MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - Page 101 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Reply
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #1501
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler
 
Bennettj13's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pendleton, IN
Posts: 5,372
Looking good bud.

__________________
::SELLING HALF OF MY JEEP::

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #1502
AngryTJ
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange, CT
Posts: 4,046
I was looking through your recent pics last night and at first Im thinking why is he putting the grooves on the top of his truss and soon after had an AH HA when I saw you added it to access the bolts on the joints. Very nice idea Mike, great work thus far.
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #1503
seekrtruth
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 437
Very creative man! Looking great!
__________________
Ole RED heep
seekrtruth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #1504
MO2500
Fabramicator
 
MO2500's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 6,592
So I need some help/opinions/discussion on what I'm going to be doing for shocks/springs. All along I've sort of had it in the plans to do CO's in the rear (actually I almost ordered ORIs a couple months back but glad I didn't because I don't think they would have fit the budget now after getting into the build). I've been trying to see if I can get a deal on some 12" travel Profender COs and then I was going to stuff them into the new, narrower section of the frame. It looks like getting them might hold up the build some and I'm starting to wonder if I'm just wanting them for the cool factor or if I could actually benefit from a set of COs for the wheeling I do.

What I'm thinking is, if I instead stick with a good coil spring and invest in a nice pair of 12" travel shocks to outboard, I save quite a bit of $$$. Not only do I save that $$$ while linking the rear, I also save that $$$ when I three link the front since obviously if I do COs in the rear I'd be planning to do the same up front. This means I could start working on an HP D30 very soon and get the 3 link built after I graduate school in the spring. I'd probably use the BTF coil perches with my 2.5" RC progressive coils or order up some Savvy/currie 3" coils if I don't get enough height out of the RC springs. Still undecided on what shocks I would run.

If I save money I might order up some upgraded axle shafts sooner rather than later. I am needing to buy new retainer plates and bearings for the stock D44 shafts to install the ZJ disc brakes on this axle. I'm thinking I might just spend a little more on upgraded shafts with bearings/ect. I also want to do hi-line fenders. Things are really starting to add up quick with this build

So I guess I need some input on whether or not I could really benefit from COs. I like them because it cleans up the suspension a lot and they are very adjustable, but could I also get great performance out of coils and the right pair of shocks?

I'm on the fence...
__________________
My Jeep Build
Useful tech links:
Stu-Offroad - great technical write-ups!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #1505
IEcrawlerTJ01
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: lake elsinore, southern california
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500
So I need some help/opinions/discussion on what I'm going to be doing for shocks/springs. All along I've sort of had it in the plans to do CO's in the rear (actually I almost ordered ORIs a couple months back but glad I didn't because I don't think they would have fit the budget now after getting into the build). I've been trying to see if I can get a deal on some 12" travel Profender COs and then I was going to stuff them into the new, narrower section of the frame. It looks like getting them might hold up the build some and I'm starting to wonder if I'm just wanting them for the cool factor or if I could actually benefit from a set of COs for the wheeling I do.

What I'm thinking is, if I instead stick with a good coil spring and invest in a nice pair of 12" travel shocks to outboard, I save quite a bit of $$$. Not only do I save that $$$ while linking the rear, I also save that $$$ when I three link the front since obviously if I do COs in the rear I'd be planning to do the same up front. This means I could start working on an HP D30 very soon and get the 3 link built after I graduate school in the spring. I'd probably use the BTF coil perches with my 2.5" RC progressive coils or order up some Savvy/currie 3" coils if I don't get enough height out of the RC springs. Still undecided on what shocks I would run.

If I save money I might order up some upgraded axle shafts sooner rather than later. I am needing to buy new retainer plates and bearings for the stock D44 shafts to install the ZJ disc brakes on this axle. I'm thinking I might just spend a little more on upgraded shafts with bearings/ect. I also want to do hi-line fenders. Things are really starting to add up quick with this build

So I guess I need some input on whether or not I could really benefit from COs. I like them because it cleans up the suspension a lot and they are very adjustable, but could I also get great performance out of coils and the right pair of shocks?

I'm on the fence...
My vote is for some SAVVY springs and FOX shocks. Coil overs are over rated unless you plan to do some high speed stuff. And even then a properly set up coil sprung rig can do very well.

After I helped blaine with alot of the CVD jeep build, I drove it and rode passenger on it's first trip out to JV. It did very very well. We hit whoops and rough sections at about 50 that I would not dream of hitting in a standard BUILT tj goin that fast.

In short. If it were my jeep I would go with springs shocks and chromo's cuz CO's are not gonna do much for ya when you have a broken shaft.

Yes coilover's are easy to package and install. But you have alot of adjustments to mess with and spring weights to deal with. Alot of people never actually get them set up right and just run them out of the box. And often could have gotten the same if not better ride out of a rig with Coil springs and out boarded shocks. Springs and shocks are almost simpler to do depending on who you ask

There's my 2cents. Hope this helps
__________________
SAVVY,CURRIE,GOODYEAR

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #1506
AngryTJ
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange, CT
Posts: 4,046
Without knowing much about coilovers I still like the idea of spending money on currie springs and fox shocks and having money left over to get stronger shafts.
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #1507
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler
 
B2CARPEN's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 2,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
My vote is for some SAVVY springs and FOX shocks. Coil overs are over rated unless you plan to do some high speed stuff. And even then a properly set up coil sprung rig can do very well.

