MG's 2000 2Dr Build "Greyhound" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MG's 2000 2Dr Build "Greyhound"

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
obauer809
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great man... congrats on getting a 2 door

Unread 11-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Had it inspected today, passed everything except for the brakes. It needed a new rotor on the drivers side. The guy at the shop even said everything was super clean!

One thing I have noticed though is a lot of build up inside the coolant reservoir/overflow tank, Im going to take a deeper look and if it needs it have the coolant system fully flushed.

I also ordered a matching set of Polk speakers for the rear speaker bar. My front speakers are a discontinued model from a few years ago so I was having a hard time finding a matching set for the rear but I then stumbled upon caraudioclassifieds.org and found a brand new pair recently listed. Got em for a good price and they should be here friday.
Utah Jeep Crew Member #119
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
mg2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #18
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

In one of the first pictures i saw your brothers LJ just sitting in the garage, so sad....So why selling the first xj, Just want to start something new? If you do this one anything like your other it will be a great one to watch..
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #19
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jack5 View Post
In one of the first pictures i saw your brothers LJ just sitting in the garage, so sad....one to watch..
Very sad, I know...
Unread 12-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #20
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Its been a while since I have made any updates but I have bought some stuff and done a little bit of work on the jeep recently.

I ended up buying those wheels and tires I had previously posted. They are 16" icons off a 4dr classic and they came with some almost bald 245/75/16 MTRs off a rubicon. I have them in my shed now as I debate what to do with them. It looks like the metric equivalent of a 33x10.5 only comes in a few options and all I have found seem to be load range e. Does anyone run tires of this load range on their dd? Im thinking this is a bit too stiff and will possibly sell the wheels. Id rather keep them and hopefully I will.

On another note I bought another set of speakers to match the front Polk components I am swapping in from my old xj. This series of speaker has been discontinued for a few years and I lucked out finding a brand new pair on caraudioclassifieds.org. Its a great forum for buying new/used car audio equipment and if anyone wants to check it out use this link:
Car Audio Classifieds - Buy, Sell and Trade Car Audio Equipment

comps with tweeters and crossovers

new coaxials with crossovers

So far I have taken the door panels off, removed the inner plastic covering and cut out one speaker grill on the panels. Im using the install that I had done by the professionals at Tweeter as a guide and so far its going pretty well. I hate car wiring but I try to do it as cleanly as possible and to the best of my ability.

doors and door panels

I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut out the grill then I cleaned it up with a small sanding barrel

this is how it will look when installed

Im also trying to figure out if I can find the pieces needed to flush mount the tweeters into the door panel. Tweeter used a small housing that sits on top of the door panel which holds the tweeter in. If I can find what I need I will mount the tweeter here,

if not, it will be mounted the same as Tweeter did it here,

I still need to strip the plastic off the passenger side door and cut out the grill on the drivers side. Driving around with no door panels is interesting, especially when I have people in my car who dont know how to get out haha . I think I will be ordering Second Skin Damplifier or Damplifier Pro for sound deadening, Damplifier Pro - Automotive Sound Deadener CLD Vibration damping mat - See what all the fuss is about.

I will likely run all new wires to the speakers and Im still debating what I want to do for an amp. Might end up being this one from Alpine for ease of install, Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack Upgrade your Alpine receiver to 45 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com.

Again, thanks for looking and any and all comments are welcome. Stay tuned
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #21
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have that alpine power pack, and i love it, my single most favorite sound system mod. I have a similar headunit to you, mine is that ida 300x or something like that. How exactly did you get a standard 3.5 mm jack to work with it?

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #22
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

2doorxj, this is what I use to plug the 3.5mm into, http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/kca-121b/. I then use a standard Monster 3.5mm>rca cable.

I have done some work on the jeep but I didnt have my camera around. Got the power cable, 6 channels worth of rca cables and the remote wires all run under the trim and carpet. Mounted my amp under the back seat and got my 12" sub and box all installed.

