Might as well start a build thread now..My 1990 Yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Might as well start a build thread now..My 1990 Yj

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Might as well start a build thread now..My 1990 Yj

I am going to do my best to do a build thread. I got my yj is good shape, so all of the stuff I have done to it aren't really major things since it is not a "restore" thread. I tried taking pics of the things I did, but what usually ended up happening was me taking pics in the beginning of the work, and then not taking pics while doing the work because I just wanted to get it done. I am going to try to take more pics as I do more mods to the jeep now....I am improving I think . Plus its been hard for me to get stuff done on the jeep because I work full time, am taking grad classes, and recently got engaged. So now I have to spend time and money on wedding planning which end with me not giving the jeep the attention it deserves

I bought my 1990 Yj over a year ago and it is my first jeep I have owned. It is originally from Arizona, so it is super clean compared to any other YJs in Michigan that I have seen. It is completely rust free! It has a straight 6 all stock and the ax-15. I bought it with rancho lift (I think it was just the added leaf kit but I'm not sure. It does have the rancho shocks and a transfer case lowering kit). It also came with almost brand new 31" BFG All-terrains. It also came with a nice big oil leak that poured oil all over my driveway after the 2 hour ride home. I guess that was my welcoming to the jeep family .

Here are some pics from right when I bought it. The PO put a spiced tan top on it and put matching spiced bestop seats in it as well. I personally don't like tan with white, but I had to deal with it because I was still finishing up college and was completely broke.

First thing I did was look into the oil leak. The fuel pump gasket and the valve cover gaskets ended up being the culprits. I replaced the fuel pump gasket and was going to replace the valve cover gasket when I realized all of the bolts for the valve cover were lose! I tightened them down and no more oil leak.

By then it was the end of the summer and I wanted to find a hardtop. I hated the tan so I went searching for a black one. I ended up getting a 2 piece hardtop w/ hard upper doors made by steelhorse. I got the top for $250 and got home to do research on it only to find out that Steelhose was known for terrible quality. By then it was too late so I had to test it out. I got it on the jeep and have actually been happy with it. It seals up great and I think it looks great. I did notice the hinges on it and other hardware are lower quality, but it is still in great shape so it works for me. I also sprayed the cheap bed liner stuff on the entire underbody to help protect it from the michigan weather. Plus, the white fenders on the underbody were not cutting it for me and I wanted it to look tougher.

Next I wanted to get the jeep running better. That meant removing all of those extra vacuum lines and emissions junk that probably didn't work. I got a weber 32/36 carb and also gave the jeep a team rush tune up. I also ended up adding a new fuel pump in the process because the other one was giving me issues. It all made a huge difference! The funny thing is that I have been driving the jeep for over a year with the weber on it and just discovered a week ago that the throttle linkage was binding up and the 2nd barrel wasn't even opening. I thought the jeep ran good then.... it is a whole new motor now that fixed the linkage and both barrels open. I love the sound of it when I open it up.

The first pic is showing Some of the crap I removed...

The next things I did included adding front tow hooks, painting my rims gloss black, and adding in flush mount leds. I loved doing all three of these mods since they helped make my jeep start to look tough finally (in my opinion at least). The only thing I wish I could change are the letters on the tires. I wish the PO would have put the white letters on the inside.

I feel like I am rambling on now... I know I'm missing some stuff but other mods I did were upgrade the blower motor to a blazer blower motor, painted my dash and door panels black, replaced the door hinges because the old ones were shot, painted my tuffy locking metal box black, added a bestop center console (which I would not recommend. Its made of cheap plastic and isn't very good quality. I expected more out of bestop actually). I will add more as I can think of it and find the pics for it.

uhohthe50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lol I hope someone actually reads my really long post above. I decided to start a build thread because I just started gathering everything to swap my axles for 4:10 axles. I bought a 4:10 ford 8.8 with disc brakes for $215 and just got a 4:10 dana 30 for $85 today. I started tearing down the dana 30 to get it ready to go in the jeep. Time to get rid of the crappy 307 gearing! Below are some more pics:

4:10!!!!

My new best friend for the axle swap

I went with some rustoleum hammer tone paint because I had a few cans laying around. I like it because its tough paint and sticks well. I would have liked to gone with a gloss black, but I need to try and keep this cheap and use what I have.

My brothers jeep... my motivation for the yj

Heres the 8.8 I will be working on once I'm done with the front axle. Not sure how I am going to get it done since I do not have a welder and haven't done much research for it yet. I did buy the M.O.R.E conversion kit a few months back for it when I actually got the axle.

