MO2500's '97 TJ Build up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

MO2500's '97 TJ Build up

For those of you stopping in for the first time , this is the jeep as it sits now (updated Jul 24th, 2012)

Table Of Contents
Modification .................................................. .............. Starting at (click for link)
Steering box skid build .................................................. ................... Post #5
Modifying rear axle spring perch to clear shock body.............................. Post #16
Step-by-step Aussie locker install into a D30 ........................................ Post #33
Painting the faded stock fender flares .................................................. Post #43
Craigslist find: DND rocker guards installed .......................................... Post #60
RE hand throttle install .................................................. ................... Post #75
Currie Anti-rock install .................................................. ................... Post #123
Rear crossmember bumper build .................................................. ...... Post #154
4" Flush mount LED tail lights .................................................. .......... Post #160
Solid differential cover (D30) .................................................. .......... Post #227
ZJ tie rod install .................................................. ........................... Post #281
Power steering pump & box replacement ............................................ Post #310
Savvy 1.25" BL and Body mount relocation .......................................... Post #391
Brown Dog 1" MML Install .................................................. ............... Post #410
Full Cage Build (Post 832 for finished pics) ....................................... .. Post #482
Savvy tailgate skin and Rokmen corners ............................................ Post #776
U-pol Raptor lining the tub .................................................. ............. Post #820
RCI 2161 Fuel Cell Mount/Install........................................... ...............Post #918
Rear Coil Bucket Relocation/ 2.5" coil swap...........................................Post #997
Custom Front UCAs with RuffStuff heims, Currie bumps, BDS 3" coils.........Post #1003

Fabrication Links
Front Bumper and Winch plate Build
Rear Crossmember Build

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 08-05-2010 at 02:42 PM..
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

From the beginning

What I started with...
1997 Jeep Wrangler SE
2.5l 4 banger engine
5 speed and Np231
D30 front, D35 rear

Here is a few pics from the ad when i bought it. I picked it up in November 2008

I paid a little over $3000. PO always kept it in the garage and never took it off pavement so it was clean and spotless underneath, especially for a '97

I had already planned to start upgrading it the minute i got it home. Bumper end caps came off that day.
About a month later I had accumulated the parts i needed for the lift.
Fabtech performance series 4" lift with johnny joints on both ends of the lowers, 33x12.50 Pro comp MT's and black steelies, custom SS breaklines
I decided i didnt want a transfer case drop and decided to spring for an Advanced Adapters SYE and a Tom Woods custom CV shaft, I also got RC x-flex uppers to set the pinion angle properly.
I found a set of Custom4x4.com sliders for cheap and picked them up for rocker protection and steps. Took the grinder to my front bumper and chopped the ends and installed tow hooks.

Here is a pic after i finished installing the lift and a few other goodies

My jeep ran pretty good for a 4 banger on 33's but trying to get to the trails was a pain in the ***. I started looking at regear options.
I ended up having the front and rear re-geared to 4.88 by Mike @ Delmarva Offroad. This really helped out a lot with highway drivability. It's not fast but it's not my DD so slow doesnt bother me too much.
Here are a couple pics after i finished reinstalling the axles under the jeep. Also painted the drag link, tie rod and trackbar to match the diff covers and sway bar that i painted when i did the lift.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 02-15-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Okay so now i was really starting to get into the whole Jeep thing. I'v always loved wrenching on cars and trucks so i was always looking for something to do on my jeep.
Well, while searching for aftermarket bumpers i decided that i didnt like any of the options in my price range so what could i do.
I decided to buy a welder. it's been something i'v wanted to have for awhile and figured its probably going to be the most valuable tool to have when it comes to building my jeep. A few months ago I purchased a Hobart 187 MIG welder and also got a 60cf tank of shielding gas and solid wire from my LWS and i began practicing on any scraps I could get my hands on.

This led to my new front winch bumper

Built with an incorporated winch plate and fairlead mount for my new M8000.
The whole build of my front bumper can be found in the fab section here My Front Bumper/Winch Plate Build

This will be a slow but hopefully steady build so enjoy
let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 08-04-2010 at 07:09 AM..
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The bumper you made looks great.
Martinsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

Today i started working on building my own steering box skid plate. I used cardboard as a template to come up with the angles and started cutting out pieces of 1/4" plate that i had left over from building my winch plate.

This is what i'v done so far. Its just tacked up. It's all i could do today since i ran outta cutting disks for my grinder I'm gonna try and get some tomorrow and continue working on it.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 02-15-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Unread 01-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finished fabbing the skid plate for the steering box today. Just need to prep and paint it

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
eman900
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i made my own front bumper as well and i also need to built the skid plate for the steering box...how did you bolt it on from the side? and nice weld.
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I used the bottom of the 3 bolts that hold the steering box to the frame. When I was looking at other steering box skids to get an idea of how to build it i noticed most use that same bolt on the side, the bolt that goes through the bottom of the bumper, and then a third bolt that you drill into the crossmember.
I just added a tab to my front bumper and bolted it there too so i'd have 3 bolts securing it on. Seems pretty strong, I jacked the jeep up on the skid and i couldn't see any deflection.

Mike
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 02-15-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Unread 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finished the skid. I think it turned out pretty good. and best part is it was free it was all scrap from my bumper build

Also my Jeepforum.com decal just came in the mail so i couldn't resist

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 01-15-2010 at 02:40 PM..
Unread 01-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
Geister

awesome jeep man
Geister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

steering box looks awesome you should paint it red to match the red theme, i did mine like a brush aluminum color makes it sorta stand out then just black.
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments guys
I thought about painting it red but had a lot of black spray paint and was out of red lol. It looks pretty clean in black though so i think i'll leave it
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 02-15-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The red and black theme looks great.
Martinsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yea it started out with just the diff covers being red. Then when i pulled the axles for gears i decided i'd paint the other parts too. I really like the contrast. I think the black and red theme just "looks right" on my jeep
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 02-15-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #15
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Great build so far, love what you did to the front bumper. I'll keep watching this one!

4.7L Powertech V8 l Iron Rock Offroad 3" Suspension Lift l Bilstein 5125 Shocks l Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer l 17x8 Unique Steel Wheels l LT255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM l Kevins Offroad Transfer Case Skid l Kevins Offroad Roof Rack Tire Carrier l Hella 500 Black Magic

http://ddoffroad.com
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4 link , air bags , coilovers , emc , jeep tj , koh , low rider , mid arm , pimp fabrimication , rock crawler , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.