Mikes 05 Unlimbited Rubicon Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Mikes 05 Unlimbited Rubicon Build

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #76
mgclark6

Now for the reason i wanted to update my thread.....Finally got my tires. Cooper Discoverer ST 255/85/16, equal to about 33.2"x10". Great in snow (better than the Duratracs that were on it)

Clearance will be tight, no offroading till i lift another 2", but no rubbing when turning. Lift is next!.....soon!

image-1519537698.jpg

image-2970561197.jpg

mgclark6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #77
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tires look good , time for a tax refund lift !

I have a pair of 1.5"coil spacers somewhere in the garage if you want them ?
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #78
mgclark6

I've been planning on the OME ultimate kit from Dirk at DPG, I wonder if 1.5 would be tall enough to stuff those skinny tires into the wheel wells? Did you run them with stock track bars with no problems?

That would save money to finish my 4.6 Stroker....you got me thinkin now.
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #79
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I never ran them , not even sure where they came from ! I dont think they would hurt , and other than a slightly off center axle they should help a bit . Its just two of them , so you will have to come up with two more . As to the Ultimate lift , skip the JKS arms and get some with Johnny Joints or the Metal Cloak joints . My JKS arms started clunking at very low mileage , and while on paper the design is good the Clevite bushings just dont last .
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #80
mgclark6

Now that i have some free time, here is the long version of my stroker story.

Once i had everything together and in Jeep it was GREAT! I was loving the power! And i only dropped to 13mpg. Cruising down the highway i developed an engine noise. pulled the engine (again) and before tearing down completely i found that my exhaust manifold was cracked. Awesome right? Now i have an excuse for the borla header ive been researching. A week later, header arrived and got everything back in Jeep.....Same noise!

So, pulled the engine (again) and tore everything apart to find my #6 piston was seizing up on the wrist pin. Piston slap, was the noise i was hearing. I was told that stock injectors would be fine....but i was told wrong. I was running too hot/lean, whatever. Im still learning.

I ordered a new piston and the 24# injectors that i should have started with. Reassembly is pretty quick now, getting good at this. During first drive after install i had a terrible squealing noise that i can assume was small bits going through my oil gallery and taking out my bearings. Total frustration had set in and i started researching crate engines.

A few days later i decided on ATK crate and i paid extra to keep my core. My stroker project is put on hold until a later date. I will wait until the weather warms up before i even tear it apart.

I did however, talk to the shop that did my machine work. He said $75.00 to check all tolerances and mic everything and another $150.00 to assemble. Im hoping that bearings are the parts that i will need.

Im new at this, Im still learning. One thing i learned, is that when you have an engine out, on a stand, CHECK EVERYTHING! It might cost a bit more for gaskets, but it will save you in the long run. Another thing is CLEAN EVERYTHING! The smallest debris can cause a lot of trouble.

Then, i got my new tires.

Okay, all caught up on my build thread now, lol.
Unread 02-14-2014, 01:12 AM   #81
mgclark6

I got my valentine some new floor mats, an underseat ccw drawer/lockbox and a new subwoofer! I love you Jeep!
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #82
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice looking LJ rubi. How far away are you from the lift do you think?
AdamH07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #83
michigan37

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome looking LJ! What part of ohio are you in? I'm in West Chester. If you go with the spacer lift, I have a track bar bracket laying in my garage that you can have, bought it when I put my lift on, but ended up getting a JKS adjustable track bar. If we're close, we can meet up.
michigan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #84
mgclark6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH07
Nice looking LJ rubi. How far away are you from the lift do you think?
Going to wait for warmer weather. Probably March or April.
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #85
mgclark6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan37
Awesome looking LJ! What part of ohio are you in? I'm in West Chester. If you go with the spacer lift, I have a track bar bracket laying in my garage that you can have, bought it when I put my lift on, but ended up getting a JKS adjustable track bar. If we're close, we can meet up.
I'm not too far. Bout an hour north in Tipp City.
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #86
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgclark6 View Post
I got my valentine some new floor mats, an underseat ccw drawer/lockbox and a new subwoofer! I love you Jeep!
What lockbox did you get ?
Unread 02-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #87
mgclark6

I got the bestop box that can be used with fold and tumble seat
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #88
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I got the bestop box that can be used with fold and tumble seat
Unless they have changed it , be prepared for some chopping . I like mine a lot , but I had to cut the fold and tumble out of mine to get it to clear . In retrospect I wish I had lifted the seat instead and that would have eliminated the seat frame chopping .
Unread 02-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #89
mgclark6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Unless they have changed it , be prepared for some chopping . I like mine a lot , but I had to cut the fold and tumble out of mine to get it to clear . In retrospect I wish I had lifted the seat instead and that would have eliminated the seat frame chopping .
Oh, not happy to hear that. I spent the extra money hoping this one would fit. Im too busy to test fit now, but I'll let you know how it works.
Unread 02-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #90
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, not happy to hear that. I spent the extra money hoping this one would fit. Im too busy to test fit now, but I'll let you know how it works.
Heres a link to the seat chopping I needed to clear the Bes Top drawer .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...l#post13702222

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.