MJ - 1up Pick Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MJ - 1up Pick Up

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

MJ - 1up Pick Up

This is the build thread for an 87 or 88 MJ Comanche Chief. I bought this truck about a year ago from a friend after he and I pulled it from a private jeep junkyard aka a crazy guy living in a compound in the woods with tons of random jeeps - this one was the only one for sale apparently.

Being plucked.

Then is was briefly cleaned while in my friends ownership and then it sold to me.

Before I got it, we tried to start it. Fuel pump was bad, so we just started it with ether.... Started and ran briefly on the first try.

So the known things on the truck and axles:

-last was on the road in 2000 - via the inspection sticker
-was booty fabbed to hell and back... It looks as it the owner was adding a "lift" to it and just stopped mid process. Used 3x4" steel on the stock d30 axle for lift and started a soa on rear.
-53k on odometer
-not stolen
-want to bob and use this truck as a learning tool
-appears to have been in a wreck in the rear with a good bit of bent bed and missing a bumper.
-front passenger panel has some surface rust but I love the look of a 20+ year old truck like this and don't plan on changing many of the aesthetics
-I have 2 axles that have been used as trailer queen axles for an old YJ. They have 5.13s, ox lockers f+r, warn hubs and Im told upgraded shafts. These were run behind a 350/ax-15/231 with 38 TSL boggers. I am not really worried about strength on 37s, but they will be gone thru they are under the truck.

The plans:

-keep the 4.0L and 5 speed (maybe get a 6 speed if I can figure out the swap over stuff and find one on the cheap
-231 for now.
-bucket seats with a cab cage and harnesses (down the line)
-wagoneer 44s and 37s
-low as possible with decent up travel

The name: being a child of the 80s, I grew up on video games like mario. I think that giving this truck a new life and learning along the way is what I want in this truck. I bought it for very cheap so I want to keep it stock looking but super capable and look BA.

Here is the idea I might be going towards when I finish.... very rough though..

Stay tuned, I have started to tackle some of the work and will post up more when I have time. Thanks for looking.

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
79 FSJ.. 360/4speed on 38s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Buy my AEV Pintler TJ Beadlocks. See the classifieds.
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Basically how it sat for a while now.

With the various yards the truck lived in it started to pick up a few extra parts and all.

A few weeks ago, I went to cleaning it out and noticed how good the bed looked. With in an hour, we were cutting it up.

Braced the bedsides with some angle.

Ended up just cutting the parts around the taillights off since the end of the bed was in such bad shape.

Fitted it up and tacked in.

After that, I cut the rear part off. You can see the damaged end of the bed.

And then I trimmed all the "excess" sheet metal under the taillights for a nice departure angle.

I do want to reuse the tailgate and make it work. We will see how I can make that happen. If not, a rear winch isnt out of the question. The whole rear end will probably get a black "barracuda" type stripe of flat black because, well I like that... Look at my IOLJ below if you don't know how I feel about flat black.

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Unread 11-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Second weekend -

Once I felt pretty jonesed about the bobjob, I decided to look real close at the frame. Took some measurements and pulled the bed.

To my amazement, it was pretty damn perfect - so we cut it up. The area just over the spring hangers at the rear of the frame had some rust. (see the last bed bolts just above the rust, will have to replaced a mounting point back there)

Ended up cutting more away a few times. Here is where I stopped.

Well, I think I did cut more away for torch access but it will all be plated before Im done.

Bed was clean though.

and frame too.

Thirds weekend -

Here you can see about how much frame I was intending on removing. About 5+" or so.

Mocked up with the frame sliders from liquid iron ind.

I will have to move the front mount for the leafs forward loosing a few inches of wheelbase....

Rear tacked in place. Using a 2x3x1/8" rectangle tube in rear for a bumper and cross member.

I ended up boxing a lot of it in but didnt take any pictures as we were fighting some rain that was coming. But did have time to the bed again.

And this is caught up now.

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Unread 11-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Also, this is my third jeep and currently the second one I own so this will be a back burner project but I will not let it get neglected like the ppo did, I hope.

First Jeep

Second Jeep

Current DD

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Unread 11-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
84jeepcj7rock

Bad A$$. Love the Orange FSJ too!
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bout time. Looking forward to this
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
Bad A$$. Love the Orange FSJ too!
She was red but yeah. Great truck. 360, t18, t20 w/ 4:1 and J4000 or something 44/60 axles. I only wheeled it a few times but it could hum running down the road at 65 or 35. None of the gauges work. Haha. I shouldn't have sold it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Bout time. Looking forward to this
Me too. So many funtivities to come.

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Unread 12-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
She was red but yeah. Great truck. 360, t18, t20 w/ 4:1 and J4000 or something 44/60 axles. I only wheeled it a few times but it could hum running down the road at 65 or 35. None of the gauges work. Haha. I shouldn't have sold it

Me too. So many funtivities to come.
I want something to cut up now. Been cruising CL and Pirate all day
Unread 12-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #9
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
I want something to cut up now. Been cruising CL and Pirate all day
Get it cheap!

Deals are out there. This thing is rather rare I'm told, low-ish miles which ain't that great and in great condition considering. Not including the axles, I'm under 1k still on the truck.

Find the deal and break out the tools. Speaking of that, I had a grinder bite the dust and then a new one die a couple hours later. I burnt through a glove while welding but on the positive side I'm think I'm improving on welding from practice and some feedback from some members of jeep-owner.com. Check them out if you want a friendly feeling forum. I am just mostly working on filling in the frame and X member with plate to get the bed back on. Pictures tomorrow hopefully.

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Unread 12-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Added some more this weekend. Welds are getting better slowly. I need to add one more piece to the bottom of each side.

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Unread 12-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #11
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I like it.

Unread 12-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #12
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Today didn't go as planned. I was going to cut the stock mounts off and then plate the frame and make some heavy mounts but as the stock mounts came off pretty easily and were in great shape... I just reused them. Basically they were held on by some small tabs and 14-17 spot welds.

Basically move the mounts 4" forward

And then worked on the welds.

Both sides are mounted up and flex pretty good. I'll add a gusset to each side.

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Unread 12-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good!
Unread 12-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #14
2008Me
2008 WK 

Sorry but these welds scare me. It looks like your welder is set too hot causing you to have to move way to fast. Try turning the welder down and move slower. That may help with it wanting to blow through and should help with the under cut you're getting. That last one is hands down the best so far, dont forget the wider the weld the weaker, stringers are your friend. If you have a crap weld because of the metal or surface do what you have to do to put metal in there, grind it smooth then put another nicer one over that. Aside from that I like this project keep it up.
2008Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #15
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

cool build

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.