I still need to put in the 4ch amp, run all new speaker wire and mount the speakers. I havent gotten to them because I have recently injured my knee snowboarding, looking like a torn meniscus.
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Alright guys, got some updates.

I tore my acl snowboarding about 5 weeks ago and since then I have been out of work and not able to do much. Had surgery last wednesday and have 4-6 months of recovery to go. That's the worst of the update so now that that is out of the way we'll get back to the jeep.

I got the green jeep sold for $3200, a little less than what I was looking for but now that Im not working I need the money for survival. And now that I have that money its burning a hole in my pocket, more on that later.

I recently installed a 2" bb on a neighbors tj who is now getting rid of his pristine eccos on 30x9.50 tires. He said I can have them in payment for the install. So I now have 5 more wheels and a decision on which wheels I want to go with. Eccos or Icons, whats your vote?

I got the rest of the stereo installed (4ch amp, components and tweeters installed up front and new coaxial speakers in the soundbar. I will try to get out to the garage to get some pictures tomorrow.

Now that I have the stereo done and the wheels I really want to get a small lift on the jeep until I can get to my planned 4.5-5.5" lift and 33s. I have been thinking about doing a 3" lift using shackle brackets and shackles for the rear and 3" coils and an adjustable trackbar. Then Id run either 245/75s or 31x10.5s.

Thats the dilemma Im having now. Being outta work, I know I should save the money to get through the next few months until I find a new job buuuut Id love to spend a little on the jeep to tide me over for a while (likely summer). Any thoughts or opinions?
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #24
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Turn one of those sets into ravines and i'll gladly take em
Unread 02-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #25
MCObray

Either Eccos or Icons are both great looking wheels. If it were me, I would go with the Icons. Nice looking 2dr btw.
Unread 02-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #26
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

bummer you had to sell your other jeep, and for so cheap. i loved your green jeep

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #27
Peej03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That yellow xj is awesome.

1982 CJ5 - RIP 9/3/12

1971 AMC Javelin
Peej03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #28
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The eccos are more user friendly with tire sizes and load ranges but the icons are more unique and I personally like them better.

I wish I didnt have to get rid of the green one but it was to the point where I either needed to so a major axle swap and trailer it (dont have a truck or trailer) or do some major rebuilding to get it road worthy and reliable enough for everyday driving. If I can afford to do this one the way I want to it will be even nicer than the old one.

That yellow one is so clean and its go the stock look going on which I really like.

Right now the plan is to lift it around 5-5.5" and run 33x10.5s or the metric equivalent.
-either Clayton's 3 link or Poly Performance's 3 link, 4.5" springs with a spacer to level it
-depending on which 3 link I run I will run either a modified TnT belly skid or the JCR/DPG skid
-frame stiffeners, maybe front stiffeners too
-3.5" IRO leaves with a Clayton adjustable shackle and HDoffroad shackle boxes
-sliders of course, I like JCR's stage 3 but I dont about their quality control
-not sure what kind of trackbar, maybe Clayton or a custom one.

I have a hp30 and a xj44 in the garage, both will get 4.56s and probably an ARB in the rear. Maybe a truss on the front, we'll see what kind of money I have rolling in. Im going to have to find a job now that Im out of work for my knee.

I think I have decided to go with a silver/gunmetal color scheme. Wheels, bumpers, longarms, sliders, etc. will be gunmetal.

Once a company comes out with nice looking tube fenders Ill chop mine up and put on 35s buts that far off.
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #29
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Keep the icons and go with Maxxis Bighorn tires. I believe you can get them in your desired sizes and you can get them from a dealer on ebay at a good price.

31"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NEW...Q5fAccessories

32"

33"
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #30
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The size is easy to find the issue Im having is the load range. Id like to keep the ride as comfortable as possible but with a load range d or e tire it will be much stiffer.

Edit: Platinum, you're the man. Ill definitely check those out.
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.