MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #226
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiser3 View Post
How do you go about cutting your 3/16" steel down? Obviously I'd love to have a plasma cutter, but considering its not going to happen, whats the best choice? My jigsaw seems to be difficult to use, although that could be due to the fact that i'm working on a table thats as high as my mid thigh and have no clamps. But thought i'd ask if there was something relatively cheap that I'm missing. Managed to make what seems to be a pencil holder last night out of 2x3/16 angle and some 1/8" plate. Welded the two angle pieces together and the plate on one end. Got some beads that look really good.

Thanks,
I think I mentioned it before but a cheap angle grinder or 2 is a must. I have two, one that I use for cutting discs and flap discs, and one that usually just has a wire wheel on it for cleaning steel and welds. If I run out of cutting discs in the middle of a weekend project I sometimes go to my sawz-all with bi-metal blades but it's only a back up since it's pretty slow going with that. I'v used a jig saw on thin sheet but wouldn't waste my time on thicker plate such as 3/16" and 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
when useing a jig saw,or flap wheel theres some stuff that most people dont know about or do correctly..the trick is..buy a tube of stuff called"edge"cutting and tapping stuff,it comes in paste and a tube that looks like caulking.
if you touch that to the blade every 4 inches of cut it makes the jig saw,and flap wheel do its job much faster and easyer..just a thought..ive been useing it for many yrs.it makes your bits,blades,and fap wheels last much longer also and a tube last me a yr at times..
I'v never heard of it but will definitely look into it. Anything that makes the job easier and tools last longer is a plus right

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiser3 View Post
What exactly do you use the flap wheel for?
I'm assuming Johnny is referring to a flap wheel or flap disc used with a grinder (correct me if i'm wrong)

They are used for finishing edges and smoothing welds like on the ends of bumpers, etc. You can get them in different grits like sandpaper such as 60 or 120 grit flap discs.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #227
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got my cover for the D30. Thinking about painting the letters in the middle red

Solid diff covers are a heck of deal IMO. Cover, new hardware, RTV gasket maker, and stickers all shipped to my door for $80. Pretty good deal as long as they hold up. I'll get it put on in the next couple days.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #228
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Painted the letters on my diff cover and also got it installed. It got too dark to get a good pic of the cover on the jeep so I'll try and get one tomorrow. I think it looks good though

Helped my friend install the same cover on the HPD30 in his XJ as well
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #229
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The diff cover looks great!
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #230
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
x2

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #231
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
x2
Thanks guys!

Here is an installed pic of mine in the daylight. Best part about this cover is the fill plug is higher and allows you to slightly overfill the diff (i still only filled to about an inch below the fill hole because i din't want too much). Doing so has made my once noisy Aussie locker almost silent now. I can barely here it ratchet at all. I think it has to do with having the locker more submerged in fluid where before the fill hole only allowed you to fill it up to just the bottom of the carrier. I also tried a little heavier weight gear oil since i heard that helps quite the aussie down as well. Overall a big thumbs up for my Solid diff cover

And in my trip to the junkyard today I picked up a V8 ZJ tie rod. No luck on a durango steering box i was looking for though. I'll have to clean up and paint the tie rod before I install it
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #232
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did you use 85-140 gear oil? That's what I used up front and my aussie is still pretty noisy. Maybe that's an excuse to get an aftermarket diff cover and overfill it a bit

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #233
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Did you use 85-140 gear oil? That's what I used up front and my aussie is still pretty noisy. Maybe that's an excuse to get an aftermarket diff cover and overfill it a bit
Yes I did 85w-140 and I put about 2 quarts in. I did a few u-turns and couldn't get the bad shaking and ratcheting I'v felt sometimes before. However it didn't always do it before now either so i won't know for sure if it solved that problem until i get some more miles on the street. My aussie was pretty noisy before but driving around the block to test drive it today i couldn't really hear it.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #234
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Heading to RC in the morning I went over the whole jeep this evening and packed it all up.

I think we are going to try and run a few black trails so hopefully some good pics when I get back.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #235
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

run snakebite, its a great black!

13 is also a killer purple!
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #236
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
run snakebite, its a great black!

13 is also a killer purple!
Thanks for the suggestion man I was actually just coming up with a game plan for tomorrow.

Me and my buddy actually wanted to go run a few trails in the south property since we didn't venture there in our last trip. We were already thinking of running 13. Snakebite is on our list of possibilities. All depends on how the days going lol
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #237
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Had a great time yesterday! We ran a bunch of new trails and had a chance to explore the south property this trip.

We took trail 2 to Crawler's Ridge and came down one side of that. Then headed to the south property to trail 22 and Roxy's way which took us down to Lake Christy and the hill climbs that surround that. From there we went to Snakebite and ended up at the Quarry where we messed around for a little while. Then to the West property to run 12, mess around on "big rocks" and trail 18. Then decided it was about time to head back to the comp coarse to play before loading up and heading home.

Had a couple of "oh ****" moments especially on the comp coarse I almost flopped the jeep in a bowl at the top of one of the walls but ended up driving out of it and making it down the other side. At one moment my driver's side rear tire was about 2 feet in the air and my roll bar was grazing the side of the rock haha

We did get some pics but i can't find the USB cable for my digital camera I'll try to get another soon so I can get the pics up.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #238
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can't find the USB Cable? LAME!!!

Pictures!!!

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #239
TheMiser3
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
We did get some pics but i can't find the USB cable for my digital camera I'll try to get another soon so I can get the pics up.
Who doesn't have more than one of these lying around? You can do better than that... I'm very disappointed in you.

Wish I could have made it out, unfortunately, I've got a house in the middle of renovations that I want to move into in the next two weeks. So my weekend was spent setting up the portions of the house that we can.
Traded the 2008 Unlimited JK Rubicon for a 2010 of the same flavor, but Deep Water Blue -Still stock... for now... ;) Grab Handles, and the Daystar dash have been added and welding practice has commenced.
TheMiser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #240
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I really dig that TJ...great job man!

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.