Thanks, Art! Had a blast following you around all week and hope to do it again soon. Might have to plan a trip to JV or Arizona to play around on some big boy rocks with ya
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #4108
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That would be way cool, it's fun to egg each other on just a lil
Most all that stuff will start again this fall. Summer is building time and a bit of night and mountain wheelin
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #4109
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
That would be way cool, it's fun to egg each other on just a lil
Most all that stuff will start again this fall. Summer is building time and a bit of night and mountain wheelin
I hear ya, I still have a bit of work ahead of me before I'm ready for another cross country trip anyway
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #4110
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those sure look like some fun rocks, to bounce around on

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.