Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Misfortuned WJ Build Thread

6K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  Kheeney5 
#1 ·
Well, I've been debating for a while now whether or not to start a build thread. And I've decided that there aren't a ton of WJ builds out there, so here goes.

So, :welcome:

A little background info. -Skip if you hate reading
My name is Kyle and I'm 18. The WJ is my 3rd vehicle. When I turned 15 and was able to drive to work and school, I had to have a car. So my dad bought me a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon. It was black with a white racing stripe and had a glass pack exhaust and upgraded stereo system. I thought it was so cool and I just had to have it. Well after some time (2 weeks or so, LOL) I decided I hated it. Being a hunter I had to have an SUV, and that little car made me look like a f*g.

So I talked to my dad about selling it. He told me he would only buy me one car, but that one was more to teach me a lesson of not buying the first thing you see. Anyhow, after that I found a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. It was black and I loved it. The mechanics in the shop trying to fix the head gasket did not however. They tried 3 times, and after owning it for 3 months and only having it to drive for 3 weeks, we gave up and returned it under the dealer warrenty.

Then came the "Dub-J". A 1999 WJ Limited.
I loved it at first sight.
-1999 WJ
-Black Leather
-V8

I bought it 2 years ago (I think... :dunno:). At the time it had 78,000 miles. It seemed to fit what I needed, and I really like the look of the 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees. So I chose the WJ over a 1994 Cherokee Classic with 34k original miles. Dad signed the papers, and it was mine for a little under $6k. (Got to love the deals at private dealerships. :2thumbsup: It had recently suffered from a break in, so the dealer replaced all the broken door panels, put in new Infinity Gold Spekers, and threw in a stereo that I had purchased but never put in the Rodeo.

Right away the bad luck seemed to start. I drove it for a while problem free. Soon after I noticed a slight oil leak, so $300 later, the main seal on the engine was fixed, along with a broken coolant sensor.

Soon after, I was hit in the school parking lot. Of course the security camera's didn't catch the guy who did it, so I looked for someone to paint my fender. A local guy the auto's teacher at our school knew painted it for $100, and although the paint was not a 100% perfect match, it was good for me.

(forgive me for not having pictures at this stage, my photobucket acount died. :confused:)

For Christmas that year I got a Rockford Fosgate 12" sub in a ported box along with a 300 watt amp. I spent 8 hours in the cold hooking everything up and running all the wires. (I'm really anal about wiring, everything has to look perfect.) It sounded great, and really helped the quality of my music.

A little wiring:

That winter, I was riding around on a set of Bridgestone Dueler racing slicks, and one of my rims ended up with a little curb rash.

So I found a great deal on a set of 245/70/r16 Wild Country XRT's. $100 a tire from a local tire shop and a $50 dollar allignment seemed good, and I love the tires. Also picked up a new rim from the JY for $80 to replace the one I destroyed in the snow. Great on the highway, in snow, rain, you name it. -Dad said no to AT's and MT's as "they wouldn't be economical on the highway driving to and from college".

So I rode like that for a while.

See less See more
#34 ·
Sweet, thanks. I'm working on getting some new tires very soon.

So our Thanksgiving break "To Do" list looks something like this?

1. Replace CV joint connecting front drive shaft to transfer case.
2. Replace all 4 shocks with Fat Bob replacements.
3. Hunt.
4. Put meat missle in a nice buck.

lol, I am overly excited for break.
Yep looks good.

Got my CV boot and CV shaft replaced. I'm currently driving without a front drive shaft because my CV joint is done. Will get a new one ordered and then replace that along with the 4 replacement shocks I have in a week or two when I'm home for thanksgiving.

#33 ·
So our Thanksgiving break "To Do" list looks something like this?

1. Replace CV joint connecting front drive shaft to transfer case.
2. Replace all 4 shocks with Fat Bob replacements.
3. Hunt.
4. Put meat missle in a nice buck.

lol, I am overly excited for break.

#36 ·
Got the CV joint on the front drive shaft replaced, along with 4 new shocks put on since the old were crap. Everything is better for now, trying to come up with some tires!

#37 ·
Well I got 4 245/75/16 BFG rugged terrain ta's today, going on first thing in the morning, will have pictures. Finally an alignment to fix the death wobble I got after the lift, just never got it fixed. The tires measure out to be 30.5" tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.