MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #271
TheMiser3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_muse View Post
I may have missed it, but what did you cut the rear crosmember with, I mean the clevis holes and the shape of the it? I don't have a plasma cutter and am not looking forward to doing it with a cut off wheel lol.
For small cuts in tight places (such as those used to cut the hole for the clevis holes) you could drill an initial hole in the metal, and then use a metal cutting blade on a jigsaw to do the cuts. A jigsaw is not really practical when you are cutting large sections of thick metal, but would work just fine for the small jobs.

Mike, let me know if you've found a better way...

Traded the 2008 Unlimited JK Rubicon for a 2010 of the same flavor, but Deep Water Blue -Still stock... for now... ;) Grab Handles, and the Daystar dash have been added and welding practice has commenced.
TheMiser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #272
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sweet looking bumper for sure i had a few welds on my bumoer that were fine but i didnt like myself,till someone jerked on them sideways a few times and they didnt budge lol..made me feel much better !

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #273
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I may have missed it, but what did you cut the rear crosmember with, I mean the clevis holes and the shape of the it? I don't have a plasma cutter and am not looking forward to doing it with a cut off wheel lol.
Unfortunately, all done with a cut off wheel

I would love a plasma set up but can't justify the cost just yet since I'v been able to fabricate some pretty cool things so far with just a grinder and my welder. It does take more time with the grinder but it works for now until I start fabricating a lot more or start building things for other people
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #274
mikes_muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Unfortunately, all done with a cut off wheel

I would love a plasma set up but can't justify the cost just yet since I'v been able to fabricate some pretty cool things so far with just a grinder and my welder. It does take more time with the grinder but it works for now until I start fabricating a lot more or start building things for other people
Sounds like you're in the same situation as me, lol. It works, but isn't ideal. Looks like I'll be starting mine this next week I think. Thanks again for the input.
mikes_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #275
mikes_muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiser3 View Post
For small cuts in tight places (such as those used to cut the hole for the clevis holes) you could drill an initial hole in the metal, and then use a metal cutting blade on a jigsaw to do the cuts. A jigsaw is not really practical when you are cutting large sections of thick metal, but would work just fine for the small jobs.

Mike, let me know if you've found a better way...
I may have to go with that jigsaw idea. At least on the clevis and receiver holes I need to cut.
mikes_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #276
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

not ideal but torch and grinder have worked for me all my life..my bumpers and all were torched and ground,even the angles on the stinger..i see the lotto in my future tho..or i will always just get by with what i know lol..like most do

Unread 10-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #277
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Great thread and nice work so far.
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #278
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what is your rear track bar setup with the 4" lift and sye? Do you think just the cv-style bracket with the stock track bar would work? Gotta get rid of the god awful t case drop..

Great build btw definitely modelling mine after it
2000GrayTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #279
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Great thread and nice work so far.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GrayTJ View Post
what is your rear track bar setup with the 4" lift and sye? Do you think just the cv-style bracket with the stock track bar would work? Gotta get rid of the god awful t case drop..

Great build btw definitely modelling mine after it
Thanks

And yes, you should be fine. I'm running the JKS cv track bar bracket (for 3-4" lift) with the stock track bar in the rear and have not had any problems with it.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #280
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sounds like you're in the same situation as me, lol. It works, but isn't ideal. Looks like I'll be starting mine this next week I think. Thanks again for the input.
No problem, feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need help figuring something out
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #281
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, came back home from school this weekend and had enough time this evening to install the ZJ tie rod and set the toe again. I painted it a couple weeks ago to match the rest of my steering.

A level clamped to each rotor is how I set my toe. Anything that has a true straight edge will work. Mark them for the size of tire (33" in my case) so you have a consistent spot to measure from. Set to have an 1/8" of toe in

And a finished pic. Sorry it's a bit dark and was also taken with my cell. With the bends in the ZJ bar you lose a marginal amount of clearance over the straight stock tie rod. However, the solid steel bar is a heck of a lot stronger then the thin, hollow stock tube lol

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 10-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #282
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like I'm ordering a new toy. Should come in handy as the Jeep addiction continues

^ That's not the actual one

But I am getting a Pro Tools model 105HD bender, degree ring, ext. handle, and a 1.75" x 6" CLR x 240 degree die set I already have steel to build a mount for it. This winter should be fun lol
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 10-29-2010, 06:39 AM   #283
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sweeeet

Unread 11-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #284
TheMiser3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Looks like I'm ordering a new toy. Should come in handy as the Jeep addiction continues

^ That's not the actual one

But I am getting a Pro Tools model 105HD bender, degree ring, ext. handle, and a 1.75" x 6" CLR x 240 degree die set I already have steel to build a mount for it. This winter should be fun lol
I've been looking into these, where did you find one of these and how much was it?
Traded the 2008 Unlimited JK Rubicon for a 2010 of the same flavor, but Deep Water Blue -Still stock... for now... ;) Grab Handles, and the Daystar dash have been added and welding practice has commenced.
TheMiser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #285
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiser3 View Post
I've been looking into these, where did you find one of these and how much was it?
Sent you a PM
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.