After I helped blaine with alot of the CVD jeep build, I drove it and rode passenger on it's first trip out to JV. It did very very well. We hit whoops and rough sections at about 50 that I would not dream of hitting in a standard BUILT tj goin that fast.

In short. If it were my jeep I would go with springs shocks and chromo's cuz CO's are not gonna do much for ya when you have a broken shaft.

Yes coilover's are easy to package and install. But you have alot of adjustments to mess with and spring weights to deal with. Alot of people never actually get them set up right and just run them out of the box. And often could have gotten the same if not better ride out of a rig with Coil springs and out boarded shocks. Springs and shocks are almost simpler to do depending on who you ask

There's my 2cents. Hope this helps
Yeah... what he said

I actually agree 100% Mike, as you know I'm in a similar predicament after going LAs and double triangular. With twice as much travel and no resistance, springs / shocks are going to have a much greater impact with how well (or bad) the jeep is going to perform.

When I had stock CAs and my RC lift w/ 33s, I hardly even noticed when my rear shocks went out on me... other then a softer feeling ride. Now after changing everything and driving from 97tjeff's garage to mine (w/out rear shocks installed), I thought I was going to die with the amount of bouncing and movement. Standard nitro shocks aren't even going to come close to keeping the rig stable, so I'm going to look into Fox, Rancho adjustable valve, or King shocks once I'm ready to outboard.

One thing I would STRONGLY recommend would be some currie bump stops front and rear, ordered through Gerald at Savvy. The main reason... these are one of the only bump stops on the market that retain the coils from top and bottom, so you won't have to worry about losing coils on the trail (or in my case driving down the road lol). This would also help prevent over extension and eliminate the immediate need for limiting straps.
__________________
My 4.7L Stroker Build

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #1508
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig
 
REDLYNER's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mountain Island, NC
Posts: 4,529
Ummm.... I have the best deal on the internet for new 12" Profender reservoir shocks.

Let me know man, I can ship them out today.

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #1509
joshr1987
Senior Member
 
joshr1987's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Ummm.... I have the best deal on the internet for new 12" Profender reservoir shocks.

Let me know man, I can ship them out today.

Winner!
joshr1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #1510
MO2500
Fabramicator
 
MO2500's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01

In short. If it were my jeep I would go with springs shocks and chromo's cuz CO's are not gonna do much for ya when you have a broken shaft.
You make a good point there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER
Ummm.... I have the best deal on the internet for new 12" Profender reservoir shocks.

Let me know man, I can ship them out today.
Jay, PM me with info on the shocks. You have my attention lol
__________________
My Jeep Build
Useful tech links:
Stu-Offroad - great technical write-ups!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #1511
MO2500
Fabramicator
 
MO2500's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN
One thing I would STRONGLY recommend would be some currie bump stops front and rear, ordered through Gerald at Savvy. The main reason... these are one of the only bump stops on the market that retain the coils from top and bottom, so you won't have to worry about losing coils on the trail (or in my case driving down the road lol). This would also help prevent over extension and eliminate the immediate need for limiting straps.
Brad, I actually have currie bumps up front. If I end up using a spring mount like the BTF mount which retains the coil i'm not sure I could use the rear currie bumps. I could make my own perches and run the currie bumps in the rear possibly.
__________________
My Jeep Build
Useful tech links:
Stu-Offroad - great technical write-ups!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #1512
Sgt.Fuzz
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
If I end up using a spring mount like the BTF mount which retains the coil i'm not sure I could use the rear currie bumps.
Why not? That's what I'm bout to do.
__________________
[COLOR="Blue"]My build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/fuzzbucket-build-1126577/[/url][/COLOR]
Sgt.Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #1513
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,829
Mike, you better take that deal
__________________
SUPPORT THE TROOPS

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #1514
MO2500
Fabramicator
 
MO2500's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Why not? That's what I'm bout to do.
Looking at it I wasn't sure how well they would work together. The BTF mounts incorporate a coil spring retainer and the currie bump stops also incorporate a spring retainer. Will you just bolt the currie bumps to the bolt on the perches instead of using the supplied retainer plates in the BTF kit?

I burrowed these pics from your build. Hope you don't mind. I guess I'll have to see how you do it.


__________________
My Jeep Build
Useful tech links:
Stu-Offroad - great technical write-ups!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #1515
Sgt.Fuzz
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,436
I don't see why you couldn't just slap the retainer on and then the bumpstops and snug everything up together. Makes sense in my head anyway, but it is past my bedtime.

The one issue I've noticed so far is that the bolt that is welded to the BTF perches is larger in diameter than the holes in the Currie bumps, so they'll have to be opened up a little to slide over the bolt.
__________________
[COLOR="Blue"]My build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/fuzzbucket-build-1126577/[/url][/COLOR]
Sgt.Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.