And here are just some random pics of the jeep over the past year:

This one was right after I painted the rims black

Loaded down...lol

Unread 11-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

WOW that is sweet! Getting a clean southern YJ is the way to go IMO. Wish I could help with the 8.8, but NY is a bit of a drive (retired welder)... I got mine down south too... turns out there is *not* a lot of these up north here especially not that clean.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not a bad deal $85.00 for a 4.10 d30, what a great find! And that two piece hard top for $250.00 is a gold nugget if you ask me. I see used YJ hard tips going for 400+ at times here in Florida.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Where in Michigan are you ? Guessing the West side of the state.

I am up 94 between Detroit and Port Huron.

Nice looking YJ !!
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
WOW that is sweet! Getting a clean southern YJ is the way to go IMO. Wish I could help with the 8.8, but NY is a bit of a drive (retired welder)... I got mine down south too... turns out there is *not* a lot of these up north here especially not that clean.
Thanks! I wish you were closer too . I'm sure I will get it figured out one way or another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Not a bad deal $85.00 for a 4.10 d30, what a great find! And that two piece hard top for $250.00 is a gold nugget if you ask me. I see used YJ hard tips going for 400+ at times here in Florida.
Yeah I have been searching for a little while now. The guy didn't want to go below $100, but I had to drive an hour to get it so I convinced him to come down. The thing was filthy when I got it. The pics I have are after I took it and power washed it off. It looks like it has almost new brake pads and wheel bearings though. As for the hard top... Steelhorse has a bad rep so I think most people stay away from their products. I like it though so far since it is a two piece and it hasn't given me any issues so far. I love craigslist!
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Where in Michigan are you ? Guessing the West side of the state.

I am up 94 between Detroit and Port Huron.

Nice looking YJ !!
Yeah I live in Grand Rapids now. I am originally from the east side though (Holly). Once I get some other stuff done on the jeep I do want to head that way to the mounds in Mt Morris
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post

That reminds me of something

Nice Jeep
But then the bug hits you and it turns to this

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
That reminds me of something

Nice Jeep
But then the bug hits you and it turns to this
Thats my jeeps long lost twin. Hopefully mine will get to how yours is now.
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, I got the front axle swapped out. I did it all by myself, so it took me longer than I expected. Overall it wasn't that hard. I just have a limited supply of tools so half the battle for me is finding the right tool I need.

Prepped and ready to go:

Getting ready to take the old one out

The old one is out and getting ready to put the new one in. I had my brother help getting the old one out and the new one in.

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...t=DSCN0599.jpg

All set in place! I put my old pads and rotors on the new axle. I tested the vacuum pump (using my mouth for the vacuum lol) for the 4wd on the new axle and it seemed to be working fine, but I ended up swapping my old pump on the new axle because the nipples for the vacuum lines were a little different and my plug worked better with the old one. Now I have a spare vacuum pump and 2 spare calipers. I am tempted to do a homemade posilock on the extra setup that I have and put it in the jeep.

I'm happy I got that over with and now its time to start working on the 8.8 for the rear. The brakes are completely shot on it so it looks like I will have to get all new parts. I guess it wasn't such a great deal for the 8.8 afterall . Until then, all I have is 2wd

Poser shot...My jeep, my brothers TJ, and his g/f's JK

Unread 11-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

YJ looks best in the picture ^^^^

Can we get a picture of brothers girlfriend ? > Strictly for diagnostic purposes, of course
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Assuming the rest of my parts come in, I'm hoping to get the 8.8 in by the end of the weekend. If they don't come in I'm thinking I could at least get the perches and shock mounts welded in. The problem is that I ordered the rear shock extension brackets by MORE and I don't know if I will get them in time.

I'm also nervous about not going with the SYE but I don't really have more money for it right now... This 8.8 swap cost added up pretty quick. Any opinions on not going with the SYE?
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
YJ looks best in the picture ^^^^

Can we get a picture of brothers girlfriend ? > Strictly for diagnostic purposes, of course
LOL we will let him post those up if he wants... hes somewhere around on this forum
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What are you going to do about that tierod angle?

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
What are you going to do about that tierod angle?
Whats the angle roughly supposed to be at? Everything isn't hooked up in that pic so it may be deceiving...if you look close enough I don't even have the u bolts hooked up on the passenger side.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.