MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #301
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_muse View Post
A rear 60 off the same 3/4 ton truck the front 44 came off.
Now to find the truck lol

We'll see what happens. I'm gonna make a few trips to the local u-pull yard and see what's out there.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #302
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard15 View Post
Nice Jeep!
Thanks man
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #303
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Few little updates:

I received my tube bender. I'll most likely be building a mount for it and setting it up next weekend over thanksgiving break. I need to figure out how I will secure it to the floor in my garage and still be able to remove it when not in use. I'd like to keep as much space free in my garage as possible since there isn't much space to work with at the moment. Probably won't be bending anything for a little while but would like to try and build a cage over my winter break.

Also, I purchased a steering box and steering pump for the jeep. They are Fenco reman units from Advance since they had a 20% off deal last week that I took advantage of. I was about to order PSC units last week from Poly Performance but decided I'd hold off and save my money for now. When I decide what I need, after I build a set of axles, I will sell these and buy PSC most likely but I didn't want to order a new PSC box and then wish I had ordered one with hydro assist tapped, or end up going full hydro or something. They are not A1 Cardone so hopefully they are decent enough for awhile. My current box has a lot of play and my pump is whining non stop in the rocks. I hope these units will remedy this.

Last thing, I may be making a trip to Rausch Creek this weekend. My friend is leaving for basic in just a few weeks and he wants to go up and camp/wheel before he leaves so we are going to try and make it this weekend. I hope to replace my steering gear and pump Saturday before we head up. Wheeling on Sunday. Pics early next week if we end up going
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #304
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bender? Where the heck did you get that

As for the mount, they make some flush mount concrete anchors that would work great if you add a flat plate on the bottom of the mount. Then just bolt it in to use it. Or mount it on your trailer, works good as well.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #305
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari View Post
Bender? Where the heck did you get that

As for the mount, they make some flush mount concrete anchors that would work great if you add a flat plate on the bottom of the mount. Then just bolt it in to use it. Or mount it on your trailer, works good as well.
Haha, thanks Mike

And yea thats what I'm looking to do for the bender. Flat plate on the bottom of the pedestal that I can bolt to the concrete and remove when I'm not using it.
Know where I can find those flush mount concrete anchors? I believe those are exactly what I want.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #306
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

man are you gonna be busy you could make a plate with a short part of tube sticking up to slide the bender in,,then youll be tripping on it if its in the middle of where you walk,,but works great

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #307
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
man are you gonna be busy you could make a plate with a short part of tube sticking up to slide the bender in,,then youll be tripping on it if its in the middle of where you walk,,but works great
I would like it to be right at the front of the garage so i can work with long pieces of tube and I still need to be able to park the jeep and my brothers car in their when I'm not working so anything sticking up is out of the question if i mount it there.

Mike's suggestion to mount it on the trailer or something has me thinking about other possible mounting locations. Maybe something like your talking about but outside the garage somewhere. I could slip the bender in and make my bends then move it back into the garage when not in use.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #308
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

now you got me thinking..i may just dig a 12x12 inch hole and pour a small footer in the yard and let it be 4 inches below the grass and throw a piece of sod on it when not needing it..then there would be all kinds of room

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #309
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A secret tool mount. Haha, thats great
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #310
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Changed out the steering gear and pump Saturday morning. I just followed the step by step directions on Stu Olson's site and it was a piece of cake. Only took 2.5 hrs maybe. Here is a little demonstration of how the "Power Steering Pulley Puller" works. I rented it at Autozone and it also provides the installer tool to press the pulley on the new pump. This is a "must have" tool to complete the job.

The kit comes with different sizes for different pumps. You have to use the 2 bolts farthest to the right with the puller and installer as they are the right thread size for the Jeep pump.

The first part of the puller slides into the end of the pump shaft. Then the two halves of the puller are put in place over the pulley.

Then the retaining sleeve is placed over the halves

Using two wrenches, turn until the pulley is off the pump.

Old vs. Reman.

Pulley placed over the pump and installer tool in place

Pulley pressed on

Old steering gear next to new (remanufactured) box

Night and day difference in feel. The steering is effortless now and I'm pretty happy with the results. It was getting to the point I was fighting my steering wheel in the driveway and on the trail.

P.S. wheeling pics from today in just a sec
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #311
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So Saturday afternoon, me and the gf with my buddy and another friend, headed up to RC for camping last night and wheeling all day today. We had a great time camping even though it was about 25* last night

Wheeling today didn't go quite as planned. We hit the trails at 9am and did trail 4/Yellow Jacket, trail 8, and then headed down to Lake Christy in the south property. After messing around there for a little while we decided to head on our way for some more trails. This is where bad luck struck. The climbs coming out of Lake Christy were a little slicker than last time we went and my buddy was giving his YJ a little too much skinny pedal at the top and ended up busting a rim up at the top on a large rock. Tire seems fine but the inner lip of the rim is bashed in and it wouldn't hold air. Unfortunately all he has as a spare is the little stock POS tire (I'v been on him to get something full size for awhile now). So after throwing his spare on their we decided to call it a day (it was only 12:30pm so I was pissed) I was planning to wheel a few harder trails and spend as much time in the park as we had daylight but that plan didn't work out this time.

Oh yeah, and the gf didn't want to be camera girl so I didn't even get that many pics. Can you believe that

Okay, so I tried this rocky hill climb coming out of Lake Christy for a good half hour. I was determined but in the end I failed. I kept getting caught in a hole at the top and my tires couldn't grip the slick rock. I believe I would have had a better chance if I had a locker in the rear which won't happen till I swap axles.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #312
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Video of me failing on that hill climb.

Rausch Creek hill climb
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #313
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got some cool new things setup this week. I found some concrete anchors that seem like they are going to work perfect. 1/2" drop in anchors that sit flush. You drill a 5/8 hole, pound em in, then take a 1/2" bolt and crank it down into them and it drives a slug down into the base and spreads them out so they grip the concrete. Seem snug and secure

While I'm not using the bender I'll remove it and just reinstall the bolts to keep dirt and whatnot out of the slugs. With these there will be nothing but a bolt head sticking up when the bender is not in place and thats what I wanted. I can still drive and walk over them without tripping or stubbing my toes hopefully lol

Here is my new bender in place and all assembled. I built the stand also today using my other new toy(see below). Can't wait to start making stuff *cough* full tube buggies *cough*

Bought myself an early christmas gift while black friday shopping today. I absolutely hated drilling holes in steel with a hand drill. I did this for both of my bumpers and several other projects and it was not fun. Tractor supply was having a $40 off sale on this Black Bull 16 speed drill press. I read a few reviews and went and checked it out and decided to buy it. After assembling it, I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of everything. Every piece on it is heavy and looks like it will hold up. Time will tell I suppose, but for now, it drills through steel like butter
The nice thing about this is the 16 speeds, from 260-4220 rpm. After comparing several budget drill presses this one appears to have one of the slower speed than the others which is what I wanted for drilling steel.

Now I just gotta clear a space for all this stuff in my garage
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 11-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #314
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Great idea with the anchors.
Unread 11-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #315
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Great idea with the anchors.
I hope they work out. I have limited space in my garage so being able to move the bender is a necessity.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.