MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #391
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteroffaster View Post
where did she get the jeep knife? i need one...or seven.
I think Quadratec

So I got started on the BL tonight but didn't get much done just because I didn't have much time. One comment though, the fit of the Savvy BL pucks over the stock body mounts is excellent. It's hard to describe the feel but when you slip the puck over the mount, you can tell they are fitted perfectly. I imagine Currie/JKS mounts fit nearly the same as they all encapsulate the stock mount and retain the beveled edge that fits into the tub. None the less, it was worth giving Savvy a call for the body lift pucks I needed

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #392
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So far I'v gotten all the Savvy BL spacer's in place and have begun cutting the body mounts off the frame. I found taking a grinder to the weld and then finishing it off with a sawz-all works best, leaving a minimum amount of metal on the frame to be smoothed down. I got the 3 body mounts on the driver's side knocked off and smoothed out. Still have to tackle the passenger's side. I took measurements of all the mounts before I cut them off so I can relocate them 1.25" up

Some finesse with the sawz-all removed them cleanly and only took me about an hour to do the Driver's side. I expected it to be worse than it actually was

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #393
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't get a chance to work on the body lift anymore today. Instead I drove up to Salisbury where I go to school to check up on my apartment and also pick up 100ft of 1.75x.120" DOM from Mike Ferrari at Delmarva Offroad. Great guy so if any of you local guys need steel give him a call. Thanks again bud I'll get to start putting that bender to use finally

Hopefully I'll finish up working on the body mounts the next couple days and then start work on the cage.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #394
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

u think your so cool

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #395
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
wtf?
its a saying when you see something you really like, and i was referring to your tubing for your cage, looks good.

Unread 01-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #396
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIDJP44 View Post
its a saying when you see something you really like, and i was referring to your tubing for your cage, looks good.
Okay, sorry man

I thought you were trolling for a second my bad

Edit: Also, I forgot to add that my brown dog MML came in the mail today too. Now I just need to find time to work on everything.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #397
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

u got a lot of money sunk into this rig, i take it your not gonna part with it ever hun????Im selling mine but ill have another one.

Unread 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #398
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIDJP44 View Post
u got a lot of money sunk into this rig, i take it your not gonna part with it ever hun????Im selling mine but ill have another one.
Not planning on it. I figure everything on it is repairable, replaceable or upgradable so unless it explodes into pieces (hopefully not with me in it ) or I'm forced to sell it due to some unforeseen event later in life, I'd like to keep it and continue to build from this base
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #399
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

cant wait to see the cage
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #400
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
cant wait to see the cage
^^^This^^^
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #401
TheMiser3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Considering I hadn't finished reading this when I sent you that email, you can go ahead and ignore the email. I hadn't seen that you already had gone and picked up your tubing. Good luck and can't wait to see the cage. Let me know if you're buying any more metal or just are in the area and would be willing to pick some up. (Salisbury is such an annoying drive away from West Baltimore)
Traded the 2008 Unlimited JK Rubicon for a 2010 of the same flavor, but Deep Water Blue -Still stock... for now... ;) Grab Handles, and the Daystar dash have been added and welding practice has commenced.
TheMiser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #402
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I dont know much about roll cage tubing but is it me or is the wall on the tubing look mighty thing. I dont know specs of DOM so please teach me.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #403
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stop posting and get bending!

TheMiser, if you need something I travel throughout PA, MD, DE, and such every now and then. Let me know and I can normally bring stuff with me.

MountainMan, Mike picked up 1.75" .120 wall which is fairly standard for cages. It is what my personal rig is made from and has taken some hard rolls with no issues. There is a small trend in some of the comp rigs to us a .188 wall or such in high impact areas as well but with your everyday vehicles .120 wall is plenty. Hope that helps give you some extra info.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #404
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiser3 View Post
Considering I hadn't finished reading this when I sent you that email, you can go ahead and ignore the email. I hadn't seen that you already had gone and picked up your tubing. Good luck and can't wait to see the cage. Let me know if you're buying any more metal or just are in the area and would be willing to pick some up. (Salisbury is such an annoying drive away from West Baltimore)
I sent you back an email. It's very easy for me to drive the 1/4 mile over to Mike's shop and get anything you want while I'm up at school. Not a problem When I'm home it's a 3 hour drive for me 1 way lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
I dont know much about roll cage tubing but is it me or is the wall on the tubing look mighty thing. I dont know specs of DOM so please teach me.
1.75" x .120 is probably the most widely used size in roll cages for the strength to weight ratio. DOM is the process in which electric welded tubing is Drawn Over a Mandrel to finish it to very tight tolerances which also greatly increases its tensile strength since the cold drawing process re-structures the molecules in the steel. Lots of info about DOM if you care to look for it.

Also, as Mike said, .120" wall is extremely common in roll cages. Some of the KOH buggies and competition rigs use .188 wall (3/16") on things like sliders and such that take a ton of beatings during competitions and races.

Simply put, .120" DOM is plenty for what we use it for. It's the same size and thickness you'll find from most any aftermarket cage kits out on the market. Some don't even use DOM and instead use HREW (Hot rolled electric welded) tubing which is still strong enough if used properly. The most critical part of a cage is the design. It doesn't matter if you use 2" solid bar chromolly if it's not designed properly

Hope that helps give you a general understanding
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #405
B2CARPEN
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Know-it-all!!! haha

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.