MG's 2000 2Dr Build "Greyhound" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MG's 2000 2Dr Build "Greyhound"

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

MG's 2000 2Dr Build "Greyhound"

Hey guys, I recently picked up my new cherokee. Its a 2000 silverstone sport, 2 door with 63k miles on it.

I took an 8 1/2 hour greyhound bus ride at 2am from downtown Baltimore to Danville Va and then drove the 6 hours home. That is how it got its name too. I had been searching for another limited but found this one and went with it.

My goal with this rig is to keep it in good condition and daily drivable for the next few years while building it to handle what I throw at it now problem.

I will be using some of these jeeps as inspiration:

TheEddie's old xj

FyrFytr1717 on NAXJA

Unknown

XJeeper on NAXJA

Unknown

DrMoab on NAXJA

I plan on building mine in 2 stages. First would be 3" lift or so with 31s while I armor it up, do a full stereo install and other less major mods. I will save up as I do this stage and then move onto stage 2.

The second stage would consist of building the hp30 and xj44 I have, 5-5.5" lift and 33x10.5s. I will not be cutting fenders and chopping this one up like I did with my first rig.

This build will be using the knowledge I have learned in the past few years to build a rig more suitable for my needs with quality parts. It isnt going to be the fastest build ever but Ill do what I can when I can. Summer is when I make most of my money so as we get closer Ill start making bigger purchases.

Here is a link to my first build if anyone wants to take a look, its currently for sale.
http://jeepforum.com/forum/f22/mg200...thread-604616/

And here is a link to the album I will be posting all my pictures of this jeep in.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/578942535XRvDny

Utah Jeep Crew Member #119
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
mg2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pictures!!

First mod, mounted my maglite on the console

I have also ordered smoked turn signals and side markers off ebay as well as front/rear/trunk floormats by Husky

Should be picking up these wheels at the end of the month as well

Next up should be some tint for the rear windows and a full stereo install.
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 11-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A few more pictures

The upholstery

Engine

My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 11-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Space reserved for a build sheet/parts list.
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 11-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I got my floor mats in today as well as the turn signal/side markers.

The floor mats: The quality is much lower than I expected. They are made of thin plastic like material formed to fit the floor area. My $30 pair of front mats from sears are of higher quality. The fitment of them all is pretty good but nothing exceptional. My overall impression is I should have saved $250 for something else and went with cheap mats from somewhere local. I have them now so I will keep them and let them do their job of keeping the floor and carpet nice and clean.

I also had ordered smoked turn and marker lenses and I am very happy with these. I got them from a seller on Ebay and there should be plenty more available if anyone is interested. They are of OEM quality.

I used this listing of the bulbs in cherokees to get the right amber colored bulbs for the lenses.
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/AutoLRG-Results.htm

Mats installed

Not too happy with the fitment of the rear trunk mat, might trim down the edge closest to the hatch

Installed lenses/lights

I will pick up a can of VHT Nightshades to do the tail lights and third brake light soon.

Here is another thread/jeep build I will be using for inspiration. One of my favorite jeeps, rocknxj's on NAXJA
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1025143

Thanks for looking
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 11-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i was thinking of the smoked lenes, how do you like them?? great 2 door
Unread 11-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I really like the way they turned out. Changed the whole look of the front end. I ended up paying around $55 shipped to my door which is about the max I would spend on something like these. The company selling them also had tail lights with a smoked lens in place of the orange and those looked great but they wanted $90 for those and that is just too much when I can spend around $160 for JCR 1/4 armor with tail light boxes.
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 11-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
1slosvt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cool, man! Congrats!! It really took 8 1/2 hrs to go from Baltimore to Danville?!?! I'd be demanding my money back.
1slosvt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good bro, after seeing your last one Im interested to see how this turns out

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Already threw the K2 sticker on there? Or got it that way?

Looks really good though man, real clean...gotta love the 2 doors too.
Unread 11-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosvt View Post
Cool, man! Congrats!! It really took 8 1/2 hrs to go from Baltimore to Danville?!?! I'd be demanding my money back.
Yes unfortunately, we had a few other stops and around 530am they kicked us off the bus for an hour while they switched buses or something. I dont plan on ever taking another bus ride again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Lookin good bro, after seeing your last one Im interested to see how this turns out
Thanks, this one will be smaller but more well built I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997_Sport View Post
Already threw the K2 sticker on there? Or got it that way?

Looks really good though man, real clean...gotta love the 2 doors too.
I put that sticker on the night I got home, they had so much oily/waxy stuff all over the jeep I had a hard time getting it to stay. I never thought Id be driving a 2 door but the more I drive it the more I like it.

My name should be red soon too
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why not send the mats back and get ur money back? Just get front mats unless your gonna be carrying alot of stuff around that gets dirty, great low mileage xj.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Why not send the mats back and get ur money back? Just get front mats unless your gonna be carrying alot of stuff around that gets dirty, great low mileage xj.
The mats will do what they are designed to do and that's the main reason I got them. They might not be as nice as I wanted but I already have them and they'll work. I dont want to deal with shipping stuff back either.
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well this is just cute...
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #15
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Stereo

Logan, I just want it to be as cute as yours, that's my main goal for the build.

Started the stereo install tonight. I started with cleaning up the wiring harness from my other xj. It was all hooked up and ready to go but the wiring was a mess, this is what I ended up with.

My headunit has ipod controls built in so I can plug it in and never have to actually touch the ipod. On my other xj I ran the cable under the center console and cut a hole in the center console bucket and let it sit in there. I didnt like this because I wasnt able to lock it up without removing it and putting it in the glove box. So where did I run the cable on this one? The glove box of course. I ran the wire behind the headunit, through the dash and into the glove box from the back

To keep the cable from falling back into the dash I drilled two small holes for a zip tie.

Now I can leave the glove box locked while still being able to use my ipod.

I also use my droid for music which means I needed a 3.5mm headphone jack somewhere. In my old xj I had one ran under the center console to the ash tray and left the wire coiled up inside when not in use. I did this pretty much exactly as I had done before.

I drilled the hole in this position only to realize the cable wouldnt fit in the compartment where the ash tray drops into. I redrilled the hole in the rear of the try slightly offset to the left and it fit perfectly.

Put a zip tie around the cable to keep it from sliding back into the center console and we were good to go.

All installed

Next up will be speakers and most likely a new sub and amp. I will swap the Polk components from the old xj into this one and when Im done typing this Im buying a set of Polk coax speakers to match the fronts.

Im going to install the front speakers like I had them on the old xj but I will mount the crossovers inside the door. Like this,

Thanks for looking